-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.newstatesman.co.uk/199905030019.htm

The NS Essay - This country is not so special

Linda Colley demolishes the historical myths about Britain, the
US and Europe

Five years ago, in 1994, Britain had two causes for celebration
and remembrance. One was the 50th anniversary of the D-Day
landings, and we all recall the scale of the commemoration and
the sponsorship it received from monarch, ministers and media
alike. The second cause for celebration was, or should have
been, the opening of the Channel Tunnel, a permanent highway to
Continental Europe. Yet in Britain at least, this was a notably
low-key event. We discussed the safety of the tunnel, the
potential damage to property values in Kent, the effect on our
French holidays, the quality of the train service. It was
treated, in short, as a late 20th-century amenity, not as an
epic event.

How strange, and how sad! The idea of a Channel Tunnel has a
long history: Brunel lobbied for it, Queen Victoria backed it,
Winston Churchill, between the wars, advocated it as a "notable
symbol in the advance of human ci
vilisation". And the tunnel is one of the greatest engineering feats of the 20th
century. Yet in 19
94 we did not feel able properly to celebrate this, thus doing violence both to our
history and to
our present achievement
s. We chose to focus not on our present, not on our future, and not on our long and
complicated his
tory, but on D-Day and our comparatively recent past.

I do not minimise the significance of the second world war or Britain's role in it.
But, as Hugo Yo
ung has suggested, the notion that this was our finest hour has cast something of a
paralysing spel
l, in a way that the au
thor of that phrase would never have wanted. By remembering a certain version of the
war too well,
we tend to neglect and misperceive our longer history, and so miss out on
possibilities for the pre
sent and the future.

Britain is a set of islands on the western periphery of Europe. Nonetheless, as a
major British pol
itician once observed, "our links to . . . the Continent of Europe have been the
dominant factor in
 our history". Who said
 this? Margaret Thatcher in Bruges in 1988. She was right.

For almost four centuries, much of what is now Britain was governed from Rome. From
1066 to the 16t
h century, kings of England were also kings of parts of France. At the end of the 17th
century, we
were ruled by a Dutch m
onarch. From 1714 to 1837, German kings ruled over us in tandem with their home state
of Hanover. T
he impact of all this went far beyond politics into the very texture of our society.
The Romans and
 the Norman French cont
ributed to the vocabulary we still use today. Dutch expertise helped to construct the
City and the
stock exchange. Until recently, the British royal family was overwhelmingly German in
blood and oft
en in preferred languag
e as well.

But surely, you might say, the determining factor in Britain's history is that it is
an island, cut
 off from the Continent by the sea. On some occasions, this was indeed so; for certain
minds, it is
 always so. But the sea
 is a highway as well as a barrier. Before the railways, transport by water was much
faster than tr
ansport by land. The most important impact of the sea on parts of Britain was not that
it cut them
off from the rest of Eu
rope, but rather that it allowed regular and substantial contacts with it. Just think
of the close
maritime, trading and cultural links between the Orkneys and Shetlands on the one hand
and Scandina
via on the other, or be
tween East Anglia and the Dutch. Even now, Norwich has no direct air link with London,
but it has o
ne with Amsterdam.

Historically, it makes little sense to generalise about "Britain" and "Europe" as
though they are o
r ever were monoliths. Over the centuries, different parts of what is now Britain had
different rel
ations with different p
arts of the rest of Europe - and different relations with each other, too. Wales was
only incorpora
ted and given representation at Westminster in the 16th century. Scotland had its own
parliament be
fore 1707, which it reg
ains in 1999. The Irish had their own Dublin parliament until 1800. Without detracting
from the imp
ortance of the Westminster parliament, then, it is simply not the case that it
represents a thousan
d years of exceptional
British constitutional development. For parts of Britain, Westminster's centrality is
a more recent
 phenomenon. Viewed this way, devolution is less an innovation than an overdue
recognition of diffe
rences within these isl
ands that have always existed.

