-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990702a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: No perceptions were falsely enhanced during production of this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# "Praise the Lord, Pass the Ammo." If there is any apparent correlation
  between the prevalence of Christian devotion and law-abiding conduct, it's
  the opposite of the one claimed by Republicans: Religion and violence seem
  to go hand in hand. That doesn't mean faith actually causes murder. But it
  does suggest that when Republicans contemplate the Ten Commandments, they
  should pay more attention to the ninth, which prohibits false witness.
  Kill for Krist: http://www.slate.com/Features/godmurder/godmurder.asp

: Does adherence to your belief system correlate with violence? Do you want
to kill me for bringing this up? What do the voices in your head say to do?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# US Magician Planning To Make Egypt's Sphinx Disappear. CAIRO (AFP) Egypt's
  Sphinx, which has stood guard by the Pyramids for 4600 years, is scheduled
  to disappear on Saturday - thanks to the skill of US illusionist Franz
  Harary. "I'm definitely going to try and make this Sphinx disappear,"
  Harary said. But he has decided against making the Pyramids disappear too,
  saying that as they are silhouetted against the sky people would think he
  had merely turned the lights off. http://www.sightings.com/ufo4/magic.htm

: What architectural/cultural/historical landmarks would you like to abscond
with? Where will you put them? Would ETs be pissed if the Pyramids vanished?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# La Nina Seems to Be Vanishing! The weather-altering La Nina phenomenon has
  all but vanished from the Pacific Ocean, satellite observations show. The
  pool of unusually cool tropical water with low sea levels has shriveled
  and the equatorial Pacific is warming to normal temperatures. Scientists
  cautioned that like its warm counterpart, El Nino, a La Nina condition
  will mar global climate and weather until it has completely subsided.
  search.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WAPO/19990630/V000805-063099-idx.html

: Is the 'vanishing' of La Nina an illusionist's trick? Is it easier to hide
a sphinx or La Nina? Where can you hide La Nina? What else is stashed there?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Pope Announces Desire to Make Holy Land Pilgrimage in 2000! Pope John Paul
  II announced his intention to visit holy sites in Israel, Iraq, and Egypt.
  He stated that he wants to pray at the holy places, and that he plans to
  make a personal pilgrimage in the year 2000. There is no doubt that the
  pope's announcement will add energy and motivation for groups of pilgrims
  to visit Israel. http://www.israelwire.com/New/990701/9907016.html
  and http://upway.com/cgi-bin/readnews?day=99_06_30&item=#930764402

: Will hoards of pilgrims of incompatible sects overrun Israel and provoke a
holy war? Will anti-Papal terrorists nuke Iraq during the Pope's visit? Is a
Papal 2000 trip the trigger for Armageddon? Are you going, watching, hiding?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Top 10 Things Overheard at Last Week's PC Expo. PC Expo blew in and out
  of New York last week, leaving a batch of charged ions and confused
  locals in its wake: http://www.cnet.com/Digdispatch/dispatch459.html
  What, after all, should we make of Logitech's new force-feedback mouse?
  Or the ceramic Ladybird, which absorbs electromagnetic fields and thus
  reduces the harmful radiation emitted from electronic devices? (Or so
  claims the manufacturer...) In any event, only memories remain, along
  with ten choice phrases overheard on the show floor:

1. "How's function 6 different from function 837?"
2. "I don't need your GPS device to tell me I'm in the food court."
3. "This'll all be gone in 250, 300 years."
4. "That thing you're holding just vaporized my dog."
5. "One Palm VII, two Zip drives, one StarTAC, one ThinkPad, two Rios, and
  one mini flashlight. And on this side of my body I've got..."
6. "Some guy over at Philips has a record daisy-chain going."
7. "Isn't that guy in Devo?"
8. "So after I hacked into the school computer, I thought, Why not the
  Pentagon?"
9. "Smells like stock options."
10. "I'm worth $90 billion."