-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/006250214X/qid%3D927352586/002-3461835-
2263828

<A
HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/006250214X/qid%3D927352586/002-34
61835-2263828">Amazon.com: A Glance: Ritual Abuse : What It Is
</A>
-----

Ritual Abuse : What It Is, Why It Happens, and How to Help
by Margaret Smith

ASIN: 006250214X
Availability: This title is out of print.

Synopsis
Ritual abuse, perpetrated by secretive cults within groups as diverse as
Christian sects, Satanic worshipers, and even day-care providers, often
involves the drugging, torture, rape, and exposure of children to animal
or human sacrifice. Smith's courageous work offers clear insights and
hard facts about this most underestimated form of child abuse.

>From the author, Margaret Smith , May 3, 1998
additional resources
Even though this book is no longer in print, I consider it to have been
a success. In its lifetime, this book sold several thousand copies (in
the 5 digits) and was translated into German. I have heard that copies
may still be available through used bookstores or other hard-to-find
book resources. Please feel free to also visit the following web-site
for an on-line copy of my second book "It's Love and Unity I Want".
www2.netcom.com/~comfort

- Margaret

Customer Comments
 Number of Reviews: 2

[EMAIL PROTECTED] from White Plains, New York , April 2, 1998
A very honest and hard look at the affects of ritual abuse.
Unfortunatly this book told me about me. I hope people will read it and
try to help the innocent victims of this terrible crime. I admire
Margaret Smith's courage and strength to write this book in order to
educate and help people know and understand, and that there is hope for
survival.

A reader from Michigan , January 21, 1998
A hard read, but one that is imbued with hopefulness.
Of the books currently available on ritual abuse, Margaret Smith's is
the clearest and cleanest. She shares information in a factual way
without glossing over the experiences of survivors. This is a hard read,
but one that is imbued with hopefulness, and belief in survivability.
Anyone who seeks to understand the nature of good and evil should read
this book, and work honestly with the reactions that will unavoidably
come up.
-----
an excerpt from:
Ritual Abuse
Margaret Smith©1993
HarperCollins Publishers
10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022
ISBN 0-06-250214-X
213pps
-----
Preface

If there is even a small chance that one ritual abuse claim is true, we owe
it to all potential victims to explore the problem of ritual abuse in greater
depth.

Why immediately discount those who say they were ritually abused when history
reveals that religious and political obsession often leads to violence?
Innocent women, children, and men were tortured during the Inquisition
because of religious obsession. Adolf Hitler, in the name of political
obsession, turned a whole country into a murdering nation by killing innocent
Jews and other minority groups. Recently, near Waco, Texas, we once again saw
how the obsessive spiritual beliefs of a group, led by David Koresh who said
he was the second coming of Christ, led to violence. Ritual abuse survivors
say they were violently abused in religious rituals by groups that were using
them as magical tools or that were trying to indoctrinate them into the
belief system of the group. They say the groups are extremely violent and
secretive, and hence do not live in communal settings, as was the case in
Waco, Texas. Are claims of ritual abuse really that bizarre after we reflect
upon the historical acts of groups that were obsessed with religion and
politics?

There is some truth to the claim that a few advocates for ritual abuse
survivors have irresponsibly approached the topic of ritual abuse.
Nevertheless, it is hasty to discount all accusations of ritual abuse merely
because some advocates do not appear credible. It is not beyond the realm of
possibilities that there are dangerous religious cults in our communities.

Four states have now passed laws specifically prohibiting ritual child abuse.
A number of studies have been conducted that illustrate the marked
similarities in abuse allegations of adult and child ritual abuse survivors.
Convictions have been obtained in over ten court cases in which the children
made allegations of ritual abuse. We need to know more about the problem. We
need to know who the groups are and what are the belief systems of the people
ritually abusing children. We need to know how prevalent the problem is. We
need to know how to protect the children and how to help the adults heal. We
need legislation to protect the victims. We need you to care.

As you read this book, you may find that some ritual abuse allegations are
more difficult to believe than others. All we ask is that you believe what
you can. If legislation is passed specifically prohibiting this type of
criminal activity-and if our law enforcement officials are encouraged to
investigate such cases-the activities of such groups will be revealed to the
public.

Chapter 1

What Is Ritual Abuse?

Betrayal is too kind a word to describe a situation in which a father says he
loves his daughter but claims he must teach her about the horrors of the
world in order to make her a stronger person; a situation in which he watches
or participates in rituals that make her feel like she is going to die. She
experiences pain that is so intense that she cannot think; her head spins so
fast she can't remember who she is or how she got there.

All she knows is pain. All she feels is desperation. She tries to cry out for
help, but soon learns that no one will listen. No matter how loud she cries,
she can't stop or change what is happening. No matter what she does, the pain
will not stop. Her father orders her to be tortured and tells her it is for
her own good. He tells her that she needs the discipline, or that she has
asked for it by her misbehavior Betrayal is too simple a word to describe the
overwhelming pain, the overwhelming loneliness and isolation this child
experiences.

As if the abuse during the rituals were not enough, this child experiences
similar abuse at home on a daily basis. When she tries to talk about her
pain, she is told that she must be crazy. "Nothing bad has happened to you;'
her family tells her Each day she begins to feel more and more like she
doesn't know what is real. She stops trusting her own feelings because no one
else acknowledges them or hears her agony. Soon the pain becomes too great.
She learns not to feel at all. This strong, lonely, desperate child learns to
give up the senses that make all people feel alive. She begins to feel dead.
She wishes she were dead. For her there is no way out. She soon learns there
is no hope.

