-Caveat Lector-

----Original Message Follows----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [DOEWatch] State, UW apologize for radiation tests---testicles were
bombarded with rad.
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:50:04 EDT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Source:
<A
HREF="http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/1999/0914.html#anchor596920">http://w
ww.tri-cityherald.com/news/1999/0914.html#anchor596920</A>
State, UW apologize for radiation tests

By The Associated Press and the Herald staff

The state and the University of Washington have apologized for any harm that
may have been done to Walla Walla prison inmates whose testicles were
bombarded with radiation in a Cold War experiment.

The apology is part of a settlement of a $5 million class-action lawsuit
filed in 1996.

Details of the settlement are confidential until it is approved by U.S.
District Judge Robert Whaley later this month, lawyers for both sides said
in
a joint statement to a Spokane newspaper.

The experiments were conducted in the 1960s on 63 Washington State
Penitentiary inmates by Dr. C. Alvin Paulsen of UW.

Paulsen did the research under an Atomic Energy Commission contract to study
radiation's effects on fertility.

Hanford was one factor in prompting the experiments.

A 1962 Hanford radiation flash led to testicular problems in three workers.
That highlighted that little knowledge existed then on radiation's effects
on
sperm generation.

The state Department of Corrections allowed Paulsen to use prisoners for the
experiments until March 1970, when the tests were ordered stopped by the
head
of the department's research division.

"The plaintiffs allege that the research involved improper human radiation
experimentation," the statement says. "The University of Washington and the
Department of Corrections deny all liability but nevertheless regret that
the
research may have caused the alleged harm and concerns that the prisoners
have expressed in their lawsuit."

The settlement will include cash payments to a number of prisoners or their
estates, depending on how many make valid claims, said lawyer Bradley Keller
of Seattle, who worked on the plaintiffs' case.

Several prisoners, including lead plaintiff Robert White of Spokane, said
they developed severe health problems from the experiments, including
infertility.

The experiments, which included a similar program at the Oregon State
Penitentiary in Salem, were condemned in 1995 by a Clinton administration
review panel.

Of the 63 original participants, some 23 had died by the time the defendants
were ordered in 1997 to release a list of men who were subjects of the
experiments.

Whaley earlier dismissed two Hanford contractors - General Electric Co. and
Battelle - plus the federal government, which paid for and administered the
experiments, from the lawsuit.

General Electric used to be Hanford's lead contractor. And Battelle took
over
operating Pacific Northwest Laboratory in 1965 from General Electric
- inheriting a technical support role in those experiments.

Hanford documents from that time indicated Battelle was uncomfortable with
the experiments.

ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
For details and to order, go to:

DOEWatch List ----A Magnum-Opus Project ---  The real Natl. Sec. Directive
Subscribe online: http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/doewatch
-based near the cryptic named  X-10 [god and ten commandments] and Y-12
[yahweh and disciples] nuke weapons plants of the nuclear tabernacle of Oak
Ridge.

"If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky
That would be like the splendor of the Mighty one...
I am become Death, The shatterer of Worlds."
-Oppenheimer July 16, 45 at Trinity from 5,000 year old Bhagavad-Gita

"We have discovered the most terrible bomb in the history of the world.  It
may be the fire destruction prophesized in the Euphrates Valley Era, after
Noah and his fabulous Ark.  Anyway we think we have found the way to cause
the disintegration of the atom."
  -Quote from Truman's diary July 25, 45 after Pottsdam and the "baby was
born" and grew into "Little Boy" and "Fat Man" and the hydrogen bomb
delivered by bomber named  "Dave's Dream."  Enola Gay's pilot, after
Hiroshima,  enters "My God' in the log.

"The Doctor of the future will give No Medicine, but will interest his
patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and
prevention of disease."
-Attributed to Thomas Alva Edison

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"
-George Orwell

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html