-Caveat Lector-

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2004-04-21-diebold-flamed_x.htm?csp=15

Voting machine maker attacked for California performance
By Jim Wasserman, Associated Press
Posted 4/22/2004 12:00 AM

SACRAMENTO - Embattled electronic voting machine maker Diebold Election
Systems weathered new accusations Wednesday of computer glitches,
last-minute software fixes and careless job performances that, in the words
of the California secretary of state's office, "jeopardized the outcome of
the March election."

A state voting systems panel is considering disciplinary action against the
firm, which could bruise its standing nationally as states gear up to spend
billions of dollars for new touch screen voting equipment.

Diebold President Robert J. Urosevich apologized Wednesday to Secretary of
State Kevin Shelley, the eight-member voter systems panel that oversees
California voting machinery and to 17 counties that use its varying
electronic voting systems.

"We're not idiots, though we may act from time to time as not the smartest,"
Urosevich told the panel investigating its job performance in California.

A report released Wednesday by the Shelley's office reported that Diebold
sold new electronic voting equipment to Solano, San Diego, San Joaquin and
Kern counties before it was state- or federally approved, didn't test it
until shortly before the March 2 election, installed uncertified software in
its equipment in 17 counties and still lacks federal approval for its newest
voting machines for the November election.

The Diebold investigation is part of a two-day hearing into touch-screen
voting in California, where fears of another disputed presidential election
have activists pressing for a ban on electronic voting this November.

Though nearly half the state's voters vote in counties with touch-screen
machines, many rallied Wednesday against casting votes without a verifiable
paper trail. But advocates for the blind, disabled and those who speak
languages other than English defended electronic systems as the only way for
them to vote privately, while county voting officials also vigorously
protested a possible ban as an invitation to chaos and $30 million in extra
costs.

The committee conducting the hearing is to make recommendations Thursday to
Shelley regarding a statewide ban on electronic voting, but also on
Diebold's fate, which could include fines or banning its equipment entirely
in California.

Shelley must decide by April 30 to ban Diebold's machines in California, and
possibly those of all other manufacturers, as well, to give elections
departments six months to make other plans for the Nov. 2 vote.

If Shelley declines, state lawmakers have also introduced bills to ban
electronic voting in the November election.

Reports presented to the voting systems panel showed 573 of San Diego
County's 1,038 polling places failed to open on time March 2 because of
Diebold computer malfunctions, while many machines also failed during the
day in Alameda County, requiring voters to use paper ballots.

"We were caught. We apologized for that," said Urosevich. "We're sorry for
that. We're sorry for the inconvenience it caused."

A former Diebold computer technician, James Dunn, also told the panel he and
a fellow employee weren't surprised to hear of problems in both counties
after seeing machines shipped with low batteries and different kinds of
software from a West Sacramento warehouse.

"I heard about it on the radio," said Dunn. "We both looked at each other
and laughed and said, 'Well, that was predictable.'"

Diebold consultant Marvin Singleton disputed Dunn's assertions, saying,
"It's our belief he's either confused or misguided on a number of points."

Several county officials that use Diebold machines and those made by other
manufacturers defended them as glitch-free, more reliable than paper ballots
and popular with voters.

"You improve the software, fix the glitch and go on," said Kern County
Registrar of Voters Ann Barnett, who uses Diebold machines. "To decertify
our touch screens would be a disservice to the voters of our county and the
state."

Urosevich, too, defended the performance of his company's machines used in
California, Georgia and Maryland, contending that none has encountered
security breaches or misreported vote counts.

Diebold Election Systems, based in McKinney, Texas, is a subsidiary of
Ohio-based Diebold, Inc., which reported more than $2 billion in sales last
year, largely from ATM machines used in banks. Voting machines represent
about 5% of its business, but could grow as states receive $3.9 billion in
federal funds to update their voting systems.

Read the bills to ban paperless electronic voting this November, SB 530 and
SB1723, at http://legislature.ca.gov

www.ctrl.org