    As she grows older she gets stronger She learns to do what she is told
with the utmost compliance. She forgets everything she has ever wanted. The
pain still lurks, but it's easier to pretend it's not there than to
acknowledge the horrors she has buried in the deepest parts of her mind. Her
relationships are overwhelmed by the power of her emotions. She reaches out
for help, but never seems to find what she is looking for The pain gets
worse. The loneliness sets in. When the feelings return, she is overcome with
panic, pain, and desperation.

She is convinced she is going to die. Yet, when she looks around her she sees
nothing that should make her feel so bad. Deep inside she knows something is
very, very wrong, but she doesn't remember anything. She thinks, "Maybe I am
crazy."

The State of Illinois
Public Act #87-1167
Effective January 1, 1993

Be It Enacted by the Legislature of the State of Illinois:

RITUALIZED ABUSE OF A CHILD—EXCLUSIONS—PENALTIES—DEFINITION.

(a)     A person is guilty of a felony when he commits any of the fol-lowing
acts with, upon, or in the presence of a child as part of a ceremony, rite,
or similar observance.

(1)     actually or in simulation, tortures, mutilates or sacrifices any
warm-blooded animal or human being;

(2)     forces ingestion, injection or other application of any narcotic
drug, hallucinogen or anaesthetic for the purpose of dulling sensitivity,
cognition, recollection of, or resistance to any criminal activity;

(3)     forces ingestion or external application of human or animal urine,
feces, flesh, blood, bones, body secretions, nonprescribed drugs or chemical
compounds;

(4)     involves the child in a mock, unauthorized or unlawful marriage
ceremony with another person or representation of any force or deity,
followed by sexual contact with the child;

(5)     places a living child into a coffin or open grave containing a human
corpse or remains;

(6)     threatens death or serious harm to a child, his or her parents,
family, pets, or friends which instills a well-founded fear in the child that
the threat will be carried out; or

(7)     unlawfully dissects, mutilates or incinerates a human corpse.

A cult is a group of people who share an obsessive devotion to a person or
idea. The cults described in this book use violent tactics to recruit,
indoctrinate, and keep members. Ritual abuse is defined as the emotionally,
physically, and sexually abusive acts performed by violent cults. Most
violent cults do not openly express their beliefs and practices, and they
tend to live separately in noncommunal environments to avoid detection.

Some victims of ritual abuse are children abused outside the home by
nonfamily members, in public settings such as day care. Other victims are
children and teenagers who are forced by their parents to witness and
participate in violent rituals. Adult ritual abuse victims often include
these grown children who were forced from childhood to be a member of the
group. Other adult and teenage victims are people who unknowingly joined
social groups or organizations that slowly manipulated and blackmailed them
into becoming permanent members of the group. All cases of ritual abuse, no
matter what the age of the victim, involve intense physical and emotional
trauma.

Violent cults may sacrifice humans and animals as part of religious rituals.
They use torture to silence victims and other unwilling participants. Ritual
abuse victims say they are degraded and humiliated and are often forced to
torture, kill, and sexually violate other helpless victims. The purpose of
the ritual abuse is usually indoctrination. The cults intend to destroy these
victims' free will by undermining their sense of safety in the world and by
forcing them to hurt others.

In the last ten years, a number of people have been convicted on sexual abuse
charges in cases where the abused children had reported elements of ritual
child abuse. These children described being raped by groups of adults who
wore costumes or masks and said they were forced to witness religious-type
rituals in which animals and humans were tortured or killed. In one case, the
defense introduced in court photographs of the children being abused by the
defendants[1] In another case, the police found tunnels etched with crosses
and pentacles along with stone altars and candles in a cemetery where abuse
had been reported. The defendants in this case pleaded guilty to charges of
incest, cruelty, and indecent assault[2] Ritual abuse allegations have been
made in England, the United States, and Canada.[3]

Many myths abound concerning the parents and children who report ritual
abuse. Some people suggest that the tales of ritual abuse are "mass
hysteria." They say the parents of these children who report ritual abuse are
often overly zealous Christians on a "witch-hunt" to persecute satanists.
These skeptics say the parents are fearful of satanism, and they use their
knowledge of the Black Mass (a historically well-known, sexualized ritual in
which animals and humans are sacrificed) to brainwash their children into
saying they were abused by satanists.[4] In 1992 I conducted a study to
separate fact from fiction in regard to the disclosures of children who
report ritual abuse.[5] The study was conducted through Believe the Children,
a national organization that provides support and educational sources for
ritual abuse survivors and their families.

The first question in the study asked parents whether they were fearful of
satanism prior to their child's disclosure of the ritual abuse. The results
indicated that only two of the eleven parents were fearful of satanism. Eight
of the parents reported they knew nothing about the elements of a Black Mass
before their child first told them about the ritual abuse. The parents who
are accused of being overly zealous Christians on a modern-day witch-hunt
express frustration, as exemplified by one mother in the study.

