-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ <A HREF="">ctrl</A> ======================================================================== To subscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email: SUBSCRIBE CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To UNsubscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email: SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Om

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3741646/

Dubious Link Between Atta and Saddam

A document tying the Iraqi leader with
the 9/11 terrorist is probably fake.
PLUS, how terror financiers manage
to stay in business WEB EXCLUSIVE
Newsweek
Updated: 5:53 p.m. ET Dec. 17, 2003

Dec. 17 - A widely publicized Iraqi document that purports to show  that
September 11 hijacker Mohammed Atta visited Baghdad in  the summer of  2001
is probably a fabrication that is contradicted by U.S. law-enforcement
records showing Atta was staying at cheap motels and apartments in the
United States when the trip presumably would have taken place, according to
U.S. law enforcement officials and FBI documents.

The new document, supposedly written by the chief of the Iraqi intelligence
service, was trumpeted by the Sunday Telegraph of London earlier this week
in a front-page story that broke hours before the dramatic capture of Saddam
Hussein. TERRORIST BEHIND SEPTEMBER 11 STRIKE WAS TRAINED BY SADDAM, ran the
headline on the story written by Con Coughlin, a Telegraph correspondent and
the author of the book "Saddam: The Secret Life."

Coughlin's account was picked up by newspapers around the world and was
cited the next day by New York Times columnist William Safire. But U.S.
officials and a leading Iraqi document expert tell NEWSWEEK that the
document is most likely a forgery-part of a thriving new trade in dubious
Iraqi documents that has cropped up in the wake of the collapse of Saddam's
regime.

 "It's a lucrative business," says Hassan Mneimneh, codirector of an Iraqi
exile research group reviewing millions of captured Iraqi government
documents. "There's an active document trade taking place . You have
fraudulent documents that are being fabricated and sold" for hundreds of
dollars a piece.

Mneimneh said he hadn't seen the Telegraph document that purports to place
Atta in Baghdad. But he, along with senior U.S. law-enforcement and
intelligence officials, said the claims of an Atta trip to Iraq in the
months before the September 11 attacks were highly implausible-and
contradicted by a wealth of information that has been collected about Atta's
movements during the period he was plotting the attacks on the World Trade
Center and the Pentagon.

The Telegraph story was apparently written with a political purpose: to
bolster Bush administration claims of a connection between Al Qaeda and
Saddam's regime. The paper described a "handwritten memo" that was
supposedly sent to Saddam Hussein by Tahir Jalil Habbush al-Tikriti, chief
of Iraqi intelligence at the time. It describes a three-day "work program"
that Atta had undertaken in Baghdad under the tutelage of notorious
Palestinian terrorist Abu Nidal, who lived in the Iraqi capital until his
death under suspicious circumstances in  August 2002.

 "Mohammed Atta, an Egyptian national, came with Abu Ammer [who is
unidentified] and we hosted him in Abu Nidal's house at Al-Dora under our
direct supervision," the document states. "We arranged a work program for
him for three days with a team dedicated to working with him ... He
displayed extraordinary effort and showed a firm commitment to lead the team
which will be responsible for attacking the targets that we have agreed to
destroy."

The document, which according to Coughlin was supplied by Iraq's interim
government, doesn't say exactly when Atta was supposed to have actually
flown to Baghdad. But the memo is dated July 1, 2001, and Coughlin himself
places the trip as the summer of 2001.

 The problem with this, say U.S. law enforcement officials, is that the FBI
has compiled a highly detailed time line for Atta's movements throughout the
spring and summer of 2001 based on a mountain of documentary evidence,
including airline records, ATM withdrawals and hotel receipts. Those records
show Atta crisscrossing the United States during this period-making only one
overseas trip, an 11-day visit to Spain that didn't begin until six days
after the date of the Iraqi memo.

