Raumin "Ray" Dehghan wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> does anybody have any recommendations of books and/or websites that explain
> css
> layout in very simple, straightforward language?
>
> For example, i'm trying to understand why pixels seem to be easier to work
> with than percentages, etc.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> -Raumin "Ray" Dehghan
> West Chicago Public Library
> West Chicago, Illinois

Ray,

This is the only book on CSS that I have ever looked at and it is very
simple, quite straight forward, and very practical:
<http://www.cookwood.com/html5ed/>. I think their is a list of books and
other resources on the list wiki.

I suppose if you have fixed width elements, such as images in your
layout, that fixed width layouts may be easier to work with tha
percentage width layouts.  As the window narrows fixed width elements
become difficult to keep from escaping their containers with percent
widths.

But as I remember your layout (although I can't find your uri at the
moment) and the difficulties you were having
had more to do with the fact that you structured your layout using
absolute positioning. Float structured layouts work much better.
Your difficulty perhaps has less to do with CSS than a misconception in
understanding the Web. It is a fluid medium. Absolute positioning is
brittle and best avoid for the basic layout structure.

If you like, write me off-list and I''ll attempt to help you get your
layout functioning cross-browser.

Best,
~dL

--