-Caveat Lector-
>3) Santa Claus only sounds like Satan's claws in English. Santa Claus
>however does sound like "St. nickolas" if you say it fast and run it
>together.

"Santa" only sounds like "Satan" to audio-dyslexics; the brain-dead fundies who persist in equating "Santa" with "Satan" forget that the term "Santa" is Latin for "saint", and if the term "Santa" equates to "Satan", then there is a whole plethora of cities in the southwestern US (including California) that must be causing them to have apopletic fits...

Okay, here's the real scoop on the modern mythical icon known as "Santa Claus"...

There was a Roman Catholic bishop from Asia Minor born in the 4th century BC, named "Nicholas", who was renowned for his good deeds towards the poor; some time after his death the church made him a saint, hence "Saint Nicholas".

This saint's birthday was December 6th, so that became the designated "Saints Day" for that particular saint; check out the history of the Catholic Church, and you will see that almost every day of the year has a designated saint conveniently assigned to it.  Many times these saints had (or were assigned) traits corresponding to an earlier pagan god whose holiday corresponded with that saint's "day", sometimes many prior pagan customs were accumulated into one "saint's day"...

(And contrary to the braindead fundie/thumpers, paganism does NOT equate to satanism...)

In countries where Christianity replaced previous pagan religions, St. Nicholas' day -- December 6th -- was usually celebrated as the beginning of the Christmas season; the actual St. Nicholas never actually did anything to associate himself with Christmas, it was only the fact that his birthday was at the beginning of December that he became associated with the holiday.

After the Reformation most Protestant countries disassociated themselves from Catholic saints, but the beloved figure who delived gifts to good children was transformed into "Father Christmas"; but whether Catholic saint or Protestant icon, St. Nicholas/Father Christmas bore little resemblence to the roly poly elf in red velvet and white fur we currently associate with the name "Santa Claus"...

Take a look at European designations, and indeed American representations up until the early 20th century, and St. Nicholas/Father Christmas/Santa Claus was rarely shown wearing red; rather he either is shown as a stern bishop or a stern paganistic woodsman, or in the late Victorian era as a well-fed benevolent businessman -- again, rarely in red, often rather in white, green, blue, brown...

So what was responsible for the transformation to our modern icon?

We need to go back to that bishop/saint known as Nicholas; when Spain conquered the Netherlands St. Nicholas, being amongst other things the patron saint of sailors, was adopted by the Dutch to be the patron saint of their country.  And so they adopted the saint's day with gusto; according to Dutch tradition, St. Nicholas arrives in Holland from Spain (no North Pole legend here) on the night of December 5th; St. Nicholas is always shown as a Catholic bishop in full regalia, never in a red velvet suit.  St. Nicholas rides about the Dutch countryside that night on a white horse dispensing treats (usually candy and small toys) to good children while his servant (who was originally designated his 'slave) "Black Pete" dispenses coal and twigs to those who have been naughty...

The Dutch never confused the celebrating of St. Nicholas' day with Christmas, other than to use it as the opening of the Christmas season; to this day the Dutch have a month-long season, starting with St. Nicholas' day on Dec. 6th, which is usually seen as a "children's holiday"; Christmas Day itself is celebrated more along the lines of the American Thanksgiving, it is a day to go to church and to have a big meal with family, but rarely are gifts exchanged, but if they are it is done on Christmas Eve, not Christmas Day, and the gifts are usually small; New Year's Day is a day to visit family and friends, and small gifts may be exchanged; finally the season is wrapped up on Epiphany/3 Kings Day on January 6th...since this is supposedly the day the Magi arrived at the stable and presented gifts to the baby Jesus, this is considered a gift-giving day, and the Dutch celebrate it much like we celebrate December 25th...

Okay, we're working our way up to the transformation of St. Nicholas into Santa Claus...

Remember who bought Manhattan from the Indians for $24 worth of beads?  Yes, it was the thrifty and crafty Dutch, who established the colony of "New Amsterdam" at the tip of Manhattan as a trading post, and who continued to immigrate to it and to establish farms in Long Island in the east and the upper Hudson Valley to the north, until England and the Netherlands went to war in the early 1700's, a war that the Netherlands lost, which required them to cede New Amsterdam to the English who promptly renamed it "New York"....

But not only did the Dutch immigrants remain in New York, so did many of their customs (not to mention their accent, which is the basis for the modern "Noo Yahk" accent), especially their Christmas customs.  At the time most English colonists in the northeast didn't even celebrate Christmas, other than perhaps to go to church on December 25th.  To do anything else was considered "papish", e.g. any blatant celebration on December 25th was considered a Catholic custom, which the Puritan colonists considered not only shocking but outright evil...

But most of the Dutch colonists were Catholic, and didn't want to give up their beloved Christmas customs, which they continued to observe.  The result was that by 1800 the Dutch celebration had become anglicized, adopted and adapted by most people living in and around the former Dutch colony (and since most 19th century immigrants to the U.S. came thru New York, people from other cultures were introduced to the "American" Christmas customs for the first time, which they then carried with them when they continued on to establish themselves in other parts of the country).

And what did that mean?  First off, the Dutch name for St. Nicholas, "Sinte Klaas", was anglicized to Santa Claus.  No "Satan" involved, it was just the Dutch adaptation of the Spanish/Latin "Santa" to the Dutch "Sinte", which was then changed by the English colonists back to "Santa"; "Klaas" was just the shortened form -- nickname if you will -- for "Nicklaus", Dutch for "Nicholas"...

The English colonists, wishing to disassociate from the Catholic celebration of saints days, dropped the separate celebration on December 6th of St. Nicholas' day, and rather had him deliver his gifts on Christmas Eve; the Dutch custom of leaving their wooden shoes by the front door, where Sinte Klaas would then leave treats, was modified by the English colonists into stockings hung on the fireplace...

But even tho he was now referred to as "Santa Claus", representations throughout the 19th century rarely bore any resemblence to the modern icon.  It took Clement Moore's "T'Was The Night Before Christmas" to provide the first description in a work that became a national 'best seller', followed by the drawings of Thomas Nast, that transformed Santa Claus from a rather thin and rather stern  (and sometimes downright scary) bishop to a jolly fat elf (not to mention being the first mention of driving a sleigh pulled by reindeer).

But still no red suit.

That took Coca Cola's popular ad campaign, starting in the early 20th century, where the artist transformed Santa from a tiny, albeit fat, elf, into a full-sized businessman (probably with a seat on Coke's executive board of directors), wearing Coke's corporate colors of red and white.

>4) for the origins of the specifics of the Santa Claus myth look into the
>stories of the laplanders, where their shamans would eat red and white
>garbed mushrooms (amanita muscaria) and their visions included things like
>flying reindeer.

While I won't dispute that the mythos of the Winter Solstice god, whose cult included the ingestion of 'sacred mushrooms', was transformed by the Christian church into various Christmas customs, the red and white suit of Santa Claus is purely an American invention of the 20th century as part of Coke's popular ad campaign...prior to that, Santa/St. Nicholas was either shown as a Catholic bishop in full bishop regalia, or was shown as a type of ancient woodsman wearing a long hooded robe (sometimes trimmed with fur, oftentimes not, and if there was fur it could just as likely be brown or black as white) of green, brown, light blue, sometimes white, but never red.

June

.
<A HREF="">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>