 One FBI document, labeled "Law Enforcement Sensitive," states that during
the summer of 2001, Atta "conducted extensive travel" that included visits
in Florida, Boston, New York, New Jersey and Las Vegas. Indeed, this and
other FBI documents show that during the last few days in June-when the
presumed Iraq trip would appear to have occurred-almost all of Atta's
movements are accounted for: On June 27, 2001, Atta flew from Ft.
Lauderdale, Fla., to Boston. On the morning of June 28, he traveled from
Boston to San Francisco (flying first class) where he switched planes and
landed in Las Vegas that afternoon at 2:41 p.m. That afternoon, he rented a
Chevrolet Malibu from an Alamo rental-car office, set up an account at an
Internet café called the Cyber Zone and checked into the EconoLodge motel on
Las Vegas Boulevard, a cheap motel in a neighborhood of seedy strip joints
that is located barely two blocks from the local FBI office.

The FBI records show Atta logged onto his Cyber Zone Internet account five
times over the next two days and then checked out of the EconoLodge at 3:30
a.m. on the morning of July 1. He then returned his rental car and boarded a
flight to Denver at 5:59 a.m., landing in Boston later that day. A week
later, on July 7, Atta boarded a flight from Boston to Zurich-the first leg
on his trip to Spain. He returned to the United States on July 19, 2001.

  Much about Atta's movements is still unknown-and most likely will remain
so. FBI officials believe, for example, that Atta flew to Las Vegas as part
of a series of trips he took that summer to test security at U.S. airports
in preparation for the September 11 attacks. But it is just a theory. The
visit to Spain is believed to have been for a meeting with Ramzi bin
al-Shibh, one of the planners of the September 11 attacks, who also was in
Spain during the same time.

  While all of Atta's movements cannot be accounted for, enough is known to
make it "highly unlikely" that the September 11 ringleader could have flown
off to Baghdad for a three-day work program with Iraqi intelligence, a FBI
official told NEWSWEEK. For similar reasons, the bureau has long since
discounted claims by Czech intelligence-and widely promoted by some Iraq
hawks in the Bush administration-that Atta had flown to Prague to meet with
an Iraqi intelligence agent around April 8, 2001.

  FBI records show Atta and fellow hijacker Marwan Al-Shehhi checking out of
the Diplomat Inn in Virginia Beach, Va., and writing a check for cash for
$8,000 for a SunTrust account in that city on April 4, 2001. For the rest of
that week, Atta's cell phone was used to make repeated calls to Florida. On
April 11, Atta rented an apartment in Coral Springs, Fla. While
acknowledging that a few days are unaccounted for, the FBI has found no
evidence that Atta departed the country overseas during this period, an
official said.

Mneimneh, the Iraqi document expert, says that there are other reasons to
discount the handwritten memo touted by the Telegraph. The document includes
another sensational second item: how Iraqi intelligence, helped by a "small
team from the Al Qaeda organization," arranged for a shipment from Niger to
reach Iraq by way of Libya and Syria. Although the shipment is unspecified,
the reference to Niger was immediately suggestive of Bush administration
assertions earlier this year that Iraq sought to import yellowcake uranium
from that African nation-claims that also have been widely discredited as
being based on other forged documents that apparently came from the Niger
Embassy in Rome.

Mneimneh says the wording of the document makes him highly suspicious: Iraqi
intelligence officials were notoriously conservative and rarely-if ever-put
incriminating information in writing. The reference to the Iraqi
intelligence working with a "small team from the Al Qaeda organization" is
"too explicit," he says.

  Ironically, even the Iraqi National Congress of Ahmed Chalabi, which has
been vocal in claiming ties between Al Qaeda and Saddam's regime, was
dismissive of the new Telegraph story. "The memo is clearly nonsense," an
INC  spokesman told NEWSWEEK.

 Contacted by Newsweek, The Sunday Telegraph's Con Coughlin acknowledged
that he could not prove the authenticity of the document. He said that while
he got the memo about Mohammed Atta and Baghdad from a "senior" member of
the Iraqi Governing Council who insisted it was "genuine," he and his
newspaper had "no way of verifying it. It's our job as journalists to air
these things and see what happens," he said.