Parents don't want to believe this would happen to their child. When my
daughter said the janitor had touched her vagina, I suggested maybe it was
her tummy instead. I didn't want to believe any of it. But I couldn't  shut
out what she was saying. The public needs to know that going through the
disclosure process is excruciating for the child and the parents. There were
occasions when I vomited after hearing disclosures, many nights I didn't
sleep at all, and countless tears were shed. It would have been much easier
not to believe it—she would have been forced to repress the trauma and would
have had to deal with the overwhelming guilt I felt, the fear of retaliation,
the outrage, and grief of having lost the relationship I thought I had with
my child. She lost her innocence and her right to a normal childhood, and I
lost my faith in the world and in our legal system.

She blamed me for sending her to the preschool where she was abused. I had to
absorb her anger, pain-all her overwhelming feelings-without taking it
personally. A hard thing to do when you want your child's love so much. We
have repaired that bond that was frayed by the abuse, but there are scars
that will never go away. Why would any parent want to put themselves-and
their child-on such an emotional roller coaster? What have the children or
parents gained from making ritual abuse allegations? We have been ridiculed,
ostracized, and abandoned. I think of the old adage, "Kids lie to get out of
trouble, not to get in trouble." Making allegations of ritual abuse gets you
in big trouble! Why would anyone-child, parent, or survivor-lie about
something so objectionable and unacceptable by most members of society?

The children not only describe seeing a human or animal killed, but having to
participate in the killing. By disclosing they are incriminating
themselves-getting themselves in trouble-at least, that is their perception
of what will happen. They have no motive to do that unless they are telling
the truth.

Another mother in the study said her six-year-old child never verbally
disclosed the ritual abuse, but the behavior of her child made her speculate
the child was abused in a systematic, violent fashion. She knew nothing about
the Black Mass before her child started acting out the ritual abuse.

She began drawing pictures of witches, people with knives, pictures with the
bones exposed in the throat area.

She also would get into trance-like states, and at one point pulled a knife
on her brother. On another occasion, she had placed a butcher knife at her
throat and was lovingly caressing the blade of the knife. Two days later she
pointed a pair of scissors at her chest and asked where her heart was.

She consistently, for two-and-a-half years (from age four), has bound and
gagged just about every stuffed animal and Barbie doll she owns. Her drawings
also include bondage.

All eight of the children in this study who told their parents about the
ritual abuse-as opposed to only acting out the abusewere under the age of
five. One grandmother in the study noted in detail what her grandson, age
three, and granddaughter, age two, told her the first time they mentioned the
ritual abuse.

To me, his grandmother, [the boy said,] "Mommy cut my penis with her teeth.
There was a lot of blood, here," he said, indicating his lower abdomen. We
had observed a couple of months prior, a cut on his penis after a visit with
his mother. It had since healed. At that point it would never have occurred
to us that she would have done it. We assumed he had accidentally injured
himself. My granddaughter [said]:

"Sally [her mother] pooped on me."

The grandmother was asked in the questionnaire how she knew the two children
were telling the truth. She said,

The fear, the tone of voice, the clinging, the shame. Also, I know them. I
know the perpetrator. There was a sense of intense gratitude from the
children that I believed them.

After the children told her about the abuse, the grandmother made a number of
phone calls to find a therapist for them. Both children are now in therapy,
talking about their experiences. In the same questionnaire, the childrens
therapist also noted her recollections of the children's first disclosures of
abuse.

First disclosure was regarding Morris abuse—Mom touched chest, vagina, penis,
pooped and peed all over me, put me inside a pillow case, put us in a bathtub
and covered it so we couldn't  get out, tied us up with ropes ...

The therapist also noted why she believed the children.

There was a great deal of intensity of feeling and trauma communicated.
Showed intense fear of retaliation, had flashbacks during sessions and would
become physically and verbally abusive and violent. Would curl up in a fetal
position and become mute. Consistency of report over time.

The therapist provided a list of behaviors exhibited by the two children that
indicated ritual abuse.

Description and artwork delineating a group of individuals wearing different
costumes with different cult "jobs." Fear of being killed by cult.
Flashbacks. Sudden changes in behavior and voice when describing events.
Sexual acting out during sessions. Violent outbursts—i.e., breaking mirrors.
Fear of being confined. Intense separation anxiety. Obsession with confining,
tying up self and others during play. Acting out the administration of drugs
during their play. Setting up ritual scenes repeatedly in the sand tray.
Artwork reflecting ritual acts, lots of blood. Appearing to have multiple
personalities or fragments.

The grandmother reported the crimes to the police, but no charges were filed.
At the end of the questionnaire, the grandmother described her frustration
and rage about her inability to protect the two children from their mother.

It is open season on children under the age of four in this country. They're
not "court-worthy." Public education is a must. Whenever any crime is
committed that is of a satanic or occult/cult nature it should at least be
public knowledge that the occult or a cult member was involved in the crime
and that, if correct, it was ritualistic. If the media and law enforcement
have to pussy-foot around the term "satanic" fine. But "ritualistic" or
"cult-like," "cult-style," "occult overtones"? Why not? it would go a long
way in educating the public. And if something was overtly done in the name of
Satan or in an act of worship to Satan, if that was the intent of the
perpetrator, whether or not it is the official doctrine of the church of
Satan, it should be included in newspaper accounts, and all other media
accounts of the crime. A crime is a crime is a crime!

