-Caveat Lector-

The perpetrators of 9-11 know that air is the key, at least to waging a war that maintains a mandate, i.e. one that involves few American deaths.  Air 'defense' is the key to getting Afghanistan first too, in the war on the world.  Khyber pass provides access to HIGH GROUND.  Launch a cruise missile from the Himalayas and you increase its range.

 William Shannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-Caveat Lector- http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20021230/index.php

Air Defense Is Key

by Charley Reese

I don't know if Iraq has chemical or biological weapons. It is certain that Iraq has no nuclear weapons. If Iraq is smart, it will have gotten rid of its chemical and biological weapons so it can concentrate on getting the sanctions lifted. Then, once Iraq's economy is repaired, it can resume the weapons programs if it wants to.

We have to face the fact that how to make a nuclear weapon is, for all practical purposes, common knowledge these days. The United States did not want India and Pakistan to develop nuclear weapons, but they did, and they did it entirely with local talent. The Israelis also did it, though the United States was too chicken to even protest. Knowledge is very difficult to ban or to banish.

There are a lot of lies floating around in this buildup to war. I have no doubt that the president intends to go to war at the end of January regardless of what the inspectors find or don't find. That's a mistake, but as our elected president, Mr. Bush has two more years in which to make mistakes.

At any rate, one of the dumbest lies floated out of Washington is that Saddam Hussein needs weapons of mass destruction to stay in power. This is put out as a weak argument for the claim that he must have them. In fact, it's a stupid statement. No dictator in human history has ever relied on weapons of mass destruction to stay in power. Saddam controls the Iraqis the old-fashioned way — with a secret police, a network of informers and conventional torture and execution. That works just fine.

The Iraqis used chemical weapons against the Kurds when the Kurds had sided with Iran, which was also using chemical weapons against the Iraqis. There is even some question, according to an Army War College study, whether the Kurds in that well-publicized attack were killed by the Iraqis or the Iranians. Both armies were in the vicinity, and both were using chemical weapons — as, by the way, we, the British and the French used them in World War I. I don't recall anyone calling Woodrow Wilson or Gen. John Pershing a war criminal.

Nevertheless, what Iraq really needs is an air-defense system. In that part of the world, the outcome of the war depends on control of the skies. No tank — not even our Abrams, which is the finest in the world — has any defenses at all against an aircraft. Therefore, to move troops and tanks, you have to control the skies. The technological superiority of the United States and Israel in aircraft and supporting systems is what makes them the 800-pound gorillas in conventional war.

Offensive air capability has far outrun conventional air-defense systems, and you can bet your family car that in Russia, China, India and Pakistan, to name just a few, scientists and engineers are working to achieve a breakthrough in air defenses. If such a breakthrough is ever achieved, then the balance of power will readjust itself, and the outcomes of wars will become more iffy. The history of war science is that as soon as one advantage is achieved, work begins on how to counter it. But until air defense catches up with air offensive systems, the United States will enjoy the dubious privilege of whacking any small country it wishes to whack.

I personally would take great pleasure in that, except that the existence of the power seems to tempt political leaders to use it in ways that in the long run are not in our national interest. Too often it seems we are more bully than protector, more arrogant than wise. We can destroy Iraq, but we cannot avoid the consequences of destroying Iraq. But that decision rests with George Bush, not with us.

<A HREF="">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>