from alt.talk.royalty:

Subject: Peerage to US citizen?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Louis Epstein)
Date: Wed, Dec 30, 1998 22:46 EST

The retiring chairman of Ford,Sir Alexander Trotman,is made a Life Peer
in the New Year Honours List.The Times article claims he is now a USA
citizen,which would make this award most unusual...he would not be
entitled to privileges of the peerage in the UK,and the title would
be ignored here.

(Not the only British-born head of a USA enterprise who has been
honoured lately....Sir Dennis Weatherstone is the immediate past
chairman of J.P. Morgan and Company...not sure of his citizenship,
but in each case when their knighthoods were mentioned I assumed
they had remained British).