-Caveat Lector-

We DO need a system of universal health coverage similar to Canada's
"socialized" system.

I think we should junk the wasteful, inefficient medical system that we
have now and replace it with a system that would be modeled after the
programs of the other industrialized nations of the west.

If you travel to Italy, Sweden, Norway, Canada or Japan, and you have a
medical emergency, you're covered.  Just ask the Norwegians, for example,
if they would be willing to jettison their "socialized" system for the
"free enterprise" US system of health care.... They don't want our
system!! Why?
Because our system is costly, inefficient and poses potential health risks
for all of us.

Do you think it's a good idea to have millions of people who work in
service related jobs (fast food, retail, etc.) not having health coverage?
They
prepare food, deal with customers all day...I think it's in the best
interests of all of us to make sure that everyone has some measure of
coverage.  (TB, hepatitis B....so many little microscopic nasties are
in the air...aren't they?)

If you send your child to a public school or a public playground, or use
public transportation, the health of other children can have a direct
impact on the health of YOUR children.

Of course, it boils down to the question of who should pay.. but we are
going to pay anyway, sooner or later.  Aren't we?  There are sins of
commission and omission, right?  If the current demographic trends
continue, this society will experience an increase of people coming in
from the third world.....  Since most of these new immigrants are coming
from "laissez-faire" countries where their governments have provided them
with a minimal amount of health care, I think it might be in our best
interest to insure that these future service employees and their families
are in good health.

Of course, I know that I'm not going to be able to convince anyone on this
list of the virtue of an affordable, sane system of universal health
coverage...  But this debate is just beginning.  In the future, we are
going to have an aging predominantly white population who will be
demanding more and more in the way of health services, while the majority
of the working class will be non-white. A universal system in which
everyone is covered...rich and poor alike, would be better than the system
we've got now....(in which money buys good health)

Of course, these matters are not of particular relevance for those of you
who are in good health...and in your twenties... ah....but after many a
summer, dies the swan..... the aches and pains that flesh is heir to, will
take it's toll, and once you begin handing over every dollar you've got to
the medical establishment to keep you and your loved ones alive, you might
discover that our current system leaves much to be desired..

"No man is an island unto itself.."
                       Donne