-Caveat Lector-

THE TORCH HAS BEEN PASSED
=========================

(CNNS, 02/20/99) -- In John  F. Kennedy's inauguration speech, he
said that "the torch has been passed to a new generation."

As  the  1960s  progressed,  many  youth   became   (momentarily)
radicalized  due to the military draft.  Where are the ex-hippies
now?  Simple:  when they didn't have the draft hanging over their
heads, they became de-radicalized and turned into yuppies.

(What is the  one  thing  today which "radicalizes" (momentarily)
the people, and gets  them  to  write  their  congress  critters?
Answer:  their cable TV service.)

Things looked bad to our elders during the late 1960s  and  early
1970s.   Their  worries then must have been like the concerns now
in the minds of  middle-aged  and  older  Americans.  So what did
they do then?   Answer:   they  passed  the  torch  to  the  next
generation.   On  the  one  hand,  they  began  gushing about how
wonderfully idealistic the youth of that time were.  On the other
hand, they began saying,  "These  idealistic  youth of today:  we
leave it to them. Their idealism will solve the problems."

That seems to be the way out now:  start talking about  how  much
better  Generations  X and Y are than us, then leave the problems
to them.  "These great  youth  of  today:   we  leave it to them.
Their youthful energy will solve the problem."

One caution before passing the torch.  In  the  late  1960s  this
editor  began  encountering  contemporaries  who  said they would
"work through the system in order to effect change."

  ME: "Why aren't you dropping out?"

  THEM:  "I'm working =through= the system in order to effect
  change."

Those  people  turned  out  to have been liars.  Just something I
pass on, as I now pass the torch to the wonderful young people of
today,  whose  energy  and  enthusiasm  will  solve  the  immense
problems, unlike their elders who have miserably failed.

--
CNNS  (Conspiracy  Nation  News  Service)  is an INDEPENDENT news
outlet, not owned by anyone.  (But  of course, we would say that,