Clinton's misbehavior has now resulted in demonizing an entire generation
?
     While Republicans have finally succeeded in finding (or creating, via the
media) a COUNTER-icon emotionally charged  --polarizing-- enough to divert
attention, by sleight of hand, from the image of Richard Nixon, hanging like
an albatross around their neck for so long, limiting their capacity to
hoodwink the public with Far Right magic  ...

Some Say America in Cultural War

By CALVIN WOODWARD
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- There's a ``war'' going on in this country, but most people
may not notice. It's about whether absolute right and wrong exist and whether
Americans can even tell the difference.

In the midst of prosperity, some thinkers see a decline in things money cannot
buy -- values, morals and old truths.

Commentator Pat Buchanan pledged at the onset of his third presidential
campaign to ``clean up all that pollutes our culture.'' Another prominent
activist from the right, Paul Weyrich, has gone as far as suggesting
conservatives separate themselves from U.S. culture -- ``an ever wider
sewer,'' he called it -- because the ``enemy'' has won.

A president who lied and still leads is held out as an example of cultural
decline. So are magazine covers peddling sexual gratification and raunchy TV.
Even the move toward turning George Washington's birthday into a generic
Presidents Day is cited as a sign of how this country has fallen.

``I wonder if, after this culture war is over that we are engaged in, an
America will survive that will be worth fighting to defend,'' Rep. Henry Hyde
of Illinois, the leading House impeachment prosecutor, told the Senate in his
effort to unseat President Clinton.

The culture war is an apocalyptic struggle ranging across the landscape of
national life, yet hardly visible to so many. It takes multiple forms: the
constitutional impeachment drama, Hollywood fare, billboard advertising, the
teaching of history, behavior on college campuses, Internet content and more.

The question about absolute truth vs. relativism has engaged philosophers
since the earliest time: Is truth eternal and unchanging or is it relative,
depending on circumstance, time and place?

To the cultural warriors, America is ``slouching towards Gomorrah,'' the
biblical city destroyed for the sinfulness of its people. Yet the disquiet is
difficult for many to fathom. Most social indicators either are good or
improving.

``There is a cultural war among the elite,'' says Boston College sociologist
Alan Wolfe, author of ``One Nation After All.'' ``But it doesn't go much
farther than that.''

Even some of the book titles at the center of the conflict recognize that
people are not really with it: William Bennett's anti-Clinton ``The Death of
Outrage'' and Robert Bork's ``Slouching Towards Gomorrah.''

James Hunter, who popularized the phrase in scholarly circles with his 1980s
book ``Culture Wars: The Struggle to Define America,'' agrees the fight
mobilizes no more than 10 percent of the population.

But he says that does not diminish its intensity or importance. Elites, after
all, shape what is taught to children, shown on TV, turned into law and
resolved in courts.

``Certainly the majority of Americans live their lives fairly removed from
these kinds of tensions,'' he says. ``That doesn't mean there's not a culture
war.''

The culture war is often traced to the 1960s, the decade of protest, free
love, beads and bad pants. Some slogans from that time still hold meaning
today, among them ``Do Your Own Thing.''

``Americans are pretty tolerant,'' says Todd Gitlin, once at the vanguard of
the counterculture as president of Students for a Democratic Society. ``They
have their judgments. They just don't think people should enforce their
judgments.''

Gitlin, who wrote ``The Twilight of Common Dreams: Why America Is Wracked by
Culture Wars,'' concedes the 1960s eroded traditional authority and brought on
the ``rambunctious relativists'' -- perhaps the sort of people who later would
judge that Clinton should stay in office.

That is how GOP Rep. Tom Delay of Texas, the majority whip, saw the
impeachment struggle. He told the House it was ``a debate about relativism vs.
absolute truth.''

Some public opinion research indicates Americans, while more religious than
many cultures and hardly freewheeling about sex, are moving toward consensus
on many social issues. No seething cultural conflict is apparent.

Wolfe ticks off areas where he is finding common ground among most Americans.

``Working women,'' he offers. ``That used to be a big fight. Race -- we used
to have overt and explicit racism. No one questions the principle any more of
racial equality. God -- we used to have furious battles between Catholics and
Protestants.''

An August 1998 poll by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation
found strong majorities supporting both ``traditional family values'' and the
idea that people should be tolerant of those who live by moral standards that
they consider wrong.

But for some warriors there remains too much moral equivocation, too much
garbage on the tube, too far a drift from the verities.

Weyrich, president of the Free Congress Foundation, declared that his side has
``probably lost the culture war.''

He is suggesting conservatives consider such steps as home schooling and
getting rid of TV, saying ``we have to look at what we can do to separate
ourselves from this hostile culture.''

Hunter believes that what is driving the cultural war is a distinctively
American, ``almost irrational, concern for perfection.''

``There are ways in which we as Americans at the end of the 20th century are
just as much Puritans as our Puritan forebears,'' he said. ``There is this
impulse to build a city on a hill and for that to be a bright and shining
light, and we won't accept anything short of it.''

He says the advocates hold firm to their positions; some argue abortion is
murder, while others, on the opposite side, believe in homosexual marriage.

Stay tuned, he suggests.

``Any conflict that is institutionalized in a number of very prominent, well-
funded organizations and whose historical and cultural roots go back as far as
I think they go back, is not going to go away any time soon,'' he says.

So much for making love, not war.