-Caveat Lector-

Sasa Rekazic, my cartoonist friend in Serbia, sent me the following
article.  It was written by Charles Alverson, an American who has been
living in Serbia for five years.  Alverson is the ex-editor of Harvey
Kurtzman's legendary Help! magazine and the author of scripts for Terry
Gilliam's movies.  He has also been a reporter for the Wall Street Journal
and Rolling Stone.

Mack White
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.swankarmy.net/dutch5/comixnow/
P.O. Box 49575
Austin, TX  78765

The Serbian Nightmare (By Charles Alverson)

Right now, for an American being in Serbia is like living in a bad dream
but not exactly a nightmare. Here in the Vojvodina countryside about midway
between Belgrade and southern Hungary, disturbed only by anti-air raid
sirens and the dull boom of distant anti-aircraft fire, everyday life is
too peaceful to support such a dramatic description.

But all the same it is very strange.

I mean, the country is being bombed by NATO, those defenders of European
peace, allegedly to protect the ethnic Albanian Yugoslavs in Kosovo.   But
ethnic Albanians are daily fleeing Kosovo and Serbia in ever-greater
masses.  The bombing is obviously not working.  Some 28,000 NATO troops
perched just across the Macedonian border awaitPresident Clinton tells usan
 'invitation' from the Yugoslav government to come in and restore the
peace.  Bombs, apparently, do not need an invitation, but troops do.  So
the troops, potential saviors of the ethnic Albanians, sit idly amid
growing Macedonian hostility while the international media scream louder
and louder about  'ethnic cleansing.'

The curious current worldview of the Serbs asks us to believe two things
simultaneously: that the Serbs are superhuman and that they are also
subhuman.  They are superhuman in that they should not really mind turning
over a nice chunk of their nation (just under 10 per cent) to an ethnic
Albanian republic because the majority there simply does not want to be
Yugoslavs. The world asks Serbia: What is the big deal about this?  Never
mind the Serbian view of Kosovo as the cradle of Serbian culture drenched
with the blood of Serbian martyrs over more than 600 years, etc.   In a
very real way, it is the equivalent of telling Mr. and Mrs. Jones:   'Look,
the relations sharing your house outnumber you, and they are unhappy about
the way you have treated them.  So, why don't you just move out of a couple
of rooms and let them take over?  And invite in some nice policemen for an
unlimited time to make sure things go smoothly.  Come to your senses, folks
or we'll keep bombing you until you do.'

Your superhuman Serb is supposed to be above such mundane concerns as
patriotism, historical and cultural pride and simply the fact that a part
of his country is suddenly going to require a visa to visit.  He is
supposed to reject not only Big Serbia, that mythical state beloved of the
editorial writers who have forgotten all the Serbian history they never
learned, but positively embrace Little (or even Minimalist) Serbia, the
small-economy size nationlet the world might possibly leave him to enjoy.
My Serbian wife, Zivana, claims that the Vojvodina region where we livewith
large ethnic Hungarian, Slovakian and German minoritieswill be the next bit
of Serbia to be surgically removed.  Before the Kosovo-inspired bombing, I
thought she was being paranoid.

At the same time, the Serbs are urged to be superhuman enough to ignore a
little thing like an armed uprising and to fight a civil war against
guerrillas without upsetting or displacing non-combatants, they are accused
>of being subhuman in their treatment of the ethnic Albanians.  No
atrocity,
no brutality is too extreme to be attributed to the vicious Serbs,
especially by journalists far from the scene or those with an axe to grind.
 Their blood lust whetted by the Bosnian War, the Serbs are caricatured as
eager to persecute the innocent ethnic Albanians simply because they are
not Serbs and do not want to stay Yugoslavians.

It probably does no good for me to insist that these do not resemble the
Serbs that I have come to know in nearly five years of living in the
country.  You may think that I am naive to mention that in all that time I
have seldom witnessed a public argument and never seen even a fistfight.
Perhaps there is something magical about donning a uniform that turns an
18-year-old conscripted Serb into a  'beast.'

I don't pretend to know what is going on in Kosovo in these dark times.
But I hope for the best while fearing the worst.   What I see in Belgrade
is a maligned and persecuted people reacting with courage and humor to the
phenomenon of defenselessness under the bombs of NATO.  All over Belgrade
people wear pinned-on target badges to reflect their contempt for the
bombers and those who sent them. The sight of a young mother pinning
targets on her toddler and a baby in a pushchair at a huge pop concert in
the center of Belgrade typifies the spirit of a people who are battered but
not yet defeated."

Charles Alverson, Serbia