-Caveat Lector-

YnrChyldzWyld wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Jim Norman wrote:
> >I was raised in the old South in Claxton, Georgia 1941-1949 and I can
> >tell you from personal experience that the old South I experienced
> >respected everyone.  There was no racial tension as today.  Black people
> >wanted to be with their kind and whites wanted the same.
>
> Bull.  That's what you WANT to believe, to justify your racism.
> --Nope, its the truth.  No racism on my part.  I did't talk with black people
> for a few minutes, I lived it every day after day.  You have no reason to call
> me a racist.  You read my little history which I have absolutly no reason to lie
> about, reporting to you how it was in my neck of the woods and because that
> does'nt agree with your preconceived beliefs, you resort to calling me names?
> Do you honestly believe that every body who lives in the South is a racist?
> Try talking to the BLACKS who lived in the South at that time (as I
> have), and see if they were oh so content as you would like to believe...

--I don't think any of us was content.  We all worked from sun to sun just to
plant and work the crops.

> I have a black friend who grew up down south, having to watch the local
> KKK'rs walk by her house -- in full regalia -- going to and from their
> meetings...and being made to smile and wave to them...I can tell you, SHE
> and her family were NOT content, but knew what they had to do to keep
> from being lynched and their house burned down...

--I have heard stories like this but I have never had personal knowledge of such.
I never saw a person in a KKK uniform.  I've seen many on tv and Jerry Springer,
but that kind of trash did not exist where I was raised.

> There's a reason they moved up North...because the South didn't provide
> them the opportunities in employment the North did, because of their
> race...

--and the north treated them with respect?  The South had farms  The North had
Manufacturing.  It may help to remember that the North, after winning the Civil
war did not free their slaves as they forced the South to.  And Lincoln had no
intentions of freeing the slaves until he needed an issue to keep France and Spain
out of the war.  You remember that part don't you?

> >We worked
> >together Black and White to plant and clear the crops since most of the
> >able bodied men were still at war.

-- When I say We, I mean kids, old men & Women and the wounded who had returned
from the war.  I was between 2 and 9 while I was there and I worked as a man
would.  I chopped cotton, planted tobacco, picked peas, chopped cane, planted rice
and any thing else that needed done.  I kinda resent not having a childhood and
having to work like that but its too late to worry about that now.

> I'm sure blacks were given equal opportunity to plant & clear fields --
> for someone else.  How many blacks OWNED this property they worked on...?

--every farm we worked was owned by a black or white family.  the mix was more
white than black but so was the population.  The Black church was only slightly
smaller than the White church.  Each church had an adjacent grave yard, but the
Black grave yard was larger than the White one.  In retrospect, it seems that the
Blacks were there longer than Whites were.  The "road" we lived on was a long
winding clay road with farms and houses on both sides of the road.  In the early
forty's the community determined that for a orderly method of planting and
harvesting to occur with the least amount of moving equipment would be to start on
one end of the road and work to the other.  With the war on they tried to conserve
the use of fuel.  By planting the crops in this manner, they harvested the same
way since the crops would come in by the stages they were planted.  It mattered
not whether the farm was owned by Blacks or Whites.  When it came up in the
rotation, it was done. Some of the poor farmers (Black and White) had tractors and
equipment that needed repair.  Made no difference.  Whose ever tractor worked, is
whose we used.

> How many blacks were allowed to take over important office and factory
> jobs, supervisory and managerial positions, when the 'able bodied men'
> (black men WEREN'T 'able bodied'?) were away at war?

> -- This question I can't respond to since;

> 1. I don't know why you say black men were not able bodied; The only man I knew
> who was not able bodied was the man who taught me to shoot a rifle.  He lost
> both his legs above the knee in the war.  He could shoot a hog between the eyes
> on a run, and hardly ever missed.  I called him Mr. Baby, as was his want.  He
> took me hunting ever day. He was my friend.

> 2.  None of the folks (including whites) who lived in Claxton were capable of
> supervising or managing a factory;and

> 3. we had nothing but farming.  Anybody on that road could manage a farm,
> however.  Every farm had senior person.  This person was usually the older or
> more experienced farmer, and most times the head of the house.  He would also be
> the keeper of the bible where important events were recorded.  Every white or
> black farm was owned by the respective family, but in those days property was
> passed down.  The name they used was "aire property".  If a man (black or white)
> owned property he did not sell it unless it was very unusual.  It was saved to
> be passed down to the aire's.  The porch meetings at the General store was how
> farming decisions were made for the community.

>  CTRL is a discussion and informational exchange list.  As such an informational
> exchange should not include name calling.  If we could stick to the issues and
> leave the character assasination out, it would facilate information exchange.

Sincerely
Jim Norman