The practice of ritual abuse is a difficult topic for many people to
confront. The children are tortured and brainwashed in order to assure their
loyalty to the group. The memories of ritual abuse survivors are often so
graphic and perverse that some people question whether any of these stories
could be true. Yet ritual abuse survivors experience overwhelming pain and
trauma-related symptoms as they remember the ritual abuse: They experience
violent flashbacks; their bodies feel the same sensations they felt at the
time they were attacked. This is the same traumatic memory process
experienced by other torture survivors and by war veterans who were
traumatized on the battlefield. Ritual abuse is a real, systematic practice
happening in our country today.

RITUAL ABUSE IN PRESCHOOLS

The main purpose of cults that ritually abuse children is to indoctrinate as
many members as possible. The more people they are able to get involved in
their group, the easier it is for them to justify what they are doing. Often
cults will infiltrate schools, churches, daycare centers-anywhere they can go
in order to recruit new members. The children who are abused in these
settings are usually under the age of five and are unable to protect
themselves from the manipulations of the cults. The cults appear to search
for such victims because they are easier to brainwash.

In the last five years, two studies were conducted comparing the similarities
of reports of ritual abuse in day-care centers. The theory behind the
research is that children from different parts of the country report
remarkable similarities in the details of the ritual abuse. Since the
children have no contact with one another, it is suggested that the similar
stories indicate a widely practiced sexualized ritual that involves animal or
human sacrifices.

In 1987 Believe the Children conducted a study on multivictim,
multiperpetrator child abuse in day-care settings.[6] Parents of victims and
professionals working with victims of abuse were asked to complete a
questionnaire detailing the reports of these abuses.

Ninety-four percent of the respondents noted that the child reported being
sexually abused by a group of adults. Seventy-eight percent of the
respondents noted the child was photographed nude during the abusive acts.
Fifty-nine percent of the respondents said the child described being drugged
during the abuse, and 58 percent reported the child said he or she was forced
to watch the mutilation or killing of animals. Sixty-four percent of the
respondents reported that the child said he or she was silenced by threats
that the child's parents would be killed if the child ever told of the abuse.
Some respondents stated the children described the use of robes (48 percent),
candles (36 percent), and knives (36 percent) during the abuse. See Table 1.1
for a summary of these results.

A second study, conducted by therapist Pamela Hudson, noted the similarities
in the finite details of ritual abuse allegations from nine day-care centers
in five different states.[7] In these cases, either the police or the parents
of the children defined the abuse as ritual child abuse. No standard
definition of ritual abuse exists for parents and professionals.

Believe the Children provided Hudson with the names of parents from each of
the nine day-care centers in which ritual abuse had been reported. The
parents in each of these cases initially contacted Believe the Children to
receive information and referrals that would enable them to help their
children recover from the trauma of this abuse. The parents were interviewed
over the phone regarding the details of what occurred during the ritual abuse.

In all these day-care centers (100 percent), medical examiners found evidence
during examination commensurate with sexual abuse. All the reports (100
percent) said that the children had been filmed or photographed while the
abuse took place. Parents also stated that the children described having been
injected with drugs or poked with needles (100 percent). In nearly all of the
reports (88 percent) from these day-care centers, children said they had been
forced to watch animals being tortured and killed. The parents (100 percent)
stated the abusers had threatened to kill the children's parents, siblings,
or pets if the children ever told. In all the preschools (100 percent),
parents noted that the children had been sexually abused by individuals
wearing masks, robes, and carrying candles. Parents reported that the
children (100 percent) said they had been taken away from the center for
further abuse in churches, graveyards, or other day-care centers. See Table
1.1 for a summary of these results.

The first study mentioned above compared the differences in individual ritual
abuse cases from across the country. The results indicated remarkable
consistency in the details of the ritual abuse. The second study examined the
abuse allegations in day-care centers in which ritual abuse was reported. The
results illustrated that in spite of the vague definition of ritual abuse
available to parents and law enforcement professionals, there are remarkably
detailed similarities in the types of abuse perpetrated against these
children in different environments. Table 1.1 compares similarities in the
results of the two studies.

One limitation of the studies that some people suggest is that these children
and adults were led-by parents, childrens agencies, or prosecutors-to report
abuse that never occurred. It is speculated that the parents, agencies, or
prosecutors were aware of the elements of a Black Mass, and they brainwashed
the children into believing things had happened that never actually occurred.

Some people suggest that parents of children who report ritual abuse are
paranoid or delusional fundamentalist Christians who see satanists.[4 under
every tree. However, as noted in the study I conducted through Believe the
Children, none of the parents who participated in that study identified
themselves as fundamentalist Christians. Many of the parents said they did
not attend church on a regular basis. Again, almost none of the parents were
fearful of satanism prior to their child's disclosure of the ritual abuse.

Table 1.1 Comparison of Allegations of Ritual Child Abuse

        Individual Cases        Day-Care
        (Children)      Centers
Sexually abused by adults               94%     100%
Photographed nude               78%     100%
Drugged during abuse            59%     100%
Mutilation or killing of animals/humans 58%     88%
Silenced by threats of harm to family   64%     100%
Use of robes, candles, and/or knives    48%     100%
during ritual

It is not in the best interests of children's agencies and prosecutors to
brainwash children to report abuse that never occurred. children's agencies
are there to protect children from violence. They have no personal investment
in brainwashing children for their own gain. In fact, it is more difficult to
protect children who report ritual abuse.