What of war and empire? These indisputably helped to knit the different parts of
Britain together.
But did they also drive it apart from Continental Europe? As with the sea, it depends
how you choos
e to look at it. Mariti
me empire was something the British had in common with many other European states: at
various times
, the Portuguese, the Dutch, the Danes, the Belgians, the French and above all the
Spanish, whose A
merican empire lasted l
onger than Britain's did. Imperialism was not something that distinguished the British
from other E
uropean powers. What was distinctive about Britain's empire (for a century or so) was
its sheer siz
e.

But Britain was never free to choose a global rather than a European role. In the past
three centur
ies, there has only been one major war in which the British have fought without
significant Contine
ntal European allies; o
nly one major war in which the bulk of the Royal Navy ventured outside European
waters; only one ma
jor war in which the British were defeated. In all three cases, the war was the one
with the Americ
an colonies. From that
conspicuous defeat, the obvious and correct moral was drawn. Britain, even at its most
powerful, co
uld not attempt a global role without first consolidating its position in Europe. It
had first and
foremost to be a Europe
an power, because otherwise it could not be powerful anywhere else.

None of this is intended to discount or deny our distinctiveness. But our
particularities are no bi
gger, no more momentous and no more deep-rooted than those of our European neighbours.
Is Britain m
ore different from Spai
n, another composite state and one-time empire, than Spain is from, say, Denmark? Why
should it be
supposed that Britain's particularities point it away from the rest of Europe, when
Denmark's and S
pain's can (with some e
ffort) flourish within it? And why anyway should difference in itself, whether within
Britain or wi
thin Europe as a whole, necessarily dictate separation? Why should it be supposed that
a constantly
 renegotiated and strug
gled-over union, whether it be the British Union or the European Union, should require
homogeneity
among its participants?

There is no sound historical case, as we have seen, for arguing that Britain has
evolved invariably
 in isolation from, or at odds with, the rest of Europe. Yet it would be foolish to
deny that Euros
cepticism, even Europho
bia, has a long pedigree in these islands, on the left as much as on the right.
Sometimes, it has t
aken the form of a suspicion of what William Cobbett called "Continental
entanglements", a fear tha
t European involvement
can only result in expensive wars. Very often, in the 18th and 19th centuries, it took
the form of
a belief that our constitution was uniquely free, and that the Continent was a pit of
despotism by
comparison. And sometim
es it has been mere isolationism. As Winston Churchill said of Stanley Baldwin: "He
knew little of
Europe, and disliked what he knew."

For the most part, these early Eurosceptics were unsuccessful. As Cobbett frequently
complained, ho
wever much people like him railed against Continental entanglements, the British
remained persisten
tly entangled. Geograph
y and self-interest gave them little choice. And even those politicians who boasted
most chauvinist
ically about the peculiar glories of Britain were often cosmopolitan in practice,
because once agai
n they had little choic
e. Lord Palmerston, that quintessential Victorian prime minister, was called "the most
English mini
ster"; but he spoke several European languages, was fully at home in the great
European capitals an
d devoted most of his c
areer to European affairs.

By contrast, postwar Euroscepticism has not always been well informed about the rest
of Europe and
has sometimes appeared shrill and anxious. It has acquired its particular tone from
the second worl
d war and from the mome
nt encapsulated by David Low's famous and genuinely moving cartoon of a British
soldier standing fi
rmly on these islands raising his fist to a Nazi-dominated Continent, and declaring
"Very well, alo
ne!" It is understandab
le that those who fought in the second world war, or lost family and friends in it,
were marked by
it for life. But it is often those too young to have been directly affected by the war
whose vision
 has apparently been ma
de most rigid by an image of it.

To some extent, their views are based on fear, suspicion and jealousy of Germany. They
hold to the
idea that Germany, after its unification in 1870, was characterised by a kind of
original sin that
makes it inevitably the
 hammer of the Continent. But that view is now discredited among reputable historians.
The belief t
hat Britain and Germany are natural antagonists is equally unhistorical. As Paul
Kennedy has shown,
 there is a longer hist
ory of collaboration and mutual understanding. Indeed before 1914, many British
politicians and pun
dits argued that Germany was our natural ally.

