-Caveat Lector-

-Caveat Lector->>What the hell is WRONG with this woman?  Why is she having
sex with
someone who she's afraid would beat her -- for ANY reason?>>

It may be necessary to spend time in 3rd world cultures to understand the
societal perspective.

About 10 years ago I spent some time in such a country. Some brave female
activists from the US had come down and were attempting to change the
consciousness and conditions of the local women.  They were setting up
clinics, day care, education, that type of thing.

The reproductive education was offered on the country's only radio station.
I was shocked - the information was presented on a very basic 6th grade
level.  *Ladies, let's talk about our bodies* and they would start at
ground 0 - ovaries, uterus, little sperms swimming, etc.  When they came to
the self-esteem part I cried when I realized the perspective - "Ladies, now
you are going to receive some modern information.  No one has the right to
beat you.  You own your body and don't have to let your man hit you..."  It
was going to be a very long haul.

The county that I live in within the US has a higher teenage unmarried
pregnancy rate than Harlem.  The local hospital routinely delivers a dozen
12-year old girls a year.  From personal experience I can tell you that 50%
of these girls were impregnated by a male family member, and by force.  The
little women's shelter is always full.  The local men won't use condoms,
either.  There isn't even a health dept. to run HIV tests.  The other 40
counties that surround me are the same.  Convincing a local woman with no
education, no skills, no vehicle, no money and no place to go with four
kids that she needs to leave the man who beats her is a long haul here,
too, and lots of your tax dollars are spent trying to do just that.

Perspective.....

Gail