Prosecutors base their success on how many cases they are able to win.
Brainwashing children to make ritual abuse allegations diminishes the
prosecutor's chances of winning the case, and hence it is counterproductive.
It is extremely difficult to win a ritual abuse case. in fact, a number of
parents of ritually abused children report that law enforcement professionals
attempt to downplay the ritual elements the child describes. Prosecutors
realize that if they bring the case to trial as "ritual abuse," they will
have a difficult time convincing the jury of the credibility of the child's
testimony. By ignoring the ritual abuse allegations, the prosecutors are able
to maintain a higher conviction ratio, thus furthering their own careers.

ADULT SURVIVORS OF CHILDHOOD
RITUAL ABUSE

The reports of abuse by these children are echoed in another study, which
examines the similarities in abuse histories reported by adult survivors of
childhood ritual abuse. Lynda Driscoll and Cheryl Wright, Ph.D., conducted a
study through the University of Utah in 1991 on the experiences of adult
ritual abuse survivors.[8] The adult survivors of ritual abuse who
volunteered for the study were in therapy for childhood trauma at the time
they participated in the research. Thirty-seven adult survivors of childhood
ritual abuse completed the questionnaire. Thirty-six of the survivors were
female.

Like the children, 89 percent of the adult survivors said they had been
molested by a group of adults, and 57 percent of the survivors said they had
been photographed during the abuse. Seventy-eight percent of the survivors
reported having been drugged during the abuse. Eighty-four percent of the
survivors reported they had been forced to witness or participate in human
sacrifice. Fifty-seven percent of the survivors reported having been told
that their parents or relatives would be killed if they ever told anyone
about the ritual abuse. The adult survivors noted that as children, they had
been abused by a group of individuals wearing robes (95 percent) and masks
(60 percent). Survivors reported having been abused in group members' homes
(64 percent), wooded areas (64 percent), cemeteries (47 percent), churches
(47 percent), and their own homes (43 percent). Table 1.2 presents the
similarities between the adult survivors' memories of ritual abuse and the
results of the two studies described earlier in this chapter on children's
memories of ritual abuse.

Some people suggest that therapists who treat ritual abuse survivors
brainwash their clients into believing they experienced things that never
happened. Others say that survivors are delusional or merely seeking
attention.[9] By labeling someone as "mentally ill" or downright crazy, one
can immediately discount everything the person says. This tactic is
successful in shaming most ritual abuse survivors into silence.

Table 1.2 Comparison of Allegations of Child and
Adult Survivors of Ritual Abuse

                                           Individual   Adults
                                             Cases                Day-Care
in
                                           (Children)             Centers
Therapy

Sexually abused by adults       94%     100%    89%
Photographed nude               78%     100%    57%
Drugged during abuse            59%     100%    78%
Mutilation or killing of
animals/humans          58%     88%     84%
Silenced by threats of harm
to family               64%     100%    57%
Use of robes, candles, and/or
knives during ritual            48%     100%    95%

It is not realistic to suggest that people would identify themselves as
ritual abuse survivors merely because they are bored or want attention. Women
and men who identify themselves as ritual abuse survivors find themselves
blamed for the abuse. They are not believed by therapists, police officers,
clergy, or friends, even though many ritual abuse survivors are respected
members of our communities. They remember the abuse through a traumatic
memory process that includes all the emotional feelings and physical
sensations they experienced during the abuse.

Another common tactic used to discredit survivors and their advocates is to
compare current talk of ritual abuse to the witchhunts of the seventeenth
century. This argument is an emotional plea that taps into society's
justifiable guilt about the injustices committed during the Inquisition and
the Salem witch-hunts, when innocent victims were publicly humiliated and
slaughtered in the name of the Christian God. The witch-hunts were one of the
most inhumane and unjust times in all of history. Consequently, it is
important to understand the very clear distinctions between the witch-hunts
of the past and what we hear about ritual abuse today.

        First, the witch-hunts were primed by the publication of a sin-gle
book, Malleus Maleficarum (The Hammer of the Witches), in 1486. In this book,
the authors, both Christian monks, delineated the characteristics of a
"witch." One example of "normal female witch behavior" in the book describes
how a female witch takes the spirit away from the male sex organ, which
results in male impotence or castration. Punishments of female witches
included bathing in boil-ing water, crushing by heavy weights, tearing the
flesh from the breasts with searing-hot pincers, and torture of the female
sex organs. These punishments are similar to the graphic stories told of
ritual abuse today. However, during the witch-hunts, the punish-ments were
committed in order to restore the Christian God's bless-ing onto the
community.

In Salem, Massachusetts, in the 1690s, five types of evidence were accepted
as proof of witch behavior. One type of evidence included forcing the accused
witch to say the Lord's Prayer in public. Since witches were assumed to say
the Lord's Prayer backwards, if the accused made a slip, this proved she was
indeed a witch. The second type of evidence was the witness of people who
blamed their own misfortunes on the magical powers of the accused. The third
type of evidence was the presence of "devil's marks" on the accused-warts,
moles, scars, or other bodily imperfections. The fourth was a confession of
guilt-often obtained under torture. The final type of evidence was reports
from people who said they had seen floating ghostlike forms of the accused.

