-Caveat Lector-

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/222/nation/
BOSTON GLOBE -
Bryan Bender

CIA warned administration of postwar guerrilla peril

In February, the CIA gave a formal briefing to the National Security Council,
including Defense Secretary Donald H.Rumsfeld, Vice President Dick Cheney, and
President Bush himself: "A quick military victory in Iraq will likely be
followed by armed resistance from remnants of the Ba'ath Party and Fedayeen
Saddam irregulars." The administration seemed unmoved. In the weeks leading up
to the Iraq war, top Bush administration officials made glowing predictions that
Iraqis would
welcome US troops with open arms, while behind the scenes they did little to
prepare for a guerrilla war.

"My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators," Cheney said on
NBC's "Meet the Press" on March 16. "I've talked with a lot of Iraqis in the
last several months myself, had them to the White House."
"I imagine they will be welcomed," Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D.
Wolfowitz, a key architect of the White House's Iraq strategy, said in an
interview April 3, two weeks into the war, with CBS's "60 Minutes II."

"I think there's every reason to think that huge numbers of the Iraqi
population are going to welcome these people ... provided we don't overstay
our welcome, provided we mean what we say about handing things back over to
the Iraqis," Wolfowitz said.

www.ctrl.org