-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message --- -Caveat Lector-

Beach evaluator accused of West cities 'shakedown'

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES - Officials and environmentalists are criticizing a nonprofit group that ranks clean beaches, saying it cast doubt on shores that didn't make its list only because beach managers refused to pay the organization's evaluation fees.

The annual list issued last month by the Washington, D.C.-based Clean Beaches Council highlighted 53 beaches in 10 states - none on the West Coast. The group rates public safety, cleanliness and environmental quality of coastal areas.

The group's founder and president, Walter McLeod, suggested to CNN last month that West Coast beaches didn't make the list because they didn't qualify.

"We toughened our criteria last year, which means that beaches have to build up to become certified," McLeod said.

But California officials and environmentalists said the true reason West Coast beaches were missing was because they didn't pay the group's fees: $2,500 for each beach for the first year and $1,250 for yearly renewals. They complained McLeod's comments weren't based on firsthand knowledge and were meant to pressure beach cities into paying.

"It's an effort to blackmail cities," said Steve Aceti, executive director of the California Coastal Coalition, a beach advocacy group whose membership includes more than 40 cities and counties. "This campaign is designed to make cities feel threatened if they're not on the list. It's tantamount to a shakedown."

McLeod denied ever trying to pressure cities to join the program by criticizing their beaches. But he allowed that some of his remarks may have been misleading.

"I probably may have mis-conveyed that it was quality criteria alone that caused California or Hawaii not to be in the program," McLeod told the Los Angeles Times. "If that was communicated, then that's certainly not what we intended."

McLeod said the fees pay for experts to review water quality data provided by local governments and to inspect the beaches.

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I
can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will
not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do,
I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God,
I will do." - Edward Everett Hale

"Knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave." -Frederick Douglass

Please let us stay on topic and be civil.-Home Page- www.cia-drugs.org
OM

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here