Eurosceptic views of Britain's relations with the United States can be equally
selective. Only rece
ntly, Paul Johnson suggested in Forbes magazine that Britain, or at least England,
should actually
become a part of the US
. We can apparently hope to make up at least five states, and possibly even breed an
American presi
dent. I find it strange that people who claim to be worried about our independence
from Brussels ar
e apparently so eager t
o surrender it entirely to a country 3,000 miles away.

I find it even stranger that these same people, whose affection for the United States
I do not doub
t and indeed share (I lived there for 18 years), seem to have such a restricted
knowledge of what s
ort of country it now i
s.

The US is no longer overwhelmingly made up of, or led by, our English-speaking
cousins. I come back
 to my point that Britain was never the only European power with an overseas empire.
The Dutch had
settlements in America.
 So did the French. So, above all, did the Spanish. And the rapid growth of the
Hispanic population
 in the US, as well as its Asian and black populations, is something that many
Britons, I think, st
ill do not fully apprec
iate. As anyone resident in the States will tell you, the Spanish language and culture
are increasi
ngly important there, and not just in states with historic links to the Spanish
empire, such as Tex
as and California. Even
 my own former East Coast base, Connecticut, which was once a British colony, now
issues all its pu
blic notices in Spanish as well as English. For many reasons, 21st-century American
governing elite
s will be much less Eur
opean in background, outlook and style than earlier generations. And many will feel
closer cultural
 and emotional ties with Spain than they do with this country.

This does not necessarily mean the contraction of the close alliance with Britain. But
it does make
 it imperative that we approach the alliance in a hard-headed, observant and flexible
fashion. We s
hould be wary of puttin
g all our eggs in one transatlantic basket. It is sometimes suggested that Britain's
historic links
 with the US, plus our receptiveness to American popular culture, mark us out from the
rest of Euro
pe, that we occupy a sp
ecial mid-way position between the States and the Continent. These claims rest more on
wishful thin
king than on solid evidence.

The Atlantic is over 3,000 miles wide; the Channel at its narrowest point is just 21
miles wide. In
 many respects Britain is not like America at all: in its National Health Service and
many of its a
ssumptions about welfar
e, in its attitude to capital punishment and gun control, in its treatment of the
environment, in t
he sports it plays most and in many other ways, Britain resembles its European
partners far more th
an it does the American
s.

True, Britain also has features in common with the US, particularly in law and
politics. And we are
 drenched in American popular culture. But this does not distinguish us from other
parts of Europe
as much as some imagine
. I have already mentioned Spain's close and dynamic links with the modern US, but I
could equally
well have cited the important links between France and America. It was, after all,
France that enab
led the Americans to wi
n their independence from Britain in the first place. It was France that helped to
design Washingto
n, and France that gave New York the Statue of Liberty. America and France are sister
republics, th
eir histories and polit
ics inevitably intertwined because the revolutions that created them came so close
together.

And France, like virtually every other western European state, is as fond of American
popular cultu
re as Britain is. Jacques Delors himself loves US jazz, US films, US baseball. He even
works with a
 poster of Citizen Kane
 behind his desk. None of this, to put it mildly, prevents him from being European.

Other European countries besides Britain have their special relationships with the US
- all of them
 different. These do not prevent them from also seeing themselves as European, any
more than being
European prevents them
from also being assertive nation states. Britain needs to develop a similar confident
political amb
idexterity. We are not mid-Atlantic. But why shouldn't we look positively and
creatively across the
 Atlantic from a secure
 position within Europe?

Because, some would argue, Britain, like America, holds fast to certain democratic
values and pract
ices that cannot flourish within the European Union. Our constitutional values,
according to this v
iew, naturally make us
far more comfortable in an American alliance than in "Europe", which has different
political tradit
ions. I accept that the Westminster parliament has a distinctive and distinguished
history, a point
 frequently acknowledge
d by Continental Europeans from Voltaire to Delors. I accept, too, that, as recent
events have made
 all too clear, the European Commission and the European Parliament need reform,
greater transparen
cy, and a more secure b
asis in popular consent. What I dispute is the vulgar notion that informs a great deal
of media com
ment and even parliamentary debate, that our Continental brethren are somehow
inherently less democ
ratic than we are ourse
lves.