In those days, people accused of witchcraft—most of them innocent women—were
not given a trial. In Europe even children accused of witchcraft were
condemned to horrifying punishments. When the community decided a person was
a witch, the punishment was torture or execution. Sometimes the community
imprisoned the person in a stockade for onlookers to taunt and harass.[10]

Clearly, what we have today is not a witch-hunt. Law enforcement and overly
zealous Christians have not been given a license to go after anyone they
want. No criteria exists to help therapists, parents, children's agencies,
and prosecutors determine who is a "satanist." In fact, the people accused of
ritual abuse today have few common characteristics. They are not
card-carrying members of the Church of Satan; they are a variety of people
accused of similar acts. What we have today is a cross section of people from
around the world who are talking about a common ritual context in which
children are being abused.

Each time we discount the memories of ritual abuse survivors, we make a very
clear choice. If there is a chance these children and adults are telling the
truth, and children are being horribly abused in rituals today, then we have
a responsibility to these victims to take seriously those people who are
talking about it. As a society, we have the responsibility to protect the
victims, both the children and adults, from further harm.

THE SURVIVORS

Much of the information in this book is based on a sociological study of
ritual abuse. The survivors who volunteered for this study were adult
survivors of childhood ritual abuse. They completed a detailed questionnaire,
which is presented in Appendix A. All survivors were required to be in
therapy at the time they completed the questionnaire, to assure that
survivors had support while they confronted such a painful topic.

Ritual abuse survivors are not social outcasts. They are not freaks. Many
people may be surprised to find out that most survivors of ritual abuse are
functioning members of our society. During the past ten years, a number of
organizations have formed to provide education and support for people whose
lives have been affected by ritual child abuse. Each of the following
organizations and newsletters placed announcements asking for volunteers to
complete a questionnaire on ritual abuse:

Believe the Children is a national organization that provides support and
education for families of children who have been ritually abused in day-care
settings.

The Ritual Abuse Awareness Network is a national organization that provides
educational material on ritual abuse.

Healing Hearts of Berkeley, California, provides workshops and educational
materials for therapists and survivors.

Voices in Action is an organization for survivors of incest and also provides
information on ritual abuse.

Survivorship and Many Voices are newsletters to which many ritual abuse
survivors subscribe.

Gender, Race, and Occupation

Fifty women and two men responded to the announcements and completed the
questionnaire. Fifty of the survivors in this study are white, one is Asian,
and one is African-American. Nearly all of the survivors were employed at the
time they completed the questionnaire. The following is a list of their
occupations:

o four college students

o four counselors

o four disability recipients

o four homemakers

o three college professors

o three teachers

o three artists

o two administrative assistants

o two nurses

o two office managers

o one data coordinator

o one human services employee

o one lead systems analyst

o one medical technician

o one management analyst

o one chauffeur

o one botanist/writer

o one dental assistant

o one carpenter

o one office worker

o one engineer

o one laboratory technician

o one feminist health-care administrator

o one director of religious education

o one owner and director of a learning center

Six survivors chose not to answer this question. One survivor said, "I'm a
person trying to live. That is my occupation." The survivors who volunteered
for this study are in many ways like most members of society. They go to
work, have relationships, and struggle with the same day-to-day problems we
all experience.

Geographical Location

Most of the survivors who volunteered for this study lived in Califorma (40
percent), possibly because more resources are available for ritual abuse
survivors in California than in any other state. Sig nificantly more
therapists in California are trained to treat survivors of ritual abuse, and
support groups exist to help them. A number of rape crisis teams and sexual
assault centers in the state are trained on ritual abuse. Survivors of ritual
abuse who live in California are probably more likely to search for help than
survivors who live in other states, where resources for ritual abuse
survivors are not readily available. Table 1.3 lists all the states where
survivors in this study lived at the time they answered the questionnaire.

Socioeconomic Status

At the turn of the century, when child abuse was first acknowledged, it was
described as "child mistreatment as a result of poverty." The state
identified the children as the problem, not the parents who abused them. The
children were sent to rehabilitation homes because it was believed that they
posed a future threat to the larger society.[11] Today society is aware that
child abuse is a problem in all socioeconomic classes.

This study shows that ritual abuse is not confined to a single social class
(see Table 1.4). It is easier for most of us to imagine that people who were
severely abused were raised in the lower class. It is difficult to imagine
that the wealthy, powerful people in our communities—those people who often
have control over our livescould beat and molest their children. It is even
more frightening to imagine that such people are members of cults.

Religious Upbringing

Many readers will also be surprised to learn that nearly all the survivors in
this study reported having been raised in a family that practiced a
mainstream religion (see Table 1.5). Many survivors in this study who were
abused by their families stated that their parents were pillars of the
religious community. This made it very confusing when the memories of the
ritual abuse surfaced. One survivor noted in detail her religious upbringing:

... our family was strictly religious ... I can safely say that I did not
miss church on Sunday more than five times during the entire time from when I
was born till age eighteen. We had family prayers before every meal and
family devotions many nights. The children were all baptized infants and
"confirmed" into the church at age thirteen. My mother (one of the abusers)
spoke to us numerous times about how important it was to her to have
Christian faith, and how calling on the Lord in time of trouble is the only
way to make it in life.

