[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> At the risk of being massively flamed, I am compelled by a sense of what I
> can
>  only call spiritual and emotional maturity to propose that the time has
come
>  to repeal the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

This is not the answer.  At issue is the right to defend oneself, and guns
offer that to many people.  People do have an inalienable right to life,
liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Having a weapon, whether it is a gun
or not is necessary in order to insure those right, at least sometimes, and
especially so today.  It is NEVER the instrument that is the culprit, but
ALWAYS the wielder of the instrument.  By themselves guns are no more deadly
than a big stone, but if used they both can kill.  It takes a killer to kill,
or perhaps mind controlled assassins, which most of the people here would
agree is a possibility.  If Johnny goody-two-shoes takes a gun and kills
little Jimmy then Johnny is the problem, NOT the gun.  Yes, guns are the
source of too much reverence, and yes their proliferation is a sad statement
on the nature of today's society, but outlawing them will not solve anything.
 Drugs are illegal, murder is illegal, rape is illegal, assault is illegal,
but they all STILL occur in huge numbers.  Which is just another reason why
guns should NOT be illegal.
Teo1000