Again, a selective memory of the second world war, and of Nazi tyranny, has clouded
our judgement.
Historically, it is simply not the case that Britain has invariably been more
democratic than the C
ontinent. Quite the rev
erse. It is estimated that, in 1914, only 18 per cent of adults in the UK were
enfranchised. Most o
f the men and all of the women who struggled for our freedom in the first world war
had themselves
no freedom to vote. Thi
s was not only unimpressive in itself, it was unimpressive by European standards. In
1914, Switzerl
and, Sweden, Serbia, Norway, Italy, Greece, Germany, France, Finland, Bulgaria,
Belgium and Austria
 all had wider franchis
es than Britain did. Indeed the only European state which was even less democratic
than Britain in
1914 was Hungary.

The significance of this goes beyond the historical: it has implications for politics
now. Traditio
nally, Britain has been precocious in evolving stable and effective representative
institutions. It
 has also been strident
 in celebrating its free constitution. But its record in extending citizen rights is
not so impress
ive. It may be the case, as Delors generously remarked, that the British "have the
best journalisti
c debate, the best parl
iamentary committees, the best quizzing of prime ministers". In these respects, we
have much to con
tribute towards Europe's better governance. But in safeguarding citizen rights and in
broadening de
mocracy at every level,
 we may have a lot to learn from other European states.

I repeat: Europe is not and never has been a monolith against which Britain can
plausibly or useful
ly be contrasted. Acknowledging this, and all that it implies, is not just essential
if we are to e
ngage positively and cl
ear-headedly with the rest of Europe, it is also indispensable if we are to renovate
Britain succes
sfully. As Timothy Garton Ash has pointed out, much of the so- called European debate
has in fact b
een a debate about Brit
ain itself. But I am optimistic that the current changes in
Britain's governance, far from leading to break-up, will help
us.

Whoever wins next Thursday's elections in Wales and Scotland, it
seems clear that the new Scottish Parliament, like the new Welsh
Assembly, will support a more pro-active role within Europe. In
the past, the so-called peripheries of these islands played a
major part in forging Britain. So, now, Wales and Scotland may
play leading parts in encouraging their English neighbours to
come to terms with Britain as part of Europe. Just as our long
paralysis over "Europe" derived in part from uncertainty over
Britain itself, so these fresh solutions to our own internal
diversity may create a new confidence in our dealings with our
Continental partners.

I believe that a renovated Britain can contribute a great deal
to a new Europe and get a great deal back in return. And to
understand the ultimate rationale for an effective and renovated
European Union, you only have to look at Yugoslavia now and then
look back again to our long past. Precisely 120 years ago,
William Gladstone described what he saw as being Britain's
abiding interest: to "strive to cultivate and maintain . . . to
the very utmost, what is called the concert of Europe; to keep
the powers of Europe in union together. And why? Because by
keeping all in union together you neutralise and fetter and bind
up the selfish aims of each."

The writer is professor of history at the European Institute,
London School of Economics.
This article is based on a lecture at a recent conference on
"new Britain", organised by the Smith Institute with the "New
Statesman" and the LSE

<<First, they have to change the name of the language to
"American" -- a simple recognition of a dmeographic imperative
{we got four times as many people}.  This is what we ought to do
over here anyway.  The subject of the following article ought to
know.  A<>E<>R >>

From
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/magazines/tnr/current/aaron052499.h
tml

MAY 24, 1999 ISSUE
THE HERO MYTH

Hello to All That
by Daniel Aaron

Harold Evans, English-born journalist, editor, publisher, and
self-described "immigrant" to the United States, is one of along
line of trans-Atlantic commentators who have been looking at
Americans (often down their noses) for several hundred years. In
1956, Evans came to the States on a travel grant that allowed
him to criss-cross the country and to watch a nation, including
its black and Native American minorities, during an election
year. Some time later he became an American citizen, fascinated
"with the idea of America and its unceasing struggle to achieve
its ends." Such a statement hints of Manifest Destiny and
National Mission; but the extraordinary burgeoning of the United
States, as Evans tells it, had less to do with divine
condescension than with a conjunction of happy accidents,
historical and physiographical. The majority of Americans, he
thinks, adhered to the gospel of "freedom" and "democracy" even
when they did not practice it. What they "honored" were "the
expectations of prosperity."

