-Caveat Lector-

http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer37.html

The War Against Anger
by Butler Shaffer
March 3, 2003

I am weary of people evading the responsibility for wars, by dismissing
organized butchery as expressions of "human nature." Man’s inhumanity to
man, this argument runs, is simply the way we are, and therefore, we ought
not rail against it. Such thinking saves one the discomfort of
self-examination and self-criticism. If violence and slaughter are
manifestations of inborn character – as intrinsic to us as the pursuit of
self-interest – then our participation in such acts should not be
condemned. It is just "who we are"; and it is unrealistic of us to think
we can change our genetic makeup.

But if this is true, are not acts of murder, rape, arson, mayhem, and
assault also the fulfillment of our violent nature? If we are not critical
of nation-states for mobilizing destructive tendencies, why should we
punish individuals who engage in similarly motivated actions? Indeed, why
do we heap the severest of punishments on those who do, individually, what
we so blithely accept when done – in greater numbers – by political
systems?

The answer to this question is found in the psychological practice of
projection, a phenomenon about which I have written on numerous occasions.
We are uncomfortable with the awareness – albeit subconscious – that "who
we are" includes various dark side attributes inconsistent with the
virtuous qualities around which we have built our self-image. Were we
courageous enough to look deeply within, we would discover that we do have
capacities for violence, dishonesty, anger, sloth, cowardice, and other
characteristics that conflict with the image of goodness we have created
for ourselves.

We unconsciously believe that the way to purge ourselves of these
undesired qualities is to project them onto scapegoats, against whom we
proceed to take punitive action. Those who desire to understand 9/11 and
its aftermath must begin with an awareness of the psychological dynamics
of projection. Contrary to the self-righteous posturing that comprises
political rhetoric, there are no objectively "good" and "bad" nations or
other groups of people in our world. We have, however, divided ourselves
into mutually exclusive "us-versus-them" categories – whether based on
race, religion, nationality, economic interests, or other factors –
ascribing "goodness" to our group, and "badness" to others. Such
dichotomous thinking becomes a perfect setup for the projection of our
unwanted "dark side" traits onto one another. Divisiveness is not simply
an unintended consequence of political behavior, but its essential nature.

It should be evident that this contributes to the means by which we bring
about wars. "They" mean us harm, so "we" must take forceful action to
protect our interests. Once we do so, "they" become mobilized against
"us"; a response that confirms, in our mind, their malevolent intentions
and is used as a justification for our renewed efforts.

Let me illustrate the point this way: the United States not only created
nuclear weapons, but is the only nation to have employed them against
civilian populations. As a result, other nations began their own
collections, ostensibly as a deterrent against such weapons being used
upon them. The United States government has the biggest collection of
nuclear weapons in existence, and recently announced that it would not
foreclose the possibility of their use in any future war. If Americans and
Israelis believe that deadly weapons are necessary for their defenses, why
should we be surprised that other nations might regard similar weapons as
essential to theirs? Given the historic record and the Bush
administration’s war against "axis of evil" nations as well as those who
"are not with us," what other response would you expect?

Don’t mistake the point I am making. I am not defending the use of such
weapons: to the contrary, I am desirous of ending such insane behavior.
But to do so, we must begin by giving up our childish schoolyard thinking
that poses "us" as the unvarnished expression of "good," and "them" as the
unmitigated agents of "evil." The divisiveness of our thinking has
produced the political madness that threatens to overwhelm the world in a
kind of warfare that could destroy all of human life. But we must
understand the nature of what our thinking has created. Instead of joining
George Bush’s frenzied mob of war-lovers who, drunk with power, want to
behave like an unruly gang of soccer fans, we need to withdraw our
energies from their madness.

What is the source of the anger that has generated this world-engulfing
conflict? Contrary to the twaddle put forth by neocon jingoists, the
"terrorists" who planned and attacked the World Trade Center, knowing they
would die in the process, did not do so in order to show their contempt
for MTV, Calvin Klein jeans, burqualess women, and other attributes of our
"freedom." They did so out of anger over years of arrogant American and
Israeli policies that have dominated their lives and homelands. One brief
study indicated that some 95% of suicide bombings have taken place in an
effort to force these nations to withdraw from occupied territories.
Unable to attack the source of their anger, these "terrorists" settled on
the WTC as their targets, turning some three thousand innocent victims
into "scapegoats" for their unresolved wrath.

