<A HREF="http://www.zolatimes.com/V3.2/pageone.html">Laissez Faire City Times
- Volume 3 Issue 2</A>
The Laissez Faire City Times
January 11, 1999 - Volume 3, Issue 2
Editor & Chief: Emile Zola
-----
Face to Face, We're All Geminis

a book review by William Westmiller

Having been born on June 1st, my astrologic sign is Gemini. The Twins
constellation suggests a dual personality. Happy and sad, strong and
weak, intelligent and passionate. A proverbial incarnation of the
conflicting passions in life. Granting even the smallest credence to the
influence of the stars on our lives, I've never met anyone - no matter
their birth sign - who wasn't a complex, ever-changing, multifaceted and
occasionally conflicted personality. If duality is the criteria, perhaps
we're all Geminis.

Dualism is a slightly strained effort to comprehend ourselves and
society. The distinct emotional and intellectual features we can
identify do seem to have degrees, from nearly nothing to the dominance
of one characteristic over others. Occasionally, for short periods in
our lives, one of those sentiments or inclinations will dominate all
others. For good reasons, we'll be timid, even fearful, about our
future. Then, in a new context, swing to the extreme of strength, even
bravery, in pursuing our dreams. The same occurs with intellectual
talents and inclinations. This duality never concerns us at the time,
simply because we are fully in the context of our own sentiments.
However, when we review them in the abstract, or in the society at
large, they seem different.

In the abstract, we tend to personify those temporary inclinations as
incarnate drives that propel us toward either good or evil. When we
consider the extreme poles of emotion and intellect, we fault the devil
for our failures and praise divinity for our successes. It seems to add
sense to our world to imagine some insuperable force of dualism at work
than to understand all the complexities in our lives or in society. So
we enjoy neat dualist categories of rich versus poor, conservative
versus liberal, strong versus week, libertarian versus totalitarian,
arts versus science, or Republican versus Democrat.

In her new book, The Future And Its Enemies, Virginia Postrel (editor of
Reason magazine) coins her own social dualism, the dynamists versus the
stasists. Dynamists are, of course, the friends of the future,
demonstrating creativity, enterprise and progress. Happy to have
everything always changing all the time. With prolific empirical
evidence, she makes the case for allowing these dynamic forces to flow
freely. On the other hand are the stasists, those tired, old
stick-in-the-muds, who want to suppress or control everything and
everybody. Dynamists are our salvation and stasists are our damnation.

We would probably all agree, to one extreme or another, with nearly all
the examples she presents, but Postrel's dualism suffers the same fault
as any. Even the most dynamic among us wants to lay down in a
comfortable bed at night, confident that our home is secure, dependent
on some prolonged serenity for a peaceful sleep. Even the most temperate
and cautious among us will indulge in a passionate art form or apply
ourselves to solving a vexing problem. It's no surprise that we are all
part-time dynamists or stasists, in nearly every respect. We are all
Geminis.

Postrel documents a broad assortment of dynamic social and political
heroes. And she's always correct. Fostering an environment that allows
playful novelties and astounding innovations is a good thing. Many
people do marvelous things in wondrous ways. But Postrel begs off any
ethical criteria or political guidelines for creating such an
environment. In a stiff journalistic commentary, she skips thorough a
continuous string of authorities and copious references that get in the
way of her clear convictions about justice, liberty and rights, which
are always evident in her writing and editing of Reason magazine. Her
book itemizes a range of opinions about dynamic rules and guidelines,
but lacks the vitality of a central ethical premise. At times, she
almost proposes that the means justify the ends, that dynamism forces
always lead to favorable outcomes.

The dynamic versus stasist dualism falls far short of being an
inspirational nostrum. Dynamic human conduct can be a boon to our lives,
or a scourge. People can do terrible things with disastrous consequences
in a very dynamic way. Temperance, caution, and skepticism can be
stasist virtues when it comes to the beneficial evolution of the human
condition. Perhaps the other dualisms are equally unsatisfactory. In the
context of our lives, we all push and pull, swing and sway, between
extremes. Since we're all Geminis, both facets make the whole life,
where moderation is the norm, if not the rule.

In spite of the grand premise, there emerges some passion and delightful
exuberance in Chapter Seven, "Fields Of Play". Postrel almost succumbs
to a hearty delight in composing an ovation to whimsy. While explaining
that play - not necessity - is the mother of invention, her dry
commentary approaches exuberance. The creativity, enterprise, and
progress that flows from the joy of simple exploration and learning is
worthy of a book on its own. When it's all said and done, the future
will be decided by the whimsy of our children. Perhaps she can dedicate
it to the Geminis of all ages.

William Westmiller is California Coordinator of the Republican Liberty
Caucus. He was a Candidate for the Republican Nomination for (CA24)
Congress, and is a former National Secretary (and California Chairman)
of the Libertarian Party.

-30-

from The Laissez Faire City Times, Vol. 3, No. 2, Jan. 11, 1999
-----
Disclaimer
The Laissez Faire City Times is a private newspaper. Although it is
published by a corporation domiciled within the sovereign domain of
Laissez Faire City, it is not an "official organ" of the city or its
founding trust. Just as the New York Times is unaffiliated with the city
of New York, the City Times is only one of what may be several news
publications located in, or domiciled at, Laissez Faire City proper. For
information about LFC, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Published by
Laissez Faire City Netcasting Group, Inc.
Copyright 1998 - Trademark Registered with LFC Public Registrar
All Rights Reserved
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.