The American Century might be said to be a triumphalist reading
of the country's "second century." If so, it does not scant the
testimony of the defeated, the scorned, and the oppressed, or
predict clear sailing for the Ship of State. Evans's Americans
are ingenious, brave, flexible, and pragmatic; they are also
avaricious, hubristic, and full of "just plain chutzpah." The
"saving grace" of American society is its stubborn faith in the
future, its restlessness, and its "organic optimism" that never
"quite" congeals into complacency.

Not a "history," not a conventional chronicle or a disinterested
random survey, and not at all a textbook, The AmericanCentury is
first and foremost an illustrated political essay, a set of
tableaux or choreographed historical episodes designed to
introduce "new Americans" (and presumably old ones) to the years
when the United States exfoliated into an international power.
It is also a decade-by-decade account of selected events and
people--not just the names enshrined in our national annals, but
also those of the now near-anonymous men and women long
dissolved into our culture and institutions. Finally, it is a
story written without hokum or bias by a "new" American of his
adopted country's political development from the end of the
Civil War until it had become "the-most-powerful-country-in-the-
world."

The "plot" of Evans's narrative might be boiled down to
something like this. America's second century opens with the
last great land rush, a stampede into the Indian Territory and
the finale of a "perpetual land boom" that was in process for
the preceding sixty years. (Evans calls it a "typical American
triumph, fired by relentless optimism and self-righteousness,
and sustained by an infinite talent for gadgetry.") God's
clients--the Carnegies, the Rockefellers, the Morgans, and so on-
-had begun to harness America's industrial and financial energy,
and by 1896 they had crushed the last serious agrarian revolt.
In the course of its stumbling but irresistible momentum, the
nation almost inadvertently acquires an empire. New immigrants,
now largely from southern and eastern Europe, fuel the factories
and plants and in the process transform urban politics. It is
the age of the "Boss."

"Class war" heats up as the industrial machine roars and
sputters through financial crises and depressions, through two
hot world wars and a long cold one, and through an unending
spate of social convulsions. Although distracted by its
political scandals and imperialistic adventures, by Vietnam and
Watergate and the rest, by its racial phobias and its ubiquitous
Yahoos, the nation is strong and resilient enough to survive its
blunders. At the end of its first 200 years, although not cocky
or unaware of its vulnerabilities, it takes its freedom and its
prosperity pretty much for granted.

In fifteen chapters, Evans has chronologically spanned the
century and arranged his cast of characters who made and rode
the historical waves. Each chapter is introduced by a ruminative
essay on a prescribed topic. Collectively, these essays are a
digest of the narrator's guided reading (replete with quotable
remarks, substantive and decorative, by scholars and public
intellectuals on his wavelength) and his views on the "enduring
themes" in American political and social history. Like Arthur
Schlesinger Jr., one of his respected sources, Evans is more
comfortable in the "vital center" than on the wild ideological
frontiers--and, one suspects, more averse to hard-core right-
wingers than to political antinomians and cloud-cuckoos. Yet he
wears no political badge and rarely tips his hand. Sometimes it
is hard to tell why he allots more space to one subject or
person than to another, why (to give one example) the "American
Mussolini," Al Capone, should bulk larger in his history than
the politically potent "Radio Priest," Father Charles Coughlin,
even
though Capone was the more photogenic and the more legendary of
the two.

Still, Evans's vignettes of nineteen presidents fit neatly into
the structure of the narrative and are deftly done. Popping up
like signposts on the American Century highway, they stretch
from the relatively obscure Benjamin Harrison
("underappreciated," Evans says) to George Bush. Bill Clinton is
waiting in the wings when the curtain drops. None of them
escapes at least a soupcon of censure, and none is invidiously
contrasted with a predecessor or a successor.

