-Caveat Lector-

<<Two words should do: ""Turn around"" >>

>From the Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald

> British jets on way to Jakarta
>
> By SIMON MANN in London
>
> Britain was facing embarrassment yesterday over revelations that three Hawk
> fighter jets would arrive in Indonesia soon despite assurances by the Foreign
> Secretary, Mr Robin Cook, that no more British-made arms would be sold to
> Jakarta.
>
> The jets were apparently already in Thailand at the time the Government declared
> its embargo last weekend, but their onward journey had been interrupted when one
> of the pilots fell ill, according to a report in the Sunday Times.
>
> A Government spokesman said it would be impossible to stop delivery of the jets.
>

> It was also revealed yesterday that Britain had spent more than £1 million ($2.4
> million) training 50 Indonesian officers at its military colleges in the two
> years since the Blair Government came to power.
>
> And a report in The Observer said a US program, which continued until last year,
> was hidden from the public after Congress ended official training of the
> Indonesian military after a massacre in 1991.
>
> Quoting Pentagon documents, the newspaper said the covert operation included
> expert training of the Kopassus, Indonesia's elite force, which human rights
> groups claim has been responsible for a string of atrocities.
>
> Specific commanders, including former president Soeharto's son-in-law, General
> Prabowo Subianto, and General Kiki Syahnakri, the soldier in charge of martial
> law enforcement, were trained in guerilla warfare, surveillance,
> counter-intelligence, sniper marksmanship and "psychological operations".
> Copyright © 1999. The Sydney Morning Herald
> All rights reserved.

Date sent:              Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:26:50 +0100

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

Will Deighton explains why the pressure for international intervention in
East Timor was destined to end in bloodshed

When Indonesian foreign minister Ali Alatas finally agreed to the posting
of an international force in East Timor in September, it was seen as a
positive breakthrough for Western intervention in the conflict. The claim
for East Timorese independence has been advanced by the radicals of the
Fretilin movement throughout the period of Indonesian rule over this
former Portuguese colony. But it is only in the past four years, since
European governments, along with Australia and New Zealand, have adopted
the cause of East Timor, that is has become a major international issue.

Yet the results of the process of intervention have been catastrophic.

Throughout the Cold War, all of the Western allies backed the Indonesian
regime of President Suharto, regardless of what it did to its opponents at
home or in East Timor. Suharto's 34-year dictatorship began in a bloody
coup in 1965 when, with full American support, the Indonesian military
overthrew the radical nationalist President Sukarno and crushed the
Indonesian Communist Party. Half a million people died. Suharto's
Indonesia proved a valuable ally of the USA in a volatile region, where
the West had suffered setbacks in China, Korea and Vietnam. A grateful
Anglo-American elite feted Suharto's military regime with money and guns.
British arms sales have included Rapier air defence systems, Navy frigates
- and in 1993 £500 million worth of contracts for 24 Hawk jets.

In more recent times, the major pressure for a reconsideration of policy
towards Indonesia has come from the burgeoning army of international
non-governmental organisations (NGOs). These pressure groups are generally
funded by Western governments or through contributions, and have a remit
to give aid or to act as advocates for victims of repression. Campaigns
like Amnesty International, the World Development Movement and the
Campaign Against the Arms Trade adopted the cause of the East Timorese
people through humanitarian intentions. But in demanding more
international intervention in East Timor, they set in motion a process
where bloodshed became inevitable.

The NGOs have come to the fore as a motor of military and political
intervention in the third world since the end of the Cold War. The impact
of the NGOs upon localised conflicts (such as exist in most parts of the
world) has tended to internationalise them. In the process such conflicts
are made uncontainable. Intervention transforms the protagonists, through
bringing them into contact with well-connected NGOs which provide a line
to the world's media and governments. Secessionist movements then tend to
adopt a strategy of internationalising regional conflicts, so that their
territorial and political demands are made primarily to the outside world.
Since everybody is now playing to the global gallery, and no party any
longer has an interest in reaching an internal agreement, the conflicts
are prolonged and intensified.

In the case of East Timor the internationalisation of the claim for
independence was formalised when the Norwegian Nobel Committee decided to
award the Nobel Peace Prize to Carlos Belo and José Ramos-Horta 'for their
work towards a just and peaceful solution to the conflict in East Timor'
in October 1996. The Nobel Committee's award was a calculated snub to the
West's allies in the Indonesian government. The impact upon the East
Timorese was entirely predictable: internationalising the conflict through
the NGOs became the obvious strategy. As New Zealand campaigner Phil
Ferguson explains: 'Nowhere is the demand for intervention stronger than
among supporters of East Timorese independence. From demanding "Hands Off"
by not only the Indonesians but also the Western powers, they have shifted
to demanding "Hands On".'

