-Caveat Lector-

Open ANWR: Vote YES on H.R. 5429, The American-Made Energy and Good Jobs
Act

May 24, 2006

Dear Colleague:

We have an opportunity to pass legislation that would reduce our
dependence on foreign sources of energy, lower gas prices for consumers,
create high paying jobs, while reducing our trade and budget deficits.

H.R. 5429, authored by Chairman Pombo, will do all of these things.
Specifically, the American-Made Energy and Good Jobs Act will:

 Reduce our reliance on foreign sources of energy. As we work to reduce
reliance on foreign sources of oil, we need to be open to any approach
that will help. We should, for example, promote renewable sources of
energy. But just as it is doubtless true that this is part of solving our
energy problems, it cannot be suggested that this alone solves the
problem. Solar and wind power are currently .19 percent of total energy
supply. We also ought to be, and are, making investments in technologies
that hold promise in the future. But in the meantime, we have an untapped
source of energy that can be part of the solution right now.

The mean estimate of recoverable oil from ANWR is 10.4 billion barrels,
all of which would only be available for domestic consumption. By
comparison, that is more than all the proven reserves in Texas.

 Create new high paying jobs. More than 250,000 jobs by some estimates.
Instead of outsourcing these jobs overseas, we can keep those high paying
jobs right here while reducing the trade deficit.

 Reduce the budget deficit. We are faced with many difficult choices in
trying to address the nation's long-term budget outlook. ANWR is an option
that makes a modest, but real, improvement to our budget situation without
increasing anyone's taxes or reducing spending to any vital program.
Specifically, ANWR would improve the budget outlook by $111 billion or
more over 30 years based on current prices.

Opponents of H.R. 5429 have well-intentioned concerns regarding the
environment. On this general point much has been said. But it is worth
noting one environmental consequence of H.R. 5429: it will increase energy
production in the United States, where we do an outstanding job meeting
strict environmental standards, instead of outsourcing this production
overseas - where weaker environmental regulations prevail.

I hope you will join me in voting in favor of this important legislation,
which is an important step toward a better energy policy for America.

Sincerely,

Tom Cole
Member of Congress

Remember:More people have died in Ted Kennedy's car than have died in
United States Commercial Nuclear Power plant operations
 visit my web site at
http://www.info-quest.org
Visit my energy page at  http://www.info-quest.org/Energy.html
Check out the latest on the anwr drilling project http://www.anwr.org
visit my blog at
http://info-spectrum.blogspot.com
 My ICQ# is 79071904
See the Pledge of alleginace to the flag that the 9th circuit court of
appeals doesn't want you to say.
for a precise list of the powers of the Federal Government linkto:
http://www.info-quest.org/Enumerated.html

www.ctrl.org