-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mexico's Corrupt Oil Lifeline

January 21, 2003
By TIM WEINER

CADEREYTA, Mexico - Tony Cantu grew up with the giant oil
refinery that Pemex, Mexico's state-owned oil company, runs
here in his hometown. He helped build it and operate it,
rising from construction worker to computer programmer to
chemical engineer.

Mr. Cantu gave Pemex a decade of his working life. But he
will never work there again. He can explain why in one
word.

"Corruption," he said, gazing at the refinery, 20 miles
outside Monterrey in northern Mexico. "People being stepped
on, forced to be corrupt - I hated that. There were a lot
of things you had to shut up about. The bosses would kill
to protect themselves. People were subjugated by fear."

For more than 60 years, Pemex, the world's fifth-largest
oil company, has been Mexico's economic lifeblood. A $50
billion-a-year enterprise, it controls every gas pump in
Mexico, and it sells nearly as much oil to the United
States as Saudi Arabia does.

Today, with some oil producers like Iraq and Venezuela
facing nation-shaking crises, Mexico looks like a sure and
steady source of oil. The United States may be tempted to
rely on it even more.

But Pemex is in danger of breaking down. "Financially, we
are falling," its director, Raúl Muñoz Leos, said in an
interview. Nearly every peso of Pemex's profits goes to run
the government of Mexico. The company, after paying taxes
and royalties, actually lost $3.5 billion in in 2001.
Without major restructuring or tens of billions of dollars
in foreign investment, Mr. Muñoz Leos warned recently, "We
would face, in the short term, a collapse."

One reason is a rottenness at Pemex's core. The company
loses at least $1 billion a year to corruption, its
executives say, in a continuous corrosion of the machine
that keeps Mexico solvent.

Fixing Pemex is as crucial to Mexico's future as it is to
American oil supplies. When Vicente Fox became president
two years ago after defeating the political machine that
ran Mexico for 71 years - the Institutional Revolutionary
Party, or PRI - he vowed to make his country more open and
democratic and to make Pemex run like a 21st-century
corporation.

To change Mexico, Mr. Fox must first change Pemex. It has
been a cash machine for the government, a slush fund for
politicians and a patronage mill for party loyalists since
the party created Petróleos Mexicanos, or Pemex, in 1938.

After nationalizing American and British oil interests, the
party promptly changed the Constitution to bar foreign
investment in underground oil and gas. It was a declaration
of independence: "Expropriation Day" is still celebrated
each year.

Even today, the PRI, which still holds a plurality in
Congress, is fighting changes to the Constitution and at
the oil giant it created, in part on grounds of patriotism.
President Fox's attempts at reform have been hamstrung by
PRI resistance - and Pemex's history of corruption.

Pemex's last director, Rogelio Montemayor, a former PRI
governor, and its union boss, Carlos Romero Deschamps, a
PRI senator, each stand accused of stealing tens of
millions of dollars from Pemex for the PRI's 2000
presidential campaign against Mr. Fox.

Both men deny the charges. Mr. Romero Deschamps is battling
an attempt in Congress to strip him of the legal immunity
he enjoys as a sitting senator. Mr. Montemayor fled Mexico
last year and is fighting extradition from Houston. The
PRI, struggling to defend them - and itself, is also
resisting every effort to transform Pemex.

"The political will needed to reform Pemex has just not
coalesced," said Eduardo Cepeda, the head of J. P. Morgan
Chase's Mexico office.

Edward L. Morse, executive adviser at Hess Energy Trading
Co. and former publisher of Petroleum Intelligence Weekly,
said by telephone from New York that "the effort to reform
the beast" had failed. President Fox, he said, does not
"understand how thoroughly ingrained in the national
political culture the monopoly of Pemex is."

Pemex remains one of the world's few national oil companies
with no competition from within or without. Its resulting
inefficiencies are stark.

Othón Canales Treviño is Pemex's director for
competitiveness and innovation - the man in charge of
creating the "new" Pemex. He once ran a company that
supplied Pemex with chemicals, and he was often solicited
for bribes, he said. Today he sits on a commission on
corruption at Pemex, composed of 14 directors.

"There is corruption," he said. "But I think the
inefficiency is worse. There is brutal inefficiency."

For example, Mr. Canales said, he recently asked how much
Pemex paid each year for goods and services - everything
for ice packs to helicopters rented to fly engineers to
offshore rigs.

No one knew. It took four months to come up with the answer
- $7 billion.

"We want to act like a company," he said. "Pemex isn't a
company. It isn't Pemex Inc. We're not a government
ministry either. We are - something weird. Our behavior
changes depending on whom we are dealing with. To the
Finance Ministry, we're their biggest taxpayer. To
Congress, we're something else. To our customers, sometimes
we're an opportunity and sometimes we're a threat."

Pemex had sales of $46.5 billion in 2001 and paid $28.8
billion in taxes - almost 40 percent of all government
revenues. With the government taking such a large share of
revenue, not enough is left to pay for exploring new
sources of oil, repairing aging refineries or tapping vast
pockets of natural gas.

If Mr. Fox could free the government of its addiction to
Pemex's money - by collecting taxes from millions of people
who evade them, for example - then Pemex could invest in
producing more oil and gas, and in time generate more
revenue.

