-Caveat Lector-

Dear Jerry,  What you're responding to below was my post which was kindly
re-posted by Lloyd Miller, so . . . Before giving you "an honest liberal"
test, I can't refran from comments about Clinton being talented, for the
masses, etc. etc. etc. These sentiments are so out in fairytale land that I
confine my comments to a few sentences rather than a booklet-length
rebuttal: The Big Media can sink Clinton in a few days anytime they want --
and they would have in Jan 98 if he hadn't agreed to go after Iraq again and
to back off of any demands on Israel. Sure, Clinton WANTS to do the right
thing on occasion, maybe even on a lot of occasions, but he's so
blackmail-able, and so unprincipled when it comes to devotion to ANYTHING
vs. saving his own skin -- that he can always be put back in the tank and
made to be obedient again --- the blackmailable part of him, that's WHY he
was chosen to be president back in 1990 or so when he was attending all
those Bilderberger meetings over in the Netherlands with Dan Quayle et al.
He's talented at smoozing the public, but let's not get carried away. If he
was a bumbler, he would have been deemed "incompetent" to be put in the
presidency.

Mike Kinsley on Crossfire often gives his "honest conservative" test, and
often the recipient fails it because they can't say what major programs they
would cut in order to achieve their stated desire to decrease taxes (Howard
Phillips would never fail such as test.) But here's your honest liberal test
regarding computerized elections: Do you support a return to citizen checks
and balances at the polling places once again as we had in most places
before 1970? or do you support the present system where (excepting 70% of
New Hampshire) it is ILLEGAL for neighborhood citizens to count their own
votes with all factions witnessing, before they are whisked out of the
nieghborhood and run through computers by nameless faceless "experts" who
are unknown to the public and usually unknown to the Party Chairman
"guarenteeing the results? (Note: There's nothing to stop computers from
double checking the neighborhood count -- but that's not what the Ruling
Elite wants, because then it would be impossible to rig elections with the
flick of a switch from a central location.)

What is your answer to that question, Jerry? If you want to go back to
citizen checks and balances, then we have no quarrell, and I for one have NO
fear of the results, even with a biased media pumping out weighted polls. If
the Clintons and Barney Franks are still elected, so be it. But all my
experience, for what it's worth, SHOUTS that liberals and establishment
hacks are infinitely more resistant to restoring checks and balances than
libertarians and conservatives,

And if you are NOT for restoring citizen checks and balances at the
neighborhood precinct, then I think that settles which one of us "distrusts
the people" or "thinks the American people are stupid?"

I am eager to hear your reply, because I have found that Clinton-type
supporters invariably LOVE the current no-checks-and-balances computerized
vote tallying systems. Jim Condit Jr.