HI all,
    This one friend of mine, who has his finger on things pretty well in my
own estimation, sent me this yesterday, or maybe even the night before, but I
think it was yesterday, (I've been very busy, and in pain), and I thought I'd
pass it on. I don't actually have his permission to do so, which is why I
always post his stuff nameless. If you don't trust me, (and how can you
really? :>) you don't have to take my word for it, but he is a pretty smart
guy who has written some really incredible articles, so at least take a look.
These are simple ramblings, plus the Reuters piece.
    Peace all,
Preston (this is unexpurgated, other than for the sig, so excuse any foul
lingo please)

Preston--Thanx for sending me that AP item about some arms smugglers
getting busted in Peru. I got so excited I went surfing for more, and found
this fresh new expanded version of the caper from Reuters, below.

This preposterous arms-running circus, by golly, is what Mike Ruppert was
telling you about a few weeks back, where these Russkie mafiosi load up
their AK-47 pallets into great big 707-sized Ilyushin transport jets in the
Jordanian Royal Airlines hanger in Amman, and fly those Ilyushins all the
way across the Atlantic Ocean [presumably they get refueled in the air from
little tanker jets, I suppose, like the opening sequence in DR
STRANGELOVE], and then all the 3000-mile way across Brasil to the Andes,
and then kick out the guns into the southern Colombia jungle near the
FARC's 'Frente 16' base camp, and then land somewhere in South America to
load up with dope for the return flight to Europe. Sez in this Reuters
story they land at the Iquitos airport, which is sort of news to me,
because I did not know that shabby little strip at Iquitos could handle
anything nearly as big as 707 transport jets. But then, if there's enough
bribe money involved, these dopers can annul all the laws of aerodynamics,
I imagine.

What this looks like to ME, I don't mind telling you, is a big old STING
operation set up last winter by clever US spooks, with the Peruvian and
Colombian security services doing all the heavy lifting and bribery. The
whole fucking modus operandum was described in vast detail by MSNBC last 10
April, leaked to them by the same press-feeding DIA spooks who keep the
Washington TIMES full of patriotic spook stories like this. This fable
served its purpose by convincing a lot of US Congressfolk that unless they
voted for that $1.3B Drug War package to Colombia, on the table last April,
then they would be crucified for letting the FARC move dope and arms all
over the world with these Russkie mafiosi in Jordan. (Whereas, if they ever
look DEEPLY into that end of this caper, which they won't--but if they DID
look for it, I guarantee you they would find that all those Rooskie mafiosi
are on contract with the Mossad.) (MSNBC was told by the spooks that these
mafiosi were working with the HEZBOLLAH! And they PRINTED that!)

So why does this caper suddenly get recycled NOW for headlines? Why,
because it makes Vladimiro Montesinos, the incredibly spooky and filthy
head of the Peruvian spook services, suddenly INTEGRAL to United States
National Security. Montesinos actually came out in public, for the first
time in years, to advertise this anti-Communist arms bust, standing right
at the side of President Fujimori. As recently as last week, Fuji was
promising to Do Something about Montesinos, who has been fingered by the
OAS and the US State Department as the evildoer who fixed the election for
Fuji so blatantly last month. The DoState has actually made noises about
making future aid to Peru conditional on Fuji kicking Montesinos out of the
government. (Which might be tough for Fujimori, not least because
officially, Montesinos isn't IN the government, having no official post,
drawing no official salary, anyhow.)

Ever since the election, see, Montesinos has been getting just terrible
press, and even Fujimori has been saying he has to go. But you won't be
hearing any more talk like that out of the Peruvian government, after this
splendid anti-Red arms bust, f'r shur! The innaresting thing will be to
watch how the US State Department talks about Monty from now on. Most
likely they'll never even mention him again. Yeah, he keeps his Get Out Of
Jail Free card from the CIA, just because he's taking credit now for a
spook operation the DIA ran last year, to goose Congress into passing the
Plan Colombia bill. Aw, fuck. --
                           Peru busts Colombia arms ring
                           By Reuters - 22 Aug 2000 10:23GMT

                                                  President Alberto
Fujimori said on Monday Peruvian
                                                  authorities had bust a
major international arms
                                                  smuggling ring that
parachuted thousands of weapons
                                                  into neighbouring
war-torn Colombia to supply leftist
                                                  rebels.

                                                  Fujimori said the
operation highlighted growing
                                                  concerns that the
conflict could intensify and spill into
                                                  Peru just as Washington
prepares to give $1.3 billion in
                                                  aid to Colombia to
support its war on drugs.

                           Authorities arrested six people, including three
former Peruvian military officials
                           and a Russian, who had smuggled some 10,000
Kalashnikov automatic rifles
                           over the last year from Jordan to Colombia, with
a stop in Peru's Amazon, in one of
                           the biggest arms busts in this Andean nation.

                           "We're not going to get involved in Colombia's
domestic affairs but once there's a
                           danger for Peru, the security services will
act," Fujimori told reporters in the
                           presidential palace, flanked by powerful and
secretive intelligence services chief
                           Vladimiro Montesinos in a rare public appearance.

                           Colombia has been ravaged by three decades of
fighting between Marxist rebels,
                           outlawed ultra-right paramilitary gangs and
state security forces that has killed
                           more than 35,000 people, mostly civilians, in
the last 10 years.

                           Peru shares hundreds of miles of remote jungle
border with Colombia and the
                           government, fearing the Colombian conflict could
spill over its frontiers, has
                           reinforced the region to fight incursions by
rebels or drug traffickers.

                           OPERATION SIBERIA

                           Fujimori said the trafficking, uncovered in what
Peru code-named "Operation
                           Siberia", was intended to supply Colombia's
biggest rebel army, the Revolutionary
                           Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), and had major
regional security overtones.

                           "Obviously, advances by the FARC and
strengthening of its firepower are a danger
                           for Peru," he said.

                           The appearance of Montesinos at the news
conference raised speculation that
                           Fujimori would announce a public post for the
powerful spy chief -- a proposal he
                           floated in July.

                           But Fujimori sidestepped the question. "I have
not said he will remain in the same
                           job -- I will consider this in the light of
national security," he said.

                           Illustrating the two-year-old Operation Siberia
with photographs, maps and
                           mug-shots of the detainees, he said the guns
were obtained using a false order
                           letter by a former Peruvian military official in
the Jordanian capital Amman.

                           The weapons were loaded onto a hired
Russian-made Ilyushin plane before
                           being flown via the Canary Islands and Guyana.

                           The guns were dropped in southern Colombia and
the plane continued to the
                           Peruvian jungle town of Iquitos, purportedly to
collect timber, Fujimori said.
                           Instead, it picked up drugs -- which was how the
trade was rumbled.

                           "The purchase of Kalashnikovs was made with
money from the drugs trade in
                           which the FARC is involved," Fujimori said,
adding Peruvian secret services had
                           not coordinated the operation with Colombian
authorities.

                           He said 2,500 guns were delivered in March 1999,
a further 2,500 in April that year
                           and another 5,000 in July 1999. Delivery of a
fourth consignment, which had been
                           in preparation, was thwarted when the
trafficking was uncovered.

                           The six were arrested in Peru and the former
military officials will face military as
                           well as civilian charges. The other detainees
included two Frenchmen, one a
                           naturalised Spaniard and the other a naturalised
American, and a woman.

<FONT COLOR="#000099">Free @Backup service!  Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online.  Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
</FONT><A HREF="http://click.egroups.com/1/6348/6/_/475667/_/967045553/"><B>Click
Here!</B></A>