Table 1.3 States and Countries from Which
Questionnaires Were Mailed

California      40%     Minnesota       2%
Washington      10%     Connecticut     2%
Colorado        8%      Montana 2%
Ohio    6%      Kentucky        2%
New York        4%      Indiana 2%
Louisiana       4%      Massachusetts   2%
Georgia 4%      Wisconsin       2%
Florida 2%      Canada  2%
Texas   2%      Japan   2%
Virginia        2%

Table 1.4 Social Class in Which Survivors
Were Raised

Upper class     4%      Working class   32%
Upper-middle class  30% Lower class     4%
Middle class    30%

Table 1.5 Religion in Which Survivors Were
Formally Raised

Protestant      63%     Atheist 4%
Catholic        19%     Born-Again Christian    2%
None    6%      Other: Non-denominational
Jewish  4%      Christian       2%

Aleister Crowley, a well-known British occultist living at the turn of the
century, made a reference to a hidden church behind our traditional churches.
In his book The Confessions of Aleister Crowley, he describes his search for
"truth" through the occult. He stated that in his search, he continued to
meet people who told him that "behind the exterior of the church is an
interior church, the most hidden of all communities, a Secret Sanctuary which
preserves all the mysteries of God and nature. It was formed after the fall
of man. It is the hidden assembly of the Elect."

Intrigued by this hidden church, Crowley spent a number of years in search of
this Secret Sanctuary. He was led by friends to a number of secret societies
and fraternal orders that claimed to carry a secret knowledge about God.[12]
In light of this theory about a "secret church within the church," it is not
surprising that survivors in this study reported their parents were members
of churches and religious organizations that are not satanic in nature.

Age of Survivors

The ages of people who responded to the questionnaire ranged from twenty-four
to fifty-five at the time of this questionnaire; the average age was
thirty-six (see Table 1.6). The small number of survivors in their twenties
who volunteered for this study may indicate that remembering such extreme
trauma is difficult to do at a young age. Most survivors of ritual abuse are
unable to remember the abuse until they are financially stable. During their
twenties, children sometimes still depend on their parents for financial
assistance. Dependence on the family of origin is often much greater before
children establish a family of their own. It is difficult to confront the
memories of abuse until the survivor has achieved a certain amount of
distance from the abusers.

Table 1.6 Ages of the Survivors Who Participated in This Study

20 to 25        4%

26 to 30       13%

31 to 35        15%

36 to 40        29%

41 to 45        19%

46 to 50        12%

51 to 55        8%

56 to 60        0%

It is also likely that mid-life crisis drives both survivors and nonsurvivors
to confront their pasts. At this time, people start to question what they are
doing with their lives. They ask themselves, "What is really important? Have
I found what I am looking for?" They begin to reflect on childhood issues,
such as abuse, that they have forgotten or tried to ignore.

People in their fifties and sixties are probably more likely simply to accept
the things they dont believe they can change. Their time of raising a family
is over. What's done is done. At this point, it seems easier to let the past
be the past and to accept that they may have lost many things they believe
can never be regained.

Limitations of the Study

The results of this study do not represent the experience of all ritual abuse
survivors. A number of limitations to this study make it impossible to
generalize about survivors. First, the survivors who completed this
questionnaire are only the survivors who have remembered. Ninety-seven
percent of the survivors in this study said that at some point during their
lives, they were amnesic of their ritual abuse experience. This means an
unknown number of survivors are presently unaware of their ritual abuse
history. What we know about these people is what we can infer from
information provided by remembering survivors. These remembering women and
men often can describe what their lives were like before they remembered the
ritual abuse. However, it is likely that remembering survivors have more
symptoms of trauma than nonremembering ritual abuse survivors. It is probable
that the very symptoms of trauma that drove them into therapy also enabled
them to remember the abuse. Appendix B lists a number of symptoms survivors
had before they remembered the ritual abuse, and which might have suggested
they were ritually abused as children.

Second, the requirement for survivors to be in therapy limits the results of
this study Survivors who are unable to find satisfactory therapy because of
financial limitations are inadequately represented. Survivors who have looked
to clergy or other means for their emotional support are also not represented
here. Finally, as this book will illustrate, many survivors have grown weary
of being revictimized by mental health professionals and have given up
therapy altogether.

CHILD ABUSE: A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE

Why do we hear so much about child abuse today? One reason is that
disciplinary techniques considered acceptable less than fifty years ago are
now legally defined as child abuse. For example, earlier in this century,
schoolchildren were regularly paddled and whacked with rulers or boards on
their knuckles and bottoms as a means of discipline for minor infractions.
Today physical child abuse is legally defined as any assault against a child
that leaves a physical injury—a mark. Until less than thirty years ago, there
were no laws to protect children from violence.

        Not only were children beaten at school, but the church in the early
1800s also made a number of public statements advocating corporal punishment.
The church declared that before the age of five, parents must literally beat
the spirit out of the child or else the child would become "spoiled." This
church suggestion followed the old saying, "Spare the rod, spoil the child."
Physical punishments that left marks on children, acts that are now illegal,
were practiced in schools as "discipline' and encouraged by religious
authorities.

The cyclical nature of violence is a clear consequence of child abuse.
Sometimes those who were abused as children can feel a strong, almost
uncontrollable impulse to reenact the abuse on their own children. Unless
these parents realize that they are stuck in a cycle that must be
broken-unless they find some way to control themselves from acting on
impulse-they often act on their feelings and hurt the child. The implications
are clear: If hitting a child was once an acceptable form of discipline, and
the desire to harm a child is passed from generation to generation, then it
is likely that many people abuse children today without defining it as such.
This cycle of violence against children-and the fact that violence against
children was socially acceptable in this country less than fifty years
ago-keeps many people from honestly confronting the problem. Our inability to
protect children from violence has allowed cults that practice ritual abuse
to flourish.

