-Caveat Lector-

BERNSTEIN NEARLY
GAGS ON 'DEEP THROAT' THEORY

 By ANDY GELLER and ED ROBINSON

----

 Watergate sleuth Carl Bernstein and ex-wife Nora Ephron are getting
heartburn over a report their son, Jacob, fingered a former FBI bigwig as
the mysterious Deep Throat.

Bernstein told The Post yesterday that neither Nora nor Jacob know the
identity of the source who helped bring down Richard Nixon "any more than
the man in the moon does."

He said Jacob was "repeating his mother's guesswork" when he told a camp
chum years ago that Deep Throat was W. Mark Felt, the former
second-in-command of the FBI.

The friend, Chase Culeman-Beckman of Port Chester, said Jacob told him the
information came straight from his dad.

Not so, Bernstein said.

"Nora came to that conclusion. That was her guesswork."

Bernstein said Ephron repeatedly tried to get Deep Throat's identity out of
him, but he remained true to the pledge he and partner Bob Woodward made -
to keep the secret until Deep Throat dies.

Ephron, a movie director, agreed Jacob heard the Mark Felt theory from her.

"Carl never told me who Deep Throat was, which was very smart because I
would have told the whole world by now. But I always suspected it was Mark
Felt," Ephron said.

Jacob Bernstein told The Post, "At no point did my father Carl Bernstein or
Bob Woodward reveal the identity of Deep Throat."

Culeman-Beckman, now 19, says Jacob revealed Deep Throat's identity to him
when they were both at a day camp in Bridgehampton, L.I., in 1988.

They were 8 at the time.

Using the information - and piles of research - Culeman-Beckman wrote a
high-school paper about Deep Throat's identity this year. The paper formed
the basis for a Hartford Courant article yesterday.

Culeman-Beckman recalled: "We entered into a very precocious discussion of
politics. Somehow the conversation degenerated to talk about Watergate and
in a burst of braggadocio, he said that Deep Throat was Mark Felt.

"He said I'm 100 percent sure that Deep Throat is Mark Felt."

Driving home that afternoon with his mom, Betsy, the young boy said he'd
learned who Deep Throat was.

His mother, thinking her son was talking about the porn movie starring Linda
Lovelace, nearly drove off the road.

Eventually, Culeman-Beckman wrote a 20-page paper on the subject.

He said he made further deductions that establish Felt is Deep Throat.

For example, an early draft of "All the President's Men," which Woodward and
Bernstein wrote, identifies the mysterious source as My Friend, he said.

The first two letters of those words are the first two letters in Mark
Felt's name, he said.

 New York Post®, nypostonline.com™, nypost.com™ and newyorkpost.com™ are
registered trademarks of NYP Holdings, Inc. Copyright 1999 NYP Holdings,
Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.nypostonline.com/news/11753.htm

Bard

Visit me at:
The Center for Exposing Corruption in the Federal Government
http://www.xld.com/public/center/center.htm

Federal Government defined:
....a benefit/subsidy protection racket!