-Caveat Lector-

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=24042
Arab News
SAUDI ARABIA'S FIRST ENGLISH LANGUAGE DAILY

Baghdad’s Night of Terror
Robert Fisk, The Independent
Published on 22 March 2003

Iraqi President Saddam Hussein’s main presidential palace, a great rampart
of a building
20 stories high, simply exploded in front of me — a cauldron of fire, a 100ft
sheet of flame and a sound that had my ears singing for an hour after. The
entire, massively buttressed edifice shuddered under the impact. Then
four more Cruise missiles came in.

It is the heaviest bombing Baghdad has suffered in more than 20 years of
war. All across the city last night, massive explosions shook the ground. To
my right, the Ministry of Armaments Procurement — a long colonnaded
building looking much like the facade of the Pentagon — coughed fire as
five missiles crashed into the concrete.

In an operation officially intended to create “shock and awe,” shock was
hardly the word for it. The few Iraqis in the streets around me — no
friends of Saddam I would suspect — cursed under their breath.

>From high-rise buildings, shops and homes came the thunder of crashing
glass as the shock waves swept across the Tigris River in both directions.
Minute after minute the missiles came in. Many Iraqis had watched — as I
had — television film of those ominous B-52 bombers taking off from Britain
only six hours earlier. Like me, they had noted the time, added three
hours for Iraqi time in front of London and guessed that, at around 9 p.m.,
the terror would begin. The B-52s, almost certainly firing from outside Iraqi
airspace, were dead on time.

Police cars drove at speed through the streets, their loudspeakers
ordering pedestrians to take shelter or hide under cover of tall buildings.
Much good did it do. Crouching next to a block of shops on the opposite
side of the river, I narrowly missed the shower of glass that came
cascading down from the upper windows as the shock waves slammed into
them.

Along the streets a few Iraqis could be seen staring from balconies, shards
of broken glass around them. Each time one of the great golden bubbles of
fire burst across the city, they ducked inside before the blast wave
reached them. At one point, as I stood beneath the trees on the
corniche, a wave of Cruise missiles passed low overhead, the shriek of
their passage almost as devastating as the explosions that were to follow.

How, I ask myself, does one describe this outside the language of a military
report, the definition of the color, the decibels of the explosions? When
the Cruise missiles came in, it sounded as if someone was ripping to pieces
huge curtains of silk in the sky and the blast waves became a kind of
frightening counterpoint to the flames.

There is something anarchic about all human beings, about their reaction
to violence. The Iraqis around me stood and watched, as I did, at huge
tongues of flame bursting from the upper stories of Saddam’s palace,
reaching high into the sky. Strangely, the electricity grid continued to
operate and around us the traffic lights continued to move between red
and green. Billboards moved in the breeze of the shock waves and
floodlights continued to blaze on public buildings. Above us we could see
the massive curtains of smoke beginning to move over Baghdad, white from
the explosions, black from the burning targets.

How could one resist it? How could the Iraqis ever believe with their
broken technology, their debilitating 12 years of sanctions, that they
could defeat the computers of these missiles and of these aircraft? It was
the same old story: Irresistible, unquestionable power.

Well yes, one could say, could one attack a more appropriate regime? But
that is not quite the point. For the message of last night’s raid was the
same as that of Thursday’s raid, that of all the raids in the hours to come:
That the United States must be obeyed. That the EU, UN, NATO — nothing
— must stand in its way.

No doubt this morning the Iraqi minister of information will address us all
again and insist that Iraq will prevail. We shall see. But many Iraqis are now
asking an obvious question: How many days? Not because they want the
Americans or the British in Baghdad, though they may profoundly wish it.
But because they want this violence to end: Which, when you think of it,
is exactly why these raids took place.

Reports were coming in last night of civilians killed in the raids — which,
given the intensity of the Cruise missile attacks — is not surprising. Another
target turned out to be the vast Rashid military barracks, perhaps the
largest in Iraq.

But the symbolic center of this raid was clearly intended to be Saddam’s
main palace, with its villas, fountains, porticos and gardens. And, sure
enough, the flames licking across the facade of the palace last night
looked very much like a funeral pyre.

Arab News Features 22 March 2003

Copyright © 2003 ArabNews All Rights Reserved.
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>