Evans can be trenchant and flip. Theodore Roosevelt "talked
loudly, but he carried a small stick." Wilson "could not bear
friends who took a different view on the big issues. They were
judged morally corrupt." "It was a frail presumption that while
Coolidge dozed, the invisible hand of the marketplace was
sorting everything out." Hoover "seemed incurably suspicious
that if his fellow countrymen were given a helping hand they
would turn into sloths." "It was bewilderingly his [Franklin
Delano Roosevelt's] style to take a step forward and a brisk
step back." Truman "had the good will but not the imagination,
and the odious Stalin had neither." "As well as the smile, there
was a profane vocabulary and a volcanic temper that Ike himself
feared." Kennedy "had no intention of letting marriage curb his
compulsive womanizing." "But Johnson's style, bred in smoky
caucuses, was to obtain a consensus from a tightly knit group of
power brokers, and then to sell the public the most palatable
version." "It was always Halloween in the Nixon White House.
They were continually spooked by leaks." Ford was "dogged by a
press image as a klutz who stumbled on staircases and ski
slopes." "Under Reagan the normal creative tension of democratic
politics often seemed like a set of parallel lines doomed never
to meet, wandering out into cognitive dissonance." It says
something about Evans that while observing the 1956 election
from Adlai Stevenson's bandwagon, he should find himself
"unaccountably" cheering for Ike, and that for him the only
titans in his presidential procession are the two Roosevelts,
with Teddy clearly his favorite.

The most remarkable feature of The American Century is the
artful synchronization of its written text (historical
commentary, biographical essays, captions, boxed inserts) with
its visual text--a composite of cartoons, maps, drawings, and
photographs (particularly the last) that complements the former
like a musical score. Pictures of regional scenes and historical
episodes, of politicians, judges, farmers, businessmen,
gangsters, churchmen, soldiers, reformers, labor leaders,
evangelists, policemen, and radicals punctuate the narrative
flow. Quite a few must have been chosen because they shock, or
are comically incongruous, or make strong political statements,
or intangibly illuminate an occasion.

Here is William Jennings Bryan on a lecture platform in 1896--at
35, he is not quite the "boy orator" but still theatrically
handsome and charismatic. In 1913, a high-steel man balances
himself sixty stories up on a narrow beam of the unfinished
Woolworth Building, symbol of America's sky-assaulting temper.
Five Roman Catholic clergymen, tough and confident soldiers of
the Church Militant, stand (circa 1913) on the steps of St.
Patrick's Cathedral, New York City, reviewing a parade. Two
black men hang from a tree in Marian, Indiana in 1930, as a not-
unpleased crowd of men and women, young and old, mingle
decorously below the swinging corpses. Twenty-three-year-old
Ronald Reagan, modeling for a University of Southern California
art class, stands in shorts improbably poised to throw a forward
pass. A dowager in furs, right out of a Peter Arno cartoon,
glares at John L. Lewis as he walks past her, regal and aloof,
in 1949. Dean Acheson, his face twisted with anger and
embarrassment, is trapped in an elevator with his grinning
nemesis, Senator Joseph McCarthy (circa 1954). The killers of
Emmett Till (1955) smile complacently after their predictable
acquittal. Betty Friedan (1963) dusts a bust of Abraham Lincoln
("my oldest hero"). In a Miami restaurant, Muhammad Ali, recent
victor over Sonny Liston, looks impishly up at Malcolm X, who is
snapping a picture of him (1964). President Johnson looms like
an impending avalanche over a recoiling Abe Fortas (circa 1964).
A grubby Billy Carter, the president's brother, drinks a can of
beer in his grubby gas station (circa 1977).

Evans chose these and other photographs from the thousands
gathered over twelve years by his "infinitely resourceful"
collaborator and photography specialist, Gail Buckland. They
concur, she writes in her acknowledgment to the regiment of
archivists and curators who supplied her with materials, that
"photography is not only a dynamic means of visual education but
also a vital source in comprehending history," and that their
book is a "marriage of texts and photographs, each having equal
weight and power."

