-Caveat Lector-

     "Come back on your shield [a battlefield hero] or don't come back at
all."
     --A Spartan mother's traditional goodbye to her son, going off to war

Mrs. Reagan, Thatcher Praise McCain

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two grande dames of the conservative movement, Nancy
Reagan and Margaret Thatcher, are giving Sen. John McCain's presidential
campaign a boost.

In a note beginning ``My dear senator,'' the former British prime minister
praised McCain's speeches and writings on the conflict in Kosovo. ``I wanted
to write and tell you how much I admired and agreed with their contents,''
read the note released by McCain's GOP presidential campaign.

The Arizona senator has criticized President Clinton for ruling out the use
of ground troops in Yugoslavia.

Though she has not endorsed McCain, Thatcher wrote, ``I very much hope that
the wise and courageous leadership you are offering on this vital issue
impresses others in Washington as much as it impresses me.''

Nancy Reagan also has not endorsed McCain, though she did ask that the
senator accept an award Wednesday night on behalf of her husband. The
American Conservative Union will honor Reagan as the conservative of the
century.

``I am honored and very grateful to have been asked to accept an award for
that most eloquent, visionary, and steadfast apostle of freedom, President
Reagan, and to have been encouraged by his staunch ally, Lady Margaret
Thatcher, in my defense in the Balkans of the ideals they so ably advanced
throughout the world,'' McCain said.