Ron Zisman wrote:
> http://www.ricochet.org/ricochet2/company_principal.html

> font question/issue
>
> originally, i speced .8em font size on html/body
>
> looked and worked fine. i know it's a no-no as i've been informed it
> causes issue in msie, i have been taught (by a list member) to use
> 100% on body and rescale further down the document.
>
> when i use 100% on body/html, and move the .8em to the wrapper, i
> don't get what i'm looking for. it would be nice to size the font
> once and forget it.

You had 'html, body {font-size: .8em;}'

That equals 'html {font-size: .8em;}' = 80% followed by 'body
{font-size: .8em;}' = 80%, and the sum of 80% x 80% is around 65%.

html {font-size: 100%;}
body {font-size: .65em;}

...or any other combination that starts with percentage and ends up at
around 65%, will give you a starting-point around the 65% of normal
browser default you're aiming for. So, declaring...

html {/* no font size */}
body {font-size: 65%;}
...will end up where you started without triggering any IE/win bugs.

Side note: do I have to remind you that "starting small" makes it less
likely that the actual font size will survive 'minimum font size' in a
few browsers..?
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_1_03_04.html>

regards
        Georg