Words and images do interact synergistically in The American
Century, and the photographs are more than merely documentary.
They can be the equivalents of bitter editorials, as in Lewis
Hines's astonishing study of the faces of four child-workers
employed by the Pennsylvania coal company in 1911. They catch
prominent people without their masks, sneak in sly social
observations, make people ridiculous, tell jokes, blow life into
the dead. (Scattered through the twenty-two-page bibliography
are candid snaps of presidents from Taft to Clinton tossing out
or catching baseballs, the easy motions of Eisenhower, Ford, and
Johnson in contrast to the prim and awkward deliveries of
Coolidge and Nixon.) Photographs of this kind, technically good
or bad, can gloss and vivify a text, but they are just as
slippery and prone to manipulation as words, and no less
susceptible to willful distortion.

The size and the heft of The American Century, and its lavish
pictorial display, might suggest that it was designed for coffee
tables. In fact, it is the work of a very knowledgeable
journalist and a very good writer who has studied the land,
consulted a gamut of advisers, read a lot of books, and then
drawn his own chart of America's "ebbs and flows" during its
second century. He calls this distillation of selected
personalities and events a "history for browsers," and he
invites them to dip into or break out of the narrative at any
point in his many hundreds of pages. It might also be described
as an essayistic chronicle of American society and politics
written with a few rhetorical flourishes, and as a brief for the
author's adopted country. Evans is a fair-minded if not a
completely impartial historian. Far from glossing over
discreditable moments in the nation's history--in Emerson's
phrase, its "mumps and whooping coughs"--he makes them sound as
American as apple pie. The kaleidoscopic society that he
scrutinizes is open and hedged, philanthropic and materialistic,
peaceful and violent.

Evans neither dwells upon nor reconciles these contradictions,
if such they be, any more than he tries to rub off the spots on
the national escutcheon. He writes of endemic jingoism and
"racism," of the crimes against Native Americans and black
Americans, of the "pillaging" of the public domain, of creeping
urban decay and the deterioration of the school system, and of
the ever-widening gap between rich and poor. Yet running
parallel to these blights are mini-stories about men and women,
many of them obscure and forgotten, whose civic heroism is
redemptive, and who must be reassessed, he writes, if we are to
understand "how we have shaped our history." The American
Century begins and ends with a sonorous affirmation: the country
that "sustained western civilization by acts of courage,
generosity, and vision unparalleled in the history of man" will
endure "while freedom lives."

All the same, there is a whiff of the jeremiad in Evans's
sermonical conclusion. Indeed, the last five chapters of his
history (they cover the cold war, the civil rights movement,
Vietnam, Watergate, and the "Reagan revolution") show the
republic in its worst moments and its finest moments. His doubts
and his reservations are not explicitly conveyed, for he has no
ax to grind; but throughout the narrative--in sum, the story of
shifting political groups together with the lives of individual
figures who collectively incarnate his "America"--he has been
admonishing and passing judgment sotto voce.

By the time he takes up the administrations of Nixon and Reagan,
Evans's writing has acquired a vibrancy and an edge less
discernible in his account of their predecessors, who by
comparison appear through a historical haze. Here his subjects
are people and topics that he has not merely read about, and he
is boldly injecting himself into the telling. His talents
coalesce in his ambivalent impressions of the outwardly simple
yet very elusive Reagan--over-estimated and underestimated,
brave and cheerful, politically canny, mentally slipshod--and
his "brittle" wife. (Brittle?)

Anyone who reads through this thick encapsulation of a hundred
years cannot but come away with a fresh perspective on the
United States, and not simply those for whom ancient history
begins about five years ago. At moments the book gives the
impression of having been concocted and cobbled. Evans has not
always digested the plethora of facts that his researchers have
dug up for him, and sometimes he betrays his haste. No matter.
His book is full of not easily obtainable information, and the
writing throughout is spirited, uncluttered, and concise. The
literate young will like its breezy colloquial tone and its
untextbookish improprieties, and it will stimulate and provoke
the historical-minded who have lived through a good chunk of his
"American century," as it has stimulated and provoked me.

Daniel Aaron is emeritus professor of English at Harvard
University.

(Copyright 1999, The New Republic)

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.