-Caveat Lector-

Americans Must Be Crazy
by Joseph Farah
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/

No matter how you slice it, the critical judgment of Americans is severely
impaired.

I have been watching the polls like everyone else since the start of the
U.S. NATO aggression against Serbia and scratching my head wondering how it
is possible that so many Americans support an illegal, immoral,
incomprehensible, nonsensical war. Like many others, I assumed the polls
must be rigged by the war-crazed establishment press that conducts them.

So I decided last week we would conduct our own unbiased public opinion
survey, with the help of the respected pollster John Zogby. The results
were not encouraging for anyone hopeful Americans can hold on to the ideals
that made their country free and independent.

It seems Americans now believe they have a right -- perhaps even a duty --
to impose their will on a sovereign nation, even when the civil conflict
has no direct bearing on the vital interests of our nation. Americans
believe the president has the power to direct such military action
unilaterally, without the approval of Congress and the assent of the
people. Americans, by a slim majority, even believe President Clinton,
despite all his many moral and ethical shortcomings, and his failure to
serve the military when called, is capable of directing such action.

Watching the effects of 30 years of the deliberate dumbing-down of a people
is not a pretty sight. Americans are now certifiably insane. They are
crazy. They are suffering a mass psychosis. They have lost their own
ability to discern right from wrong.

According to the WorldNetDaily/Zogby survey conducted last week, Americans
conclude Bill Clinton possesses the moral authority and character to lead
the United States and its military through a protracted engagement in the
Balkans. True, it's hardly a mandate to wage war, with the majority
representing only 50.2 percent. But it's still shocking to me. I don't meet
people on a daily basis who believe that. I hear from them by e-mail. I see
them on talking-head shows. But I don't meet real Americans who believe
that -- so I assumed they represented a small minority of the population.

It turns out the polls conducted by CNN, Washington Post, ABC, Time, and
the rest are not out of line. Americans can no longer think for themselves.
Their minds have been co-opted by government propaganda. This is an
extremely dangerous development for the well-being of our nation.

In analyzing the results of the key question, Zogby said, "It still wasn't
a substantial vote of confidence. I mean, the country is almost evenly
split on whether or not he has the moral authority, and that suggests a
president whose wings have been fairly clipped."

Not clipped enough, Mr. Zogby. Not nearly enough.

The poll also found that 53.9 percent of those polled believe that the
bombing of civilian infrastructure targets in Yugoslavia, such as water and
power supplies, is justified. It should be pointed out that Zogby added
some, in my opinion, "loaded words" to the question as originally phrased
by WorldNetDaily. He asked if such bombing was justified to "save lives."
Nevertheless, given the response to the first question, I don't think the
results would be dramatically different without that phrase.

Democrats and Republicans alike agreed with the idea that the bombings are
justified -- even after seeing the effects of the bombings and the
resultant increase in civilian deaths.

Zogby says the numbers are understandable in light of what most Americans
have been seeing through media coverage of the war.

"What they were seeing was Americans being taken hostage, tens of thousands
of people being dislocated somewhere between 'no-man's land' and Macedonia,
and a defiant Milosevic," Zogby said. "Within this context, I think that
it's fairly easy to see why a majority would say, 'Go for it.'"

I was more hopeful that Americans were smarter than that.

Finally, only 23.9 percent of those surveyed believe Clinton ordered the
bombing attacks as a distraction from the growing Chinagate scandal.
Another 64 percent did not believe that was a factor.

Other surveys show this slim majority breaking down should Americans begin
suffering serious casualties in the Balkans war. In other words, they
approve of a war in which we inflict death and destruction on others, but
will not accept any sacrifice themselves. If that is not a surreal and
arrogant expectation of war, I don't know what is.

Have you ever watched a nation go mad before? I guess America has the
leadership it deserves.

© 1999 Western Journalism Center
"...There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our
overthrow. Our destruction, should it ever come at all, will be from
another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of
their government, from their carelessness and negligence."
- Daniel Webster
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     The Patriot Resource Center:
                                 http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6627/