All nineteen men who participated in this attack were killed in the
process, a result that has generated an unfocused anger on the part of
most Americans. This was a terrible atrocity, committed against men and
women who had no more to do with the conduct of American foreign policy
than do you or I. Against whom can this reactive rage be vented? Who is to
"pay" for a crime for which all known perpetrators are dead? Dividing
ourselves up into mutually exclusive camps of "us" and "them" tends to
generate an avenging sense of self-righteousness that requires an object
upon whom punishment can be visited. Since the actual transgressors of
these crimes are unavailable, however, a surrogate – a "scapegoat" – must
be found.

Scapegoating has long been used as a means of directing anger at someone
when there is no discernible agent to attribute the cause of such anger.
There was a sharp increase in lynchings during the depression of the
1930s, not because blacks were responsible for the economic crisis, but
because they were convenient targets for unfocused rage. The Los Angeles
riots of 1992 served the same purpose. The dynamics and dangers inherent
in such behavior were well-explored in the now classic film The Ox-Bow
Incident, a western in which a group of innocent strangers were lynched by
a self-righteous posse convinced of their having killed one of their
friends.

The events of 9/11 did far more than bring the daily lives of Americans
onto the battlefields of wars that have dominated this planet for over a
century. Trying to put the WTC attack into perspective, one Englishman
stated that he had lived through the "blitz" of World War II, when London
was subject to such attacks on a nightly basis. But World War II was
fought against traditionally-defined enemies: other nation-states.
Governments declared wars against one another; there were identifiable
political and military officials to whom one could look for decisions and
responsibility for actions taken.

All of that has changed. As 9/11 demonstrated – wherein nineteen men armed
with nothing more than plastic box-cutter knives were able to place the
world on the brink of World War III – war, itself, has become thoroughly
decentralized. In this new age of suicide bombers, suitcase nuclear
weapons, and other forms of guerilla tactics, any angry individual or
group has the technological capacity to inflict death upon tens of
thousands – or even millions – of men and women who have been selected as
scapegoats for unfocused anger. As political systems expand the scope of
their divisive practices, we should expect increased frustration and
anger. With a world population of some five billion people, it would take
only one one-thousandth of one percent of humanity, if sufficiently
provoked, to produce fifty thousand dispersed agents of mass destruction.
We should have learned, from Newton’s third law of motion, that state
terrorism – in the form of threats, punishments, and death itself to
compel obedience – generates reaction from its victims. Labeling such
ignores this symbiotic relationship that continues its destructive
escalation.

The world is rapidly becoming decentralized, not only in terms of
economic, political, and other social systems, but in the dissemination of
information. The very power of the state is rapidly rendering it
powerless, as its tools of control and violence radiate outward into
private hands.

Governments continue to be significant players in these games of death and
destruction, but their monopolies on the use of force – which have
traditionally defined their natures – are evaporating. The United Nations,
NATO, and other statist trade associations are, like cartels generally,
collapsing into ineffectiveness in the face of competition from
centrifugal sources.

The very divisive thinking upon which all political systems depend for
their existence has come full circle to foster a generalized, unfocused
anger in the world that erupts into violent acts of sheer desperation. It
is this anger – the child of politics – that now turns upon the parent.
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein monster has come alive, and the efforts of
comic opera martinets – whether in the White House or Number 10 Downing
Street – will be unable to subdue it. The rigid stance of George Bush
reminds me of nothing so much as General Burgoyne marching his British
redcoats – four-abreast, and in close-order drill – down a country road to
be met by a dispersed and hidden colonial "rabble."

The war into which so many politicians and militarists seem intent on
plunging the world is, of course, yet another expression of the raison
d’etre of the state. But this will not be your eighteenth, nineteenth, or
twentieth century style of war that pits one state against another, for
the "enemy" has become anger itself. "Anger" has no jugular vein that can
be made the target of warfare; no leaders to whom terms of surrender can
be offered. Dropping bombs on Afghans and Iraqis because we have no
visible perpetrators of the 9/11 wrongs we wish to avenge, is as
irrational as the WTC attacks themselves! To believe otherwise is like
trying to end urban street gang violence by bombing Los Angeles or
Detroit!

The only way to end this war against anger is to end the thinking – and
resulting systems and behavior – that generates the anger. Patriotic
flag-waving and appeals to "support our troops" are as irrelevant to the
crisis confronting all of humanity as an insistence upon rules of dining
room etiquette and passenger class priorities on a rapidly sinking
Lusitania!

http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer37.html

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>