-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/14/99 2:03:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<   ``While I hope Iraq will be in more accordance with the world, I
 >  alsohope that
 >  the United States will produce peaceful solutions,'' he said.
 >  Washington and London did not use the planes from Incirlik
 >  duringairstrikes
 >  last month. They avoided asking Turkey permission because they knew
 >  theywould
 >  be turned down, analysts say. >>

Turkey is in bad trouble with the new US attitude here.  They want to
strengthen the Kurdish factions which are right on Turkey's border.  Since the
Kurds want the land that is Eastern Turkey, they may well use their new
strength to attack that area.  Turkey already has intense problems with the
Kurds who live in East Turkey and who want to declare that part of Turkey as
their own Kurdistan.  Of course there are other Kurds who want their Kurdistan
to take part of the Soviet Union and part of Jordan and part of Iran and part
of Iraq.  So the Turks are very nervous.  They don't want to aid the US in
letting the Kurds take their part of Kurdistan out of Turkey.  When I was
living in Diyarbakir, Turkey, the Kurds could play their music, speak their
language and dance their dances.  That still did not stop their desire for a
sovereign nation of their own.   I don't think there ever was a Kurdistan
historically, but philosphically there certainly is.  Prudy