But today, with foreign investment banned, and corruption
and inefficiency sapping its cash flow, Pemex's ability to
produce energy is bound to decrease, Pemex executives and
industry experts say.

Pemex is in "a very complex fix," said Mr. Muñoz Leos, the
director and a former chief of DuPont's Mexican operations.

But unless President Fox finds a way to clean up Pemex's
operations and, above all, change the Constitution to
permit foreign investment - a path the PRI has blocked -
the company's production will start to plunge.

Mexico's ability to produce oil will peak by 2010,
according to Pemex officials and the International Energy
Agency, a coalition of 24 oil-producing nations. Then it
will decline, they forecast.

By 2030, perhaps sooner, Mexico will have to import oil. It
will not be able to sell a single barrel to the United
States.

"If we're going to export oil in the future, we need more
investment now," said José Herlindo Álvarez, a chemical
engineer for 26 years at Pemex's Tula refinery, 60 miles
north of Mexico City.

Pemex has six oil refineries working nearly at capacity in
Mexico. But they cannot now meet the nation's needs.
Mexico, sitting on huge pools of untapped oil, has to
import nearly a quarter of its gasoline from the United
States.

It has not built a new refinery since the late 1970's. One
reason, said several oil industry analysts, is that to
authorize a billion-dollar project at Pemex is to invite
grand theft.

That corruption is something Tony Cantu said he had
witnessed first hand - what he described as organized
crime, systematic shakedowns and needless deaths due to
mismanagement. He wept briefly as he talked, during a
return visit to the Cadereyta refinery in December.

"It's sickening to see how something that could be so
beautiful is such a mess," he said. "To advance at Pemex,
it didn't matter how good you were, your knowledge or
intentions, but whether you participated in the
good-old-boys' system."

Pemex's chief back then, Jorge Díaz Serrano, later served
five years in prison for embezzling $34 million. Its
longtime union boss, Joaquin Hernández Galicia, was
released from prison in 1999 after serving seven years for
amassing enough weapons to run a private army. Ten years
before, Carlos Salinas, then president of Mexico, had sent
government troops to arrest him in a political
confrontation over the union's power - which remains vast
today.

Even now, Pemex loses more than $1 billion a year to fraud,
theft, tax-evasion schemes and clandestine fuel sales by
its workers and distributors, according to two senior Pemex
directors.

The plunder includes thousands of gallons of jet fuel sold
under the table to drug dealers for flights of cocaine into
the United States. Those thefts, which create small
fortunes for Pemex managers and union officials, continue
apace despite a crackdown.

So do no-show jobs, a staple of Pemex operations for
decades. "People who didn't work at the refinery still came
in to pick up their money every two weeks," Mr. Cantu said.
"You had to give a cut to the union boss - 30 percent. I
saw this with my own eyes."

Though the union does not acknowledge it, no-show jobs
still exist, according to Pemex officials, and those who
hold them are known as "aviators" or "parachute artists."
Pemex's work force has grown to 139,000, compared with
121,000 in 1996. More than 90,000 are union members.

Mr. Cantu said he had seen six untrained workers die
building the Cadereyta refinery. They were sons and
brothers of union workers, hired despite having no
experience.

Pemex's safety record down the years has been grim. Two
major explosions, in 1984 and 1992, killed at least 800
people in residential neighborhoods in Mexico City and
Guadalajara. Industrial accidents have killed hundreds
more.

After nine years of working for Pemex, and after earning
his degree as a chemical engineer, Mr. Cantu had had
enough. He moved to Houston and started his own company and
a new life.

But in 2000, he agreed to return to work at Pemex on two
projects, one to upgrade Cadereyta's emergency-control
room, another for natural gas processing plants in
Villahermosa.

He said the Pemex engineer in charge of the Villahermosa
project had "a private bank account" that he expected
outside contractors to fill. On the Cadereyta project, he
said, Pemex engineers never showed up to approve his work.

Mr. Muñoz Leos said a recent $1.3 billion remodeling at
the Cadereyta refinery was botched, and efforts to fix it
were costing Pemex $15 million a month.

"I thought things might have changed" after Mr. Fox's
election in 2000, Mr. Cantu said. "But Pemex hasn't
changed. You cannot change so deeply embedded a mentality
in a few years."

One of the strongest forces for change may be dissident
union workers, who see their task as no less than rescuing
the union from its own leaders.

"People inside the union hate this situation - the
embezzlement of millions, not only from the oil revenues,
but from the union itself," said Óscar Edgar Hernández
García, president of the group, the Oil Workers' Coalition.
"We know what's going on, but we can only fight from
within," he said. "We have to end the cushy no-show jobs,
to end the coziness with the PRI, to protect our workers
from harm, and to improve Pemex's productivity."

The struggle to change Pemex from the top, by managers like
Mr. Canales, and from within the union, by workers like Mr.
Hernández García, may save the oil giant from the slow
decline that many foresee.

But Mr. Cantu predicts an end to the power and pride of
Pemex only on the day when the machine collapses.

"Then they would be forced to let Shell, Conoco and Exxon
come in," he said. "But who would want to come in now? If
Shell had a billion to invest, would they invest it in a
system that is rotten to the bone?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/21/international/americas/21PEME.html?ex=1044141440&ei=1&en=7dfddc4db57f17b8

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company