Dissociation

It is difficult to imagine that people who have experienced ritual abuse
could be alive and functioning in our society today. It is even more
difficult to imagine that survivors go to college and teach at our local
universities. Where do all their feelings go? How could someone be exposed to
so much pain and not feel it today? The answer is a process refer-red to as
dissociation-escaping an intolerable situation by detaching oneself mentally
and emotionally. When children are exposed to extreme pain, their minds
desperately try to stop it. Sometimes the mind is successful, sometimes it is
not. When it is successful, children are able to completely forget about the
abuse and the pain it caused.

Traumatic amnesia is common among ritual abuse survivors. When children are
severely abused by people who have control over their every movement (such as
parents or guardians), the pain from the abuse becomes too much for them to
allow in their daily experiences. For example, it would be too overwhelming
for a child to go to school each day and remember being ritually abused in a
cult the night before, so the child learns never to think about the abuse
except for when it is happening. A child who is ritually abused over time
develops a mental place that remembers only the abuse, and another place that
attempts to live a "normal" life at school and with people outside the cult.
Unfortunately, when the child learns to forget about the abuse, he or she is
at the complete mercy of the abusers. What saved the child's sanity and life,
the amnesia, is often the most powerful force that keeps the child from
leaving the group later. By cutting off from the reality of the abuse in the
cults, the child is able to stop the pain. But by forgetting, the child is
also unable to make choices that would prevent further victimization as an
adult.

Amnesia of severe trauma is a widely acknowledged consequence of war. War
veterans are often amnesic about the most traumatic events they faced on the
battlefield. The traumatic memories veterans experience are usually in the
form of flashbacks. Their minds actually believe they are back at that very
same moment when the trauma occurred. During the flashbacks, the veterans
experience all the physical sensations and emotions they experienced at the
time of the trauma.

Within the last decade, professionals have noted these same traumatic
symptoms in people who were severely abused as children, Often the symptoms
of trauma from child abuse have been falsely identified by professionalseven
by the child abuse survivors themselves-as hypersensitivity, hypochondria, or
even schizophrenia. The physical and sexual attack on a child by a parent or
guardian is easily compared to the trauma soldiers face during a battle.
However, in many ways the violent attack on a child by a parent may result in
greater pain.

First, children are utterly dependent on adults to meet all their physical
needs. The enemy, the adult abuser, is also the same person who is keeping
the children alive by feeding them and clothing them. In war, soldiers are
usually not ambivalent toward the enemy. They don't have to live with the
enemy or smile at them every day. Second, children's minds cognitively have a
difficult time separating truth from lies. They are unable to protect
themselves from the manipulation abusers use to control them. The adult mind
can rationalize, think for itself, and sort through lies. Third, children
abused by their parents often know of no other world than the violent, cold
world in which they are being raised. The minds of adult soldiers are already
aware of their own identity and past prior to the trauma they face during
battle. Finally, children are emotionally the most vulnerable creatures on
the earth. They are affected by every verbal or physical blow, whereas most
adults have already learned to mentally protect themselves from attack.

The problem of ritual abuse is complex, as this book will make clear. I do
not want to shelter anyone from the truth, and as a result this book may be
very painful to read. At times the survivor's predicament may appear
hopeless, but this is not the case. In awareness, there is hope. In education
and in support, there is hope. I  would like this book to serve as a
validation and support resource for all of us who have been through the
ordeal of ritual abuse and to provide comfort and understanding for our
hidden places of silenced pain.

pps. vii-24

NOTES

1. "Sensational Cases Across the Country," "Cases from the Bay Area and the
West:' San Francisco Examiner (September 28, 1989): A9.

2. "Vortex of Evil," New Statesman and Society (October 5, 1990).

3. Beth Marlin, "The Cannibal Case," Canadian Lawyer (October 1987): 24-27.

4. Arthur Lyons, Satan Wants You (New York: The Mysterious Press, 1988), 146
and 153.

5. Margaret Smith, Children Abused in Violent Rituals: Fact or Fiction?
(Woodland, CA: Reaching Out, 1992), 3-16.

6. Believe the Children, "Multi-victim Multi- perpetrator Ritualized Abuse
Survey," preliminary results, June 1987. Unpublished manuscript.

7. Pamela Hudson, Ritual  Child Abuse: Discovery, Diagnosis and Treatment
(Saratoga, CA: R & E Publishers, 1991), 26-28.

8. Lynda N. Driscoll and Cheryl Wright, Ph.D., "Survivors of Childhood Ritual
Abuse: Multi-generational Satanic Cult Involvement:' Treating Abuse Today 1,
no. 4 (September/October 1991): 5-13.

9. J. Johnson and S. Padilla, "Satanism: Skeptics Abound," Los Angeles Times
(April 23, 1991): A20.

10. Steven Pfohl, Images of Deviance and Social Control (New York:
McGraw-Hill, 1985), 24-40.

11. Steven Pfohl, "The Discovery of Child Abuse," Social Problems 24:3
(February 1977): 310-23.

12. Aleister Crowley, The Confessions of Aleister Crowley, edited by John
Symonds and Kenneth Grant (London: Arkana, 1979), 16.
--[cont]--
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,