Alan Chandler wrote:
> In firefox I can make this overall area position itself under the header
> and fill the rest of the browser window with the following css
>
> #loginContent {
>       position:absolute;
>       top:140px;
>       left:0px;
>       bottom:0px;
>       width:100%;
>       min-height:300px;
> }
>
> In IE6 the size of this div appears to be one line.  How can I make it
> fill the rest of the window?
>
> Similarly, the size of the internal boxes
>
> #chatList {
>       position:absolute;
>       left:20px;
>       right:230px;
>       top:50px;
>       bottom:125px;
>       overflow:auto;
> }
>
> Gives a fixed size box in firefox, but in IE6 it only has the size of
> the content and so initially starts small and then grows as more and
> more messages come in.  So how can I contain that box to the size
> relative to its surrounding div?

You can't span an absolutely positioned element with opposite offsets in
IE. Any solution would have to set it with top/left only, so you'll need
a height and a width. Min-height is not supported in IE6, therefore, the
first one collapses to one line by 100% width. The second one
shrinks-to-fit its content without width and height. A dilemma is that
you cannot tell a browser to do the math of 100%height minus 20px minus
125px. Your absolute positioning attempt needs a general rethinking
because of this dilemma.

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html