-Caveat Lector-

>From www.cato.org/research/for-st.html

><><  Hot linques aplenty at the site  ><><

> FOREIGN POLICY STUDIES
> Ted Galen Carpenter, Vice President for Defense & Foreign Policy Studies
> Gary Dempsey, Foreign Policy Analyst

> Tripwire: Korea and U.S. Foreign Policy in a Changed World
>
> The World Bank's Procurement Myth
>
> The Domino Theory Reborn: Clinton's Bosnia Intervention and the "Wider War"
> Thesis
>
> Smoke and Mirrors: The Clinton-Hashimoto Summit
>
> A Miasma of Corruption: The United Nations at 50
>
> Time Bomb: The Escalation of U.S. Security Commitments in the Persian Gulf
> Region
>
>  Cato’s foreign policy vision is guided by the wisdom expressed in Thomas
> Jefferson’s credo: "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations,
> entangling alliances with none." Accordingly, Cato’s foreign policy work
> supports the concepts of a national defense based on strategic independence and
> diplomacy based on prudent nonintervention. Under the direction of Ted Galen
> Carpenter, Cato’s foreign policy work is currently devoted to four major issue
> areas: (1) the conflict in Bosnia; (2) U.S. participation in United Nations
> peacekeeping and nation-building missions; (3) the problems of nuclear weapons
> proliferation; and (4) the future of NATO, SEATO, and other alliances.
> Carpenter’s scholarly papers have been published recently in Foreign Affairs,
> World Policy Journal, and Mediterranean Quarterly.
>
> Recent Highlights
>
> Books:
>
> • Delusions of Grandeur, edited by Cato’s vice president for foreign policy and
> defense studies, Ted Galen Carpenter. This Cato Institute book features the
> papers delivered at Cato’s 1996 conference, "The United Nations and Global
> Intervention." Chapters include the UN’s peacekeeping, social, and economic
> agenda by Robert Oakley, former U.S. ambassador to Somalia, and John Bolton,
> former assistant secretary of state for international organizations.
>
> • Tripwire: Korea and U.S. Foreign Policy in a Changed World, a Cato Institute
> book by Cato senior Fellow Doug Bandow. This book argues that it is time to
> phase out the American military commitment to South Korea, which has twice the
> population of North Korea and an economy 18 times as large as that of the North.
> That step, the book concludes, would free the United States of an obsolete
> obligation and give South Korea responsibility for its own security.
>
> Studies:
>
> • "Paternalism and Dependence: The U.S.-Japanese Security Relationship," by
> Cato’s vice president for foreign policy and defense studies, Ted Galen
> Carpenter. This Policy Analysis study explains how the U.S. military alliance
> with Japan not only provides a lucrative defense subsidy to the Japanese at the
> expense of American taxpayers, but also that it is designed for a bygone era in
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.