-Caveat Lector-

As a technology professional with over tens years Internet experience, I can
testify to William Hugh Tunstall comments.   The subsidies are often
indirect through the granting of  minor or major monopolies, (for a good
example see the history of AT&T, and the monopoly they had for well over a
half a century).    The government often has a dual use/dual purpose agenda
in these areas, with strong linkages between industry, academia, and
government.

Capitalism does not thrive on competition, on the contrary the false
Darwinian construct of competition seeks to explain market forces, price
patterns as the justification of arcane economic mechanism is simply
derived non-sense.

Capitalism seeks to aggregate resources, and to wipe out threats to
expanding growth of competitors or monopolize energy, whether it be in the
form of money, information, food, fuel, or other raw material.   However
monopolistic forces wipeout innovation because there is no incentive.

Does this make capitalism bad?  No, just its false and widely practice
Darwinist credo which has slowly inculcated the modern economic thinking.
Innovation has always been the driver of capitalism, it like saying that
water is necessary for life.       William Baumol's bullshit  announcement
smacks of fascination with  the obvious.     Innovation has always been the
great inducer of capital, which is patently obvious to most casual observer.

It should not be surprising that firms sign strategic partnerships with
their competitors seeing that their innovations will ultimately fuel their
own innovations.

As Peter Drucker said nearly ten years ago"International economic theory is
obsolete, the traditional factors of production land, capital and labor are
constraints rather than driving forces, only information has become the one
true factor of production,  it underlies the most powerful and  radical
transformation in the global economy."    A la Internet!

Jeffrey C Hearon
Founder & CEO
SCIO-LTD
http://www.scio-ltd.net