-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990819a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
: No alien corpses were dissected during the production of this bulletin.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Geneticists make faithful mice. Scientists have transformed promiscuous
  male mice into more faithful partners & doting dads by inserting a single
  gene from a prairie vole. The research could have important applications:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_424000/424076.stm

: Would a genetically-engineered monogamous human population be susceptible
to centralized control? Would we cease being human? Would we be easier for
Reptilioids to harvest? Would we die of boredom? Would we screw like voles?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

$ Finally, A place where you can shop in a secure environment for all your
  love making accessories and novelties. Look the latest trends in dildos,
  vibrators, pumps, lingerie, magazines and videos. A huge variety of prod-
  ucts is at your finger tips. You might find something that will turn your
  love life upside down, inside out.  Yow: http://www.thedildostore.com

: Do you require mechanical assistance to reproduce, like turkeys, cattle &
Grays? What's your favorite mechanical reproduction appliance? Is it large?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Asia faces diabetes explosion. (BBC) There will be a massive increase in
  the number of people with diabetes - and particularly in China and India -
  over the next 15 years, the head of a biotechnology company has predicted.
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_424000/424857.stm

@ Links: Novo Nordisk http://www.novo.dk/index.asp
@ Info: http://www.umds.ac.uk/diabetes-euro/doit/information/diab_htm.htm
@ Diabetes webring UK: http://www.diabetic.org.uk/links/webring.htm

# UK Researchers Say Closer To Diabetes Cure. EDINBURGH (Reuters) British
  medical researchers said they had taken big steps toward finding a cure
  for diabetes, a disease that affects millions worldwide and forces them
  to take daily insulin injections. Hypodermic manufacturers are panicked:
  http://news.excite.com/news/r/990818/13/science-health-diabetes

: Will the 'cure' be found "just in time" to sell it to a billion customers/
patients? Is there a conspiracy involving the rise and cure of diabetes???
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# On the Veracity and Variability of Traumatic Memory. The authors present a
  neurobiologically based model of memory that predicts 1) temporary func-
  tional amnesia under traumatically stressful conditions; 2) recovery of
  emotional memories laid down during functional amnesia; and 3) that the
  accuracy of recovered traumatic memories varies in a systematic manner.
  The model, which is based on findings from modern cognitive neuroscience,
  also provides a neurobiologically sound alternative to the psychodynamic
  concept of repression.  http://rdz.stjohns.edu/trauma/art3v2i2.html

: How variable are your memories? Do you forget stressful stuff? Have you
recovered any memories? Do your alien implants help or interfere with your
memory? Do you have false memories implanted in your consciousness? Which?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ Journey through Tibet. (CNN) Surrounded by the world's highest mountain
  barriers, Tibetans for centuries discouraged contact with the outside
  world. These days, visitors are welcome, but it's still no easy matter
  to get there. Get a peek inside this once hidden kingdom with one woman's
  account of traveling there, and a gallery of stunning photographs. Watch
  out for the holy corn oil: http://cnn.com/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/9908/tibet/

# Also: Free Range Yaks Allowed To Roam. KATHMANDU (Reuters) -- Nepal and
  China have renewed an agreement allowing their yaks to graze across their
  common borders: http://news.excite.com/news/r/990819/08/odd-nepal-grazing

: Is holy corn oil the oil made from the corns of holy men? Are any holy men
left in Tibet? Does free-range yak taste good when fried in holy corn oil??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Strange lights in the sky turn out to be a memorial. CANTON, Ohio (AP)
  A UFO mystery is solved. Strange lights in the sky that perplexed some
  Perry Township residents turned out to be the result of a dead man's
  final wish. The shimmering balls of light seen dipping and swaying in
  the sky that morning were 50 yellow balloons containing the ashes of a
  recently deceased Canton resident, balloons released at the end of his
  memorial service. http://www.ohio.com:80/bj/news/ohio/docs/004441.htm

: Would you like to be carried off in a UFO when you die? Why wait? How many
reported UFOs are memorial balloons carrying human ashes? How many aren't??
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

# Global positioning navigational systems may fail:
  http://news.excite.com/news/r/990818/13/health-gps2
# Australia May Face Nuclear Threat From India:
  http://www.theage.com.au/daily/990819/news/news23.html

@ If I Were The Devil, by Paul Harvey:
  http://worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_excomm/19990816_xex_if_i_were_de.shtml
@ Lucifer: Worship Me Or Die! http://members.xoom.com/lokela/pages/jumbo.htm

# Dog Shoots Man. STUTTGART, Germany (Reuters) A German dog has shot and
  killed its owner: http://news.excite.com/news/r/990819/08/odd-life-dog
# STARR PROBE PROCEEDS: http://CNN.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/08/18/starr/

@ UFO Anomalies Zone: http://www.westol.com/~paufo
@ Free World Alliance: http://www.freeworldalliance.com
@ Citizens Against The New World Order: http://eagle-net.org/groomwatch

# Chlorinated water linked to birth defects in Norway:
  http://news.excite.com/news/r/990818/13/health-chlo4
# Genes may raise pesticide cancer risk in children:
  http://news.excite.com/news/r/990818/13/health-leuk3
# Thyroid deficiency in pregnancy affects child IQ:
  http://news.excite.com/news/r/990818/17/health-thy6
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

  "Tremulous hopes of Pacific disaster spring eternal in the East Coast
   hearts. We know this; you hate us; it's O.K. In the Moment of the
   Held Breath (author's long shorthand for California) we've lived
   with the resentment of the age as routinely as we live with the news
   of El Nino because, as old hands at apocalypse, our own particular
   narcissism is such that we not only expect El Nino, but we also hope
   for it." ** http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/sticks.htm#10 **

* http://sonic.net/~ric ** ICQ# 19633976 ** FAX: 603-415-3736 **
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *