-Caveat Lector-

Exploring Cult of Ruins in U.K.

By GRAHAM HEATHCOTE
.c The Associated Press

LONDON (AP) - Sir John Soane, the great British architect, wasn't content
simply to design the Bank of England built in 1833: He also commissioned a
drawing of how the bank might appear one day as a ruin.

Soane's fascination with ruins extended to the garden of his London home,
where, like other fashionable gardeners of the day, he erected a mock ruin.

So the house, now known as Sir John Soane's Museum, is a fitting site for the
``Visions of Ruin'' exhibition running through Aug. 28. Spanning 250 years,
the exhibition looks at the treatment of ruins in paintings, drawings,
models, books and photographs.

False ruins, also known as ``follies,'' enjoyed a great vogue in the 18th
century.

London's Kew Gardens has a brick and stone gateway fashioned to be a Roman
ruin, designed in the 1750s by Sir William Chambers. Artists drew and painted
what they thought cities would look like as ruins, and Antoine Careme, a
Paris chef, even served blancmanges in the shape of Roman ruins.

Hubert Robert, a French painter whose death certificate described him as
``Robert of the ruins,'' was particularly attracted to ancient remains.

Robert's paintings inspired the critic Denis Diderot to write in 1767: ``How
old this world is! I walk between two eternities. Wherever I turn my eyes,
the objects that surround me foretell an end and help me resign myself to the
one that awaits me. What is my ephemeral existence compared to that of this
crumbling stone?''

The exhibition notes that the tradition has not died.

This year's Chelsea Flower Show had a ``Millennium Ruin'' designed by a
manufacturer of landscape ornaments and architectural stonework. And
architects Julian and Isobel Bannerman have designed an artificial ruin in
the form of a gatehouse tower to conceal a client's satellite dishes.