In Britain, charities and campaigns highlighted the case of East Timor in
a series of high-level protests against the Conservative government's arms
sales to Indonesia. Reluctant to jeopardise Britain's £32 billion arms
trade, the Labour opposition at first refused to support an export ban.
But after a jury refused to convict anti-arms trade protesters who damaged
Hawk jets destined for Indonesia in 1996, Labour jumped on the bandwagon
denouncing the Tories' arms sales to Indonesia.

On coming to office in 1997, Labour foreign secretary Robin Cook promised
an 'ethical' foreign policy. Widely interpreted as meaning an end to arms
sales to repressive regimes, Cook's humanitarian foreign policy was a
commitment that came back to haunt him. Cook was pilloried for visiting
Indonesia and for the issuing them with invitations to visit British arms
fairs. He was further embarrassed in September, with revelations that £130
million of public money has been used in the past year alone to help the
Indonesian government buy Hawk fighters from Britain. Against its
instincts, the Labour government has been pushed towards a position of
active opposition to the Indonesian regime.

The removal of Suharto following mass protests in Jakarta in May 1998 was
the signal for all of Indonesia's former allies to start pushing Indonesia
over East Timor. Gordon Brown made it clear that 'the world is now
watching Indonesia', while Australia's foreign minister Alexander Downer
said 'this is a wonderful opportunity for there to be progress made on the
question of East Timor'. (Of course, both Britain and Australia had given
training and advice to Indonesian police and troops operating in East
Timor right up until last year.)

International intervention came with the European Union's mission to East
Timor in June 1998 under British ambassador Robin Christopher, who told
the crowds: 'Your voice has been heard. We all have taken your messages
away with us. We congratulate this good and disciplined demonstration. We
want the future of East Timor to be peaceful.' When Indonesian
intelligence officers accompanying the mission opened fire, Christopher
called the mission to a halt and left the crowds to the pro-Indonesian
militias.

The United Nations mission in Dili's independence referendum paid scant
regard to the destabilising effect it would have on the rest of Indonesia.
The naivety of the Habibie regime in thinking that the referendum in
August would end in anything but a mandate for independence was matched
only by the UN's refusal to understand that the Indonesian military would
be unable to accept the results. Once again the 'international community'
marched civilian protesters directly into the path of machine-gun fire.
The overwhelming result in favour of independence was belied by a complete
lack of organisation on the ground to resist the pro-Jakarta militias, as
Fretilin waited for the international community to come to the rescue.

For the United Nations an ignominious retreat, first into and then out of
its Dili compound, was a tactical defeat; but it also proved a
propagandistic windfall for the pro-interventionists. The scenes made it
impossible for America and Britain to resist the demand for military
intervention. The East Timorese had been used as a stage army to advance
the cause of humanitarian intervention in Indonesia.

Phil Ferguson makes the point that 'Australia and New Zealand, which would
be likely to play major roles in such an intervention, have substantial
vested interests in the region and a growing array of "peacekeeping"
missions in the Asia-Pacific area and other parts of the world'. Disquiet
was soon evident within Indonesia over the UN's insistence that Australia
- a mostly white nation from the old colonial school, widely mistrusted in
Asia - should lead the force in East Timor.

The impact of deligitimating the Indonesian state through East Timor will
be profound. The future of a nation of 200 million is now in question.
Moreover, the UN, NGOs and Western governments have created a situation
where many other minorities throughout Asia can look to advance their
cause through appealing to the international community - with predictably
destabilising results. As more developing nations are undermined, the
likely result is a further extension of Western supervision under the
auspices of the United Nations. The UN protectorate roadshow moves on from
Bosnia and Kosovo to East Timor and beyond.

The sun rises over the United Nations headquarters in New York six hours
before dawn at the International Tribunal of Human Rights at The Hague. An
hour later the first morning patrols of the Bosnian protectorate are made,
and the mission in Kosovo starts another day. An hour after that, the
Kurdish 'safe havens' and United Nations mission in Baghdad see the first
shafts of sunlight and by noon in the Middle East the United Nations'
latest possession in East Timor greets a new day. By mid-afternoon in Dili
it is dawn in the UN mission in Guatemala, just an hour before the sun
rises over the United Nations headquarters in New York. With the posting
of UN troops in East Timor, the United Nations has become an empire on
which the sun does not set.

This article will be published in the October issue of LM magazine. To
take out a subscription, phone (0171) 269 9220 or go to
http://www.informinc.co.uk/LM/transact/subscribe.html

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.