-Caveat Lector-

**************************************
 See what's new at http://www.aol.com

www.ctrl.org

--- Begin Message ---
-Caveat Lector-

Top US analyst hits back after death threats over Citigroup downgrade
 (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/article2796774.ece)

Tom Bawden in New York
November 3, 2007, The Times (UK)
_http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/article2796774.ece_
(http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/article2796774.ece)

_Meredith Whitney: The $360bn analyst_
(http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/article2793366.ece)  |
_Citigroup fears send Wall Street
reeling _
(http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article2783520.ece) |
_Citigroup chief is about to quit amid mounting woes_
(http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/banking_and_finance/article27
96487.ece)  | _Wall St braced for $10bn more credit crunch hits_
(http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/article2790862.ece)
Meredith Whitney, the analyst who prompted a $369 billion (£177 billion)
plunge in the value of US shares on Thursday by issuing a negative note on
Citigroup, hit out at Wall Street’s culture of intimidation yesterday after
receiving
several death threats from investors in the bank.
Ms Whitney, a CIBC analyst who is married to the former World Wrestling
Entertainment champion Death Mask, prompted a near 7 per cent drop in
Citigroup’s
shares on Thursday, after suggesting that the bank needed to raise more than
$30 billion to restore its capital cushion.
She also downgraded her recommendation on Citigroup’s shares to “market
underperform” in the note that set off America’s biggest stock market decline
since August.
Ms Whitney, Forbes’s second-highest ranked stock picker for 2007, told The
Times: “People are scared to be negative, especially when a company has such a
wide holding. Clients are not pleased with my call and I have had several death
threats.
“But it was the most straightforward call I’ve made in my career and I am
surprised my peer analysts have been resistant. It’s so straightforward, it’s
indisputable.”
Ms Whitney, whose marriage to John Charles Layfield, the wrestler, 2½ years
ago was detailed in The New York Times, said that she has never felt any
pressure from the Wall Street firms themselves to be positive. But she said
investors could be “nasty and belligerent” if they felt you had lost them a lot
of
money by influencing the price of their shares.
“No one had the moxie to put in print what I put in print,” she said.
Ms Whitney’s note came two weeks after Citigroup reported a 57 per cent drop
in its third-quarter profits, following a $6.5 billion writedown, much of
which related to the credit crunch.
That writedown intensified recurring calls for Chuck Prince, Citigroup’s
head, to stand down, although he remains at the helm of the world’s biggest
bank.
But in a move that will fuel speculation about his position, Mr Prince
yesterday cancelled a speech he had been due to give tomorrow at the US Japan
Business Conference. A Citigroup spokesman said he had cancelled the appearance
prepare for the company’s new listing on the Tokyo Stock Exchange on Monday.
Ms Whitney, 37, met Mr Layfield in 2003 when they were panelists on Bulls &
Bears, a programme on Fox News.
Mr Layfield credits Ms Whitney with helping to make him more sophisticated.
The New York Times reported him saying at their wedding: “She took a country
boy like me and kind of refined me. I know what fork to use now at the dinner
table, and I drink my beer from a glass.”

Fed has biggest day of
injections since Sept 2001

Thu Nov 1, 2007 9:43am ET
_http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?News&storyID=2007-11-01T1
44304Z_01_N01419222_RTRIDST_0_MARKETS-FEDOPS-WRAPUP.XML_
(http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?News&storyID=2007-11-01T144304Z_01_N01419222_R
TRIDST_0_MARKETS-FEDOPS-WRAPUP.XML)
NEW YORK, Nov 1 (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Reserve added a total of $41
billion in temporary reserves to the banking system on Thursday, the biggest
single day of such injections since September 2001.
The Fed's infusions may reflect the central bank's efforts to bring the
federal funds rate down nearer to its target just one day after a widely
expected
rate cut.
Fed funds last traded at 4.625 percent on the open market, above the Fed's
target rate of 4.50 percent.
A Fed spokesman would not comment on the total size of the operations, but
did say it was the largest single day of operations since a total of $50.35
billion was injected on Sept. 19, 2001, following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks
on
the World Trade Center.
On Thursday, the central bank conducted $8 billion of 14-day repurchases, $21
billion of seven-day repurchases and $12 billion of overnight repurchase
agreements.
The total on Thursday surpassed the $38 billion the Fed injected on Aug. 10,
which was generally seen as the beginning of a global credit crisis. At the
time, the Fed and the European Central Bank ramped up temporary liquidity
operations with the intent of alleviating strains in short-term lending
markets.
The Fed also injected a total of $38 billion on Sept. 27.

www.ctrl.org