-Caveat Lector-

 http://truthout.org/docs_03/031703A.shtml

          Massive Human Slaughter

          By Marc Ash
          Sunday 16 March 2003

          What George W. Bush and Tony Blair are planning is the
     greatest act of human slaughter since Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge
     orchestrated the Cambodian genocide in the mid 1970s.  That act
     killing some 1.5 to 2 million largely defenseless and quite
     peaceful Cambodians.

          Civilian Iraq is utterly defenseless and totally unprepared
     for the carnage that is about to be visited upon them. It is murder
     plain and simple, murder on an unimaginable scale.

          There is no "war" looming, no "conflict" with Iraq, and no
     "standoff." What exists is a vast military force poised to inflict
     death and destruction on a major population center. Those who live
     there will attempt to defend themselves, but they will fail, and
     the dead will cover the ground like a fallen forest.

          Should this act of insanity proceed, it will stand as one of
     the greatest crimes against humanity ever recorded.

          Know now, it can be stopped.

          This deadly drama now playing out on the United Nations stage
     is not for diplomacy or disarmament or for some vague resolution.
     They joust for one thing: the hearts of common men. All that stands
     between Baghdad and unprecedented destruction is our favor, and
     nothing more.

          The world does not oppose America; it opposes unbridled
     aggression. While their leaders disagree on what course to take,
     the people of France, England, Spain and the United States do not.
     It is not the collective will of these nations that Baghdad be
     destroyed and it's sons and daughters slain. We are tolerant and
     reasonable; we will allow the process of inspections to proceed.
     Men like Bush and Blair, small in numbers and spirit, beat the drum
     for invasion in the hopes that many will follow. If those many
     stand firm, their call will go unanswered.

          The blood of innocents once shed cannot be unshed. Should the
     US military set about killing these people, the deed remains  our
     doing for all time. We are given now a precious moment for
     reflection.  Let us use it wisely. The voices of true American
     friends all over the world are clearly calling to us:  Be
     patient... work as a group... you are not alone. Let us not taint
     the American experience for all time by answering, instead, a
     drumbeat to madness.

          We hear day after day that "Time is running out." Running out
     on what, on who? On Saddam Hussein? On a five thousand year old
     city? On 24 million men, women and children? Or is time running out
     on the spirit of America? On the soul of our people? Why is it that
     the world no longer cherishes American values? Could it be because
     we no longer cherish them ourselves?

          The right way is the American way. America's great gift to the
     world is fair play and due process. Democracy is not a sales
     slogan. It is a commitment to tolerating dissent and yielding to
     consensus. Genocide, on the other hand, is true anarchy.

          You can send comments to t r u t h o u t Editor Marc Ash at:
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>