Holes in the Terror Financing Net

What does it take to shut down a major terrorist finance network ? U.S.,
European and United Nations investigators acknowledge that despite decisions
by the Bush administration and the United Nations to put out of business a
Swiss-and-Bahamas-based Islamic financial network called Al-Taqwa ("Fear of
God" in Arabic), the network's long-time chief, who is also the subject of
U.S. and United Nations sanctions, still is fighting to keep some of his
businesses open.

Youssef Nada, an elderly Egyptian financier who founded and ran the Al-Taqwa
network from bases in southern Switzerland and northern Italy, was
designated a terrorist financier by the Bush administration in November
2001. A U.S. Treasury official testified to Congress that Nada had provided
financial assistance to Al Qaeda both before and after the 9/11 attacks. In
2002, the Treasury placed more than a dozen companies established by Nada
and an Eritrean-born business associate named Ahmed Idris Nasreddin on the
U.S. terrorist finance sanctions list.

But U.N. officials and some news organizations recently have reported that
despite international and U.S. sanctions, Nada and Nasreddin have continued
to operate companies and own businesses-including luxury hotels in Italy
owned by Nasreddin. And NEWSWEEK has learned that authorities in the tiny
alpine money haven of Liechtenstein have recently failed in efforts to seize
control over the remnants of one of Nada's corporate vehicles.

In an apparent effort to keep part of his financial network alive,
law-enforcement sources say, Nada successfully applied to Liechtenstein
officials for permission to rename two of his companies based in the pocket
principality, both of which were in the process of liquidation.
Liechtenstein authorities subsequently launched an effort to oust Nada as
liquidator of one of the companies, now called Waldenberg, and install a
former senior Liechtenstein government official as the new liquidator. This
would have given investigators control over what remains of the records of
the company, which might have yielded valuable clues as to Nada's financial
activities.

But European law-enforcement sources say that a judge in Liechtenstein
recently rejected the government's proposals to install a new liquidator,
leaving Nada in charge of the failed company-and its critical records. A
recent U.N. report noted that even though U.N. sanctions say that officially
designated terrorist financiers like Nada must not be allowed to travel
internationally, Nada has traveled from his residence in a tiny enclave of
Italian territory surrounded by the Swiss canton of Ticino to Liechtenstein
on business. A Swiss government official said that due to relaxed travel
controls around Europe, it is not practical for the Swiss government to
enforce an international travel ban on Nada, who has repeatedly denied any
connection to Al Qaeda or terrorism.

C 2003 Newsweek, Inc.


-__ ___ _ ___ __ ___ _ _ _ __
/-_|-0-\-V-/-\|-|-__|-|-|-/-_|
\_-\--_/\-/|-\\-|-_||-V-V-\_-\
|__/_|--//-|_|\_|___|\_A_/|__/

 SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter and discussion list associated to
Mario's Cyberspace Station - The Global Intelligence News Portal
 http://mprofaca.cro.net

######## CAUTION! #########

 Since you are receiving and reading documents, news stories,
comments and opinions not only from so called or self-proclaimed
"reliable sources", but also a lot of possible misinformation collected
by Spy News moderator and subscribers and posted to Spy News
for OSINT purposes - it should be a serious reason (particularly to
journalists and web publishers) to think twice before using it for their
story writing, further publishing or forwarding throughout Cyberspace.

To unsubscribe:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** FAIR USE NOTICE: This message contains copyrighted material whose use has not been 
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News is making it available 
without profit to SPY NEWS eGroup members who have expressed a prior interest in 
receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of 
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, techniques, 
human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other intelligence related issues, 
for non-profit research and educational purposes only. We believe that this 
constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of 
the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of 
your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright 
owner.
For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

 -----------------------------------------------

 SPY NEWS home page:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spynews

 Mario Profaca
 http://mprofaca.cro.net/

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spynews/

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/



www.ctrl.org
DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
==========
CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
screeds are unwelcomed. Substanceâ??not soap-boxingâ??please!   These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'â??with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright fraudsâ??is used politically by different groups with
major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and
always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no
credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector.
========================================================================
Archives Available at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
<A HREF="http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>
========================================================================
To subscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SUBSCRIBE CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To UNsubscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Om

--- End Message ---

Reply via email to