-Caveat Lector- www.ctrl.org DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

--- Begin Message ---

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/KlSolB/TM

October 25, 2004
Please Distribute Widely

Dear Colleague,

During a debate we had here on The Narcosphere back in August, I wrote:

"...it is impossible for the United States to militarily invade Mexico - or
even place an economic embargo upon it - without causing conditions that
would fast lead a rebellion by United States citizens against their own
government at home, and that Mexico enjoys a unique power in this sense..."

I have said this, in fact, to thousands of people in recent years, imploring
Mexican friends and allies to realize the real power they have to change
drug policies, and others, without fear of Uncle Sam, and imploring gringo
friends and allies to understand that a potential silver bullet exists South
of the Border to collapse the entire drug war game.

I usually get blank stares in response. To suggest that the little guy can
beat the neighborhood bully here in a barrio called América seems to cause a
kind of nervous discomfort.

But in today's Mexico City daily La Jornada, somebody else just said it: a
very official-looking bloke from the David Rockefeller Center for Latin
American Studies at Harvard University. His name is John Coatsworth. Look at
his photo. It's not like he's wearing a ski-mask over his suit and tie. This
guy is as establishment as they come. I'll translate his words. Maybe y'all
will listen to the guy in the suit...

Coatsworth, director of the Rockefeller Center, said:

"For the first time in the history of the Mexico-United States relationship,
the latter can't act against its neighbor in a manner that damages
significant Mexican interests without damaging its own interests...

"I think that the most interesting and least recognized aspect of the
relations between both countries is how power has been displaced so
dramatically from the United States toward Mexico. The people who keep
talking about the asymmetry have to rethink it. That offers Mexico the
capacity to project power toward Washington in favor of its own interests
and in a way that is still not being exploited, very consistently and
consciously..."

Coatsworth was interviewed by David Brooks and Jim Cason about the upcoming
elections in the United States, prospects for changes in immigration policy,
and economic issues. To be fair, I'll note that he didn't bring up drugs.
But I'll also say that everything he says about the changing power dynamics
between the two countries applies with exactitude to questions of drug
policy.

The days are over when U.S. Ambassadors and special envoys - like
Washington's Charles Shapiro attempted Thursday in Bolivia (Read Alex
Contreras' Narco News report on that adventure in imperial arrogance) - can
threaten Mexico with similar harm if it doesn't toe the line on drug policy.
The dynamics are simply too explosive. Harm the Mexican economy, and you
harm the U.S. economy. The right hand can't shoot the left hand without
losing blood itself.

So what keeps the drug war in place in Mexico?

Read the analysis on The Narcosphere:

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/story/2004/10/25/122117/29

And join the conversation.

A lot is about to change in our América. And it's about time. Be prepared!

>From somewhere in a country called América,

Al Giordano
Publisher
The Narco News Bulletin
http://www.narconews.com/
new email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Narco News is supported by:

The Fund for Authentic Journalism
P.O. Box 71051
Madison Heights, MI 48071 USA
http://www.authenticjournalism.org

The Fund receives online donations at this web page:

http://www.authenticjournalism.org

Apply for your co-publisher's account, here:

http://www.narconews.com/copublisher/application.php

Subscribe for free alerts of new reports:

Suscríbete gratis para alertas de nuevos reportajes en español:

Inscreva-se para alertas gratuitos de reportagens do último minuto em
português brasileiro:

http://toolbar.msn.com/

Yahoo! Groups Links

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]