-Caveat Lector-

From: "Hilary A. Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Evidently our military believes our middle schools harbor dangerous
terrorists.

Hilary

http://www.infowars.com/pensacola.html
-
MARINES TAKE OVER SCHOOL
By Jenny LaCoste

News Journal staff writer

The sleepy atmosphere that precedes first period was broken at Hobbs
Middle School on Thursday morning by the sound of Marines, Navy and
Coast Guard pilots marching through the school's halls.

While sixth-graders in Lynnette Whitfield's geography class were
watching CNN reports on NATO airstrikes against Yugoslavia, they heard a
voice bark over the intercom: "Military personnel, take your
classrooms."

The mock "takeover" of Hobbs Middle School by pilots and flight students
from Whiting Field was a way to illustrate what martial law is all
about, said Lt. Troy Beshears, a Coast Guard pilot assigned to Whiting
Field Naval Air Station.

But once the sailors and Marines were in the classrooms, their mission
was to teach for a day subjects such as math, science, history, and
geography and give teachers a break.

"We're going for shock value initially," said Navy Lt. Dan Deutermann,
29.  "but in the classrooms we're showing the students practical
applications of what they're learning."

Some students brought up questions about the Kosovo situation.

Seventh-grader Cory Keelan selected Yugoslavia when a Navy ensign
teaching geography asked students to name their favorite European
country.

"I just like the name of it.  It sounds cool," said Cory, 13.  "I've
been hearing it a lot lately."

Whitfield said her class knows more about Yugoslavia than just the
name.  Her students have been learning geography of the area, the
history of the ethnic groups involved in the fighting that has killed
more than 2,000 people in the Yugoslav province of Kosovo and keeping
tabs on the current NATO air assault on Yugoslavia.

"Some of my students still don't really have a grasp on the situation,
but others do because they talk about it with their parents," she said.

One of Whitfield's students, Julie McCool, said the presence of the
military personel in her school made the news she had been watching from
Yugoslavia seem a little more real.

"I just don't want it to get much worse," said Julie, 12.

Navy Ensign Kelly Robbins taught a class on geography, charting a
Pacific cruise he took on an aircraft carrier and talking about his
ports of call.

While an enlisted sailor working in intelligence, Robbins said he had to
brief admirals, senators and Secratary of State Madeleine Albright, but
middle schoolers made him nervous.

"At least with them, I knew what questions to anticipate," said Robbins,
27.  "With kids, you're not sure what they might ask."

Besides giving students insight into places like Taiwan, Thailand and
Singapore, Robbins gave the kids an idea of what it's like to be in the
military.

He spent his first Christmas as a sailor in Hong Kong.

"You don't get to come home for Christmas?'  Cory Keelan asked Robbins.

"No' not when you're on a ship," Robbins said.

"Did you get Christmas dinner?" Corey, 13, pressed.

Besides geography, flight students taught physiology, explaining how
night goggles work with the human eye, aerodynamics and geometry.

"Kids don't realize that there are freeways in the sky and we have to
use geometry to figure out our couse when we fly," said Beshears.
"We're just showing them that the skills they're learning now are
applicable in life."

The visit is part of the Whiting Field Adopt-A-School program
coordinated by Beshears.  Every instructor and flight student
paricipating volunteered to take part.

Last year, students from Hobbs and another school communicated via
e-mail with a Coast Guard lieutenant on a cruise bound for the South
Pole and had a video teleconference with their frind once she got there.

--

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Share the wealth!
http://www.ONElist.com
Tell a friend about ONElist's 115,000 free e-mail communities!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

List Moderator:  Hilary Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]