-Caveat Lector-

http://www.newsfrombabylon.com/article.php?sid=2914
Red Alert City - Are New Yorkers the president’s sacrificial lambs?
Posted on Wednesday, March 12 @ 18:53:40 EST by JohnBrown
Submitted by sv3n

by Michelangelo Signorile, New York Press [US]
March 12, 2003

We’re on the brink and, like many, I have a scary vision in my head: Right
after the bombs begin dropping over Baghdad, or perhaps in ensuing
months and years, as many in the Arab world seethe over the U.S.’s
actions, further ferocious terrorist attacks will occur here in New York
City. It’s one among many reasons I’ve opposed military action, and
certainly without the U.N.—yes, even though the counterargument claims
that if we don’t take out Saddam right away, he’ll give weapons of mass
destruction to terrorists who will no doubt target Manhattan.

I’ve yet to be convinced that Saddam-connected terrorist attacks will
occur if we don’t act this very minute, while I’m quite convinced that acts
of terror will occur if we do. It’s a big relief that Osama’s top guys are now
being captured; the Bushies are to be commended for that, no matter
how long it took. But this invade-and-conquer scheme could undo
whatever bit of safety we’ve gained, since there are a lot more Muslim
terrorist groups out there beyond al Qaeda. And CIAhead George Tenet
has warned of terrorist attacks if the U.S. invades Iraq.

That said, I’ve not bought even one roll of duct tape, nor have I gotten
any plastic sheets for the windows. While a lot of crackpots in farmhouses
out in the middle of the country are duct-taping every square inch of
their homes and building anti-radiation bunkers underground, I don’t
believe they’re really afraid, at least not for any rational reasons. For
them, terrorism threats make for another obsessive and paranoid hobby,
like going on a trek to the Arizona desert to try to find extraterrestrials. I
think it’s pretty safe to assume that Al Qaeda is not going to set off a dirty
bomb in the middle of the Kansas wheat fields.

No, the fear I have as a resident of New York City is certainly a more
grounded one, and in that respect it’s accompanied by the reality that
duct tape and plastic sheets aren’t going to do a damn thing. A
Newsday/NY1 poll conducted last week showed that in fact I’m among the
majority of city residents, who have a markedly different opinion on the
war than that of the country as the whole.

Only 19 percent of New Yorkers support a war without U.N. backing (as
opposed to nearly half of all Americans in other polls). Another 32 percent
support war only with the U.N.’s okay. And 42 percent of all New Yorkers
are opposed to any war of any kind against Iraq, period.

In his robotic and monotone primetime press conference last week,
George W. Bush sloughed off the North Korea nuclear threat—a "regional"
problem, he said—while repeating his Saddam mantras like a wind-up doll.
But the one comment that concerned many New Yorkers came in
response to a question about potential retaliation attacks by terrorists:

"It’s hard to envision more terror on America than September 11th," Bush
said, attempting to connect 9/11 once again to Saddam. (Actually, he
attempted to do that about a dozen times in the press conference.)

It was a profoundly, frighteningly arrogant statement. As I recall, on Sept.
11th, the president was whisked off on Air Force One to various places far
in the hinterlands while the rest of us who reside in New York and
Washington faced the terror head-on. And unlike Bush, the rest of us in
the epicenters of terror know that if—when?—it happens again (or just
before, maybe even as the bombs begin dropping on Iraq) we and our
families won’t be carted off to a safe, undisclosed location like the Bushes,
the Cheneys, and the Rumsfelds.

While Bush can’t "envision" more terror, New Yorkers certainly can. How
about watching the Empire State Building come down next time? Sarin gas
in the subways? Truck bombs on bridges? A radiological device exploding in
Times Square?

Those are the cataclysmic events New Yorkers are thinking about with
regard to this war against Iraq. And before you say it, the opposition to
war against Iraq among New Yorkers can’t be easily chocked up to liberal
sympathies. This is a city, after all, with a Republican mayor— the second
one in a row—that voted in big numbers for a Republican governor, twice.
The folks in Brooklyn and Queens are far from Upper West Side liberals or
downtown intellectuals of the "give peace a chance" variety, and Staten
Island votes consistently Republican.

More than that, the poll shows quite clearly that a major reason so many
New Yorkers oppose the war is their fear of further terrorism. While less
than half of New Yorkers—45 percent—believe an attack is inevitable right
this minute, 67 percent believe the threat of terrorism increases if the
U.S. invades Iraq.

A few months back, Jimmy Breslin wrote a Newsday column

claiming that Bush couldn’t care less about the safety of New Yorkers,
using Ground Zero as a photo-op while opening us up to further attacks by
waging war in the Middle East. As time goes on, his words only ring with
more truth.

Most of the opposition, much of it based in part on a fear of further
attacks, comes from people in cities and other enclaves in "blue" states
—those states that voted for Al Gore in the 2000 election—as opposed to
Bush’s "red" states. Most of the terrorist targets that surfaced in the
"chatter" the CIA has heard since 9/11—from LAX airport and the Golden
Gate Bridge to Manhattan and D.C.—are in blue states or locales Bush
wouldn’t have a chance of winning in the next election.

You have to wonder if Bush would have led us down this road if the 9/ 11
attacks occurred at Dallas and Houston shopping malls instead of in New
York and Washington, if the "chatter" showed that Texas was now the
primary target of Muslim fundamentalist terrorists and if the polls showed
that Texans—and, say, Floridians—were overwhelmingly opposed to the
war.

But it’s not that way. It’s this way: He conquers Iraq. He solidifies his
support in Texas and his other red states. He uses New York and its
tragedy as a backdrop for his re-election campaign, when the Republican
convention comes here in 2004.

And meanwhile, we live in constant dread, perhaps more of a target than
ever before.

Volume 16, Issue 11 - 3/12/2003

http://www.nypress.com/16/11/news&columns/signorile.cfm
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>