-Caveat Lector-

from:
 http://www.thenation.com/issue/960826/0826side.htm

Sidebar: Petrodollar Scholars

Billionaire oilmen Charles and David Koch are fast joining the Scaifes, the
Olins, the Bradleys and the Smith-Richardsons as major funding sources for
the conservative movement's powerful "third stream" of political money,
channeled from philanthropic foundations into right-wing causes. The Koch
foundations now lavish $4 million to $5 million a year on anti-regulatory
"free market" think tanks and other groups.

At a recent conference, Koch Industries vice president Richard Fink outlined
the Kochs' strategy of investing in each stage of idea development -- from
academic research and the recruitment of young scholars, to think tanks for
refining ideas into policy, to "implementation" groups that push the
concepts into reality. "We at the Koch Foundation view them as complementary
institutions, each critical for social transformation," Fink stated.

To advance their goals, the Kochs have entered into a pragmatic alliance
with Republican politicians. In the early 1990s, for instance, the Kochs
gave $300,000 to Citizens for Congressional Reform, which was supporting
state initiatives to impose Congressional term limits, then a key G.O.P.
tactic for breaking Democratic control of Congress. The Kochs did so even
though term limits would seem to conflict with their libertarian philosophy.

The Koch-founded Cato Institute, too, has expanded its Washington influence
by working with G.O.P. free-market devotees such as House majority leader
Dick Armey. From 1986 to 1994, the three Koch foundations gave Cato $11.9
million as the think tank attacked social welfare programs and government
handouts.

In 1984 Fink founded a new anti-regulatory group, Citizens for a Sound
Economy, which has received more than $9.3 million from Koch foundations.
C.S.E. is now an important weapon in the assault on government interference
in business, from environmental rules to agencies testing foods and
medicines. C.S.E. is now chaired by C. Boyden Gray, President Bush's White
House counsel.

With Koch Industries a major oil company, the Kochs' investment in C.S.E.
has paid dividends to the corporate bottom line. In 1993, C.S.E. organized
national pressure against President Clinton's proposed energy tax, known as
the B.T.U. tax. "Our belief is that the tax, over time, may have destroyed
our business," Fink told The Wichita Eagle. While the Koch foundations could
not legally lobby against the tax, C.S.E. rallied public opposition,
especially in Oklahoma, where then-Senator David Boren agreed to help kill
it.

C.S.E. has served as a direct Republican resource, too. In 1995 Bob Dole
asked Gray to write the G.O.P. regulatory reform bill, Congressional
Quarterly reported. The initiative sought a broad rollback of government
regulations and contained a provision to undercut the E.P.A.'s enforcement
of antipollution laws. Noting a pending environmental suit against Koch
Industries, some critics claimed the clause could have shielded the company
from liability. The rollback bill was stopped by a Democratic filibuster.

ROBERT PARRY

----
Copyright (c) 1996, The Nation Company, L.P. All rights reserved. Electronic
redistribution for nonprofit purposes is permitted, provided this notice is
attached in its entirety. Unauthorized, for-profit redistribution is
prohibited. For further information regarding reprinting and syndication,
please call The Nation at (212) 242-8400, ext. 226 or send e-mail to Max
Block.

=======
Koch Industries, Inc.
Ed Koch always asked "How am I doing?" but Koch Industries knows -- it's the
second-largest private US company (after Cargill), with extensive holdings
in petroleum, agriculture, and chemicals. The company's two Texas and
Minnesota refineries process about 540,000 barrels of crude oil a day, and
it owns about 35,000 miles of pipeline between Texas and Canada. Other
businesses include Purina Mills, the #1 US commercial animal feed producer,
and KoSa, a venture with Mexico's Saba family that is one of the world's top
polyester producers. Koch also provides ocean transport for minerals and
produces asphalt and equipment for the chemical industry. Brothers Charles
and David Koch (pronounced "coke") own the company.

Company Capsule brought to you by Infoseek and  Hoover's On-line
http://infoseek.go.com/Content?arn=40267&qt=koch&col=HV&svx=lhscaps

========