-Caveat Lector-

"The News That Didn't Make the News", Original Sources, Sep 01 Sorting
Out Facts From a Barrage of Government Distortion and Half-truths
By: Mary Mostert
Yesterday I received an e-mail entitled "Untold Stories of U.S./NATO's
War and U.S. Media Complacency" by Peter Phillips, director of "Project
Censored" at Sonoma State University in California, which said in
part:

"The mainstream media in the United States were aware that the Pentagon
and NATO were releasing biased and false information regarding the war
in Kosovo yet they continued to pass on the information to the American
public as if it were gospel," the report began. " '...the media were
once more asked to sort out a few kernels of facts from a barrage of
distortions and half-truths from government information
manipulators...baloney-ladened military briefings in Brussels...cryptic
shows at the Pentagon,' reports Senior correspondent for Newsday's
Washington Bureau, Patrick Sloyan. Writing in June's American
Journalism Review, Sloyan went on to describe how the elite of U.S.
media complained to President Clinton, but failed to use their power to
challenge the government.

"That the U.S. Military and NATO kept the American public propagandized
and ignorant about the our most recent war is a well known fact among
mainstream correspondents. Foremost in the undercovered or ignored
categories, but widely covered in Europe, were: extensive civilian
deaths (2,000+);

massive damage to non-military civilian facilities in Serbia; the use
of illegal cluster bombs and depleted uranium munitions; Devastating
environmental pollution was created by the bombing and burning of
refineries and chemical plants. "The deliberate destruction of public
utilities left many Serbians without power, water and heating. Yet the
Pentagon persisted in saying they were attacking only legitimate
military targets. How could all of this massive civilian destruction
just be collateral damage? Why was a public television station
considered a legitimate military target? "According to the London Daily
Telegraph of July 22, 1999, 'NATO's bombing campaign against Yugoslavia
had almost no military effect on the regime of President Milosevic.'"
It did, however, bring diplomatic ties among NATO partners to the near
breaking point." Of course, if you had been reading my columns during
the past seven months you WOULD have read all those stories while they
were actually news. So, " If news suppression were common in the United
States, one might expect that efforts to identify and publicize the
most important overlooked stories would receive scant attention from
major news outlets."

Will this report and recently published book, "Censored 1999: The News
That Didn't Make the News" receive any publicity from the media it
scolds? Of course not. The story of WHY the media is doing such a poor
job, although often a topic of conversation on talk shows and among
reporters, will not be the subject of a serious analysis at the TV
networks or the large corporate entities which have a big investment in
trying to corner the "news" markets.

Phillips observed: "A review of the top 25 censored stories of last
year suggests that foreign affairs and corporate misdeeds were the most
consistent areas of neglect. In part, this may be explained by
corporate takeovers of the three main television networks by outside
industries beginning in the 1980s, with resultant newsroom layoffs,
closing of foreign news bureaus and potential conflicts of interest."
Actually, I have a different explanation. I think the problem is more
basic. It appears to me that the majority of those reporting and
writing "news"

simply do not understand what news is and how to find it. As I pointed
out during the bombing, some of the top "reporters" in the industry
were assigned to NATO headquarters in Brussels to "report" the story of
NATO bombing Yugoslavia by waiting for Jamie Shea's daily press
conference and press releases. He was obviously simply pulling figures
out the air at times and regurgitating propaganda from the KLA about
what was supposedly happening to the Yugoslav army - destruction of its
airforce, 10,000 killed, most of his tanks destroyed, etc. At one point
he said to the gathered top reporters that Albanian women in refugee
camps had "given birth to 100,000 babies" - obviously the fault of the
indicted "war criminal" in Belgrade - Slobadan Milosevic. The figures
was reported worldwide without question - and not a soul (except me)
questioned how 200,000-300,000 women who fled Kosovo could have
possibly given birth to 100,000 babies in a little more than 2 months.
Shea and the White House talked on CNN daily about "100,000" missing
and killed "Albanians" and "mass graves" containing "hundreds" of
tortured and murdered Albanians. Yet, there were almost NO reporters on
the ground in Yugoslavia and the ones that WERE there were reporting no
signs of thousands of body bags with dead Yugoslav soldiers returning
from the front in Kosovo. Where did those figures Jamie Shea and White
House were reporting come from? Where are the bodies? They haven't been
found. The KLA now seems ready to start shooting KFOR troops in their
quest of Greater Albania and seizure of lands, factories and buildings
owned by Serbs and other minorities in Kosovo. Sitting in my home
California I seemed usually to have a better source of information than
the reporters in Yugoslav hotels, watching Serbia TV. I was getting
hundreds of e-mail from people all over Yugoslavia, who were reporting
to me what they were personally experiencing in the bombing raids, plus
e-mail forwarded to me from all over the world from people getting
e-mail from relatives in Belgrade, Pristina, Novi Sad, etc.

