-Caveat Lector-

Gerald Harp wrote:

>  I see what you mean.  Perhaps, and i may have been one of those, we should
> have used the term "evil."

Same difference... In order to say that ANYTHING is "evil" or "sinful" or even
"wrong," there has to be some basis for the statement... If something is said to
be "wrong," I want to know what the declaration is based on... ie Do you mean its
"against the law,"  or "unconstitutional," or "against our rules," or "not
according to Hoyle," or "because my grandmother said so."  ????  Just because I
don't approve of something, that doesn't make it wrong...

> Incidentally, if you will allow me to return to a previous response, you had
> some doubt that it was a common thing for massah or the overseer to force
> himself on the slave women.  You quoted some stats on mulatto children.  I
> live in an area that resembles a sort of Noah's Ark of mankind and one can
> generally tell the Africans from the African-Americans simply by how much
> blacker the Africans are.  This doesn't prove rape, only the commonplace
> nature of sexual intercourse between massah and his slaves.

Yep... quite easy to determine "about how much" inter-racial fornication is going
on... but no evidence as to what was given in exchange ... love, trust, money,
companionship, lack of fear..

> Further insight is gained by considering the relationship between supervisor and
> worker in the sweatshops of Southeast Asia which are mostly staffed by young
> women/girls

You don't learn a thing from that... It would be like saying, "I know what goes on
in the offices of Barnes and Noble, because I have seen movies of Nazi
concentration camps."  You'd have to know something of the restrictions observed
by the influence of the society, the church, the family, the community... There
are lots of "influences" that have an impact on how people behave.  As a
management consultant I have clients who are jerks, and I wouldn't advise anyone
to work for them... others are saps, and let their employees take undue advantage
of them... Your example is too broad to be useful...

Hawk