-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 2/14/99 4:28:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< a "correcter" position would be china's hand in the tibetan genocide
 issue. from which perspective, china damned well does not need any help,
 weaponswise; an act comparable to the u.s. supplying the gas to the
 deathcamps of germany (not to imply that the u.s. did any such thing, but
 who knows?). you may be certain also that they figured that if they did
 not sell to china, that the russians or israelis would. good biz, right.

 i appreciate your sentiment but your outrage may be channelled to some
 other issues as well. while i appreciate its value as a common high-level
 betrayal of office, it will more than likely become another assault
 against the tibetans.

 not liking it any more than you, but for other reasons as well.

 otherwise

 chris

Good points.  I am not as outraged over this issue as may be apparent from my
posts on the line, I just can get worked up from time to time!  China is
sinister and evil (as a nation, not speaking about people here) all they do is
contrary to basic human rights etc.  That is why I don't like any dealings
with them, MFN, sale of technology, etc.  I'd rather have them at a safe
distance, but then they are in the mesh of international entanglements and
cannot be divorced from it, so is the issue one of keeping your enemies closer
than your friends in order to keep an eye on them?  I don't know.  I just
don't like it.  As for the idea of my support of the paradigm of us and them,
let me say this.  I am for mankind first and for promoting their freedom to
live and do as they please without any unnecessary hampering from dictatorial
regimes, or other entities.  If I can't help all the people then I'll choose
to help those closer to me simply for convenience sake, and because
practically I can do nothing substantial for the oppressed Chinese.  I guess
that is a kind of "us and them" mentality.
There are other greater issues at work here to be sure.  Why don't you give us
a glimpse behind your mind and tell us some things that we should be looking
at in this vein?
Teo1000 (the only one) <G>