I received e-mail from Belgrade telling me about the F-117 that was
shot down BEFORE it was announced on US television. Then I watched CNN
as it re-played the video of the downed stealth bomber on Serbia TV,
while Washington was still denying NATO had lost a plane. I might add
that I was also getting reports of other downed NATO spy planes and
piloted planes - which I never saw videos of - especially after NATO
bombed the SerbTV station. NATO never admitted losing those planes, and
I didn't report them, because I couldn't verify the stories, but long
before the bombing stopped I fully realized what Phillips is saying.
The news, the real news, of the NATO bombing was never actually
reported by the networks OR by news staffs of bureaus and major
newspapers.

While reduced staffs, as Phillips suggests, may have contributed to the
dearth of reporting, I believe the biggest problem involved bias and
professional arrogance. The Serb side of this argument simply was never
reported and the White House and London's official government line was
reported as "news" - while anything that contradicted that line was
dubbed "propaganda." When ordinary people in Belgrade, Novi Sad and
Pristina began sending e-mail which described what they were
experiencing as NATO bombed their cities, their reports rang true. The
press releases from the White House and NATO headquarters didn't. The
eloquence of ordinary people describing what had happened when NATO
bombed the Freedom bridge over the Danube River at Novi Sad, which they
loved dearly, far surpassed anything written by a reporter in Brussels
who Jamie Shea describing NATO's "success" in destroying it. (see
http://www.suc.org/exhibitions/destruction/17.html) And that, folks,
was why the decision was made to bomb the Serb TV station, and the
power plants and why pressure was put on the European servers to stop
providing Internet access by which those e-mails to me and thousands of
others around the world were being sent. The Yugoslav bombing was the
world's first e-mail reported war. All the billions spent by a few
billionaires like Ted Turner did not succeed in keeping the truth from
leaking out about Kosovo. Quite a bit of information got out - and is
still getting out. It just was never reported on network news.

In fact, in the last six months a worldwide network has developed
around my daily column, and other Internet sites, which is awesome.
Finding that I value their input, scores of people send me infomation
they have uncovered or someone in their nation has reported, sometimes
on a daily basis. Often all the bits and pieces enable me to find
answers to international puzzles.

In spite of the billions of dollars spent bombing Yugoslavia and the
billions of dollars spent to corner the media sources, destroy TV
transmitters and stations, power stations, schools and hospitals, and
the indicting Milosevic as a war criminal, the Serb side of story is
beginning to be told anyway. The "legacy" that Clinton and Blair
dreamed of is probably going to be very different than that they
thought they could create with a major propaganda effort - because
there are thousands of people telling a story that they personally
experienced, bomb by bomb, fact by fact, via networked personal
computers And, facts, told on a first person basis by many people, sent
to many other people, will eventually overwhelm the mass of
misinformation and outright lies told by Jamie Shea and the Clinton
White House. Facts are stubborn things and they already are beginning
to overtake the lies. The real war has not begun yet in the Balkans. To
comment:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To contact Peter Phillips Ph.D., Sociology Department/Project Censored
Sonoma State University
1801 East Cotati Ave.
Rohnert Park, CA 94928

" It all comes out in the wash." - Wun Hung Lo [J2]