-Caveat Lector-

>HEMORRHAGIC DISEASE, DOGS - USA (FLORIDA)
While this is about dogs and comes from another list, I thought it was significant.
I've just been reading all the contrail postings.....

sno0wl

Here is a government statement on the outbreak.  Everyone be
careful on
the
Fla circuit and at Westminister.  Please pass this along.  This is how
the
Parvo outbreak started in Ca back in the 70's and spread across the
country.
Please post to your lists.

>HEMORRHAGIC DISEASE, DOGS - USA (FLORIDA)
>A ProMED-mail post
><http://www.healthnet.org/programs/promed.html>
><http://www.fas.org/promed/ahead>
>
>Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 18:39:50 -0500
>From: "George A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>jlentino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, &
>Peter Cyrog, DVM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Source: News agency [edited]
>

>Florida -- Derby Lane, the world's oldest continuously operating
dog
>track, was closed Friday after six greyhounds have died from a
mystery
>illness and other dogs were ill with a pneumonia-like illness. More
>than 100 other dogs, mostly 2- and 3-year-olds, are suffering from
>this highly contagious cough. The dogs are coughing up blood and
the
>pathologist involved is uncertain as to the cause, labeling it a
>mystery.
>
>Dr. William Castleman, the University of Florida pathologist who
>performed an autopsy on one of the dogs, Gaffer, from the St.
>Petersburg race track. "Is it something new?'' Castleman asked. "Is
>it a common infection that's just taken a new turn? We don't know.
>But the fact [that] this dog became very ill and started bleeding and
>died has us thinking there has to be something else going on
here.''
>Castleman said it will probably take two weeks before scientists
can
>isolate the pneumonia-like virus.
>
>Trainers reported that dogs suffering the mystery illness were
>bleeding through the nose and the mouth, discharging bloody
stools.
>Some had blood vessels in their skin burst. "Whatever type of
>infection this is, it breaks down the clotting mechanisms in the
dog.''

>The track imposed a quarantine on its greyhounds and set up an
>around-the-clock infirmary to combat the illness, which officials
say
>poses no threat to humans. A necropsy confirmed that one of the
dogs
>died of a viral respiratory disease and had internal bleeding, said
>Sarah Casey, spokeswoman for the University of Florida College
of
>Veterinary Medicine. [With veterinarians involved, it may not be
>_Bordetella_ spp, the common "kennel cough" - Mod.TG]
>
>The dogs at Hollywood Greyhound Track [Florida] have been put
under
>quarantine after several greyhounds came down with a virus
different
>than the one in St. Petersburg, Garry Duell, assistant racing
>secretary at the track, said Sunday. "It's not the same virus," he
>insisted. "It's the normal kennel cough that they get this time of
>year.'' Several dogs were scratched from the race card Saturday
but
>none were taken off Sunday, Duell said.
>
>Dog tracks in Daytona Beach, Jacksonville, Miami, Naples and
Orlando
>also have quarantined their dogs as a precaution. Races will
probably
>be scratched at Derby Lane at least through Wednesday, track
general
>manager Vey Weaver said. Derby Lane is one of  the largest
taxpaying
>pari-mutuels in the state. About 1100 dogs were scheduled to race
>there this year. Because of the virus scare, Greyhound Protection
>League, a San Francisco-based anti-racing group, has urged
owners to