-Caveat Lector-

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mark Graffis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: AD 2100: miserable life on overcrowded Earth
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:19:12 -0500 (CDT)

   A.D. 2100: Cornell study warns of a miserable life on overcrowded Earth
if
   population and resources are not controlled

    FOR RELEASE: Sept. 20, 1999

    Contact: Roger Segelken
    Office: (607) 255-9736
    E-Mail: [1][EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ITHACA, N.Y. -- One hundred years from now, democratically determined
    population-control practices and sound resource-management policies
    could have the planet's 2 billion people thriving in harmony with the
    environment. Lacking these approaches, a new Cornell University study
    suggests, 12 billon miserable humans will suffer a difficult life on
    Earth by the year 2100.

    "Of course, reducing population and using resources wisely will be a
    challenging task in the coming decades," says David Pimentel, lead
    author of the report titled "Will Limits of the Earth's Resources
    Control Human Numbers?" in the first issue of the journal Environment,
    Development and Sustainability.

    "It will be much more difficult," Pimentel says, "to survive in a
    world without voluntary controls on population growth and ever
    diminishing supplies of the Earth's resources."

    Even at a reduced world population of 2 billion in A.D. 2100, life for
    the average Earth dweller will not be as luxurious as it is for many
    Americans today. But the lifestyle won't be as wasteful of resources,
    either, the Cornell ecologist predicts. Some observers are seeing
    early signs that nature is taking a hand at reducing human populations
    through malnutrition and disease. According to the report, global
    climate change is beginning to contribute to the food and disease
    problems.

    "With a democratically determined population policy that respects
    basic individual rights, with sound resource-use policies, plus the
    support of science and technology to enhance energy supplies and
    protect the integrity of the environment," the report concludes, "an
    optimum population of 2 billion for the Earth can be achieved."

    Then the fortunate 2 billion will be free from poverty and starvation,
    living in an environment capable of sustaining human life with
    dignity, the report suggests, adding a cautionary note:

    "We must avoid letting human numbers continue to increase and surpass
    the limit of Earth's natural resources and forcing natural forces to
    control our number by disease, malnutrition and violent conflicts over
    resources," the report says.

    Among the key points in the report:

    -- The world population is projected to double in about 50 years.

    -- Even if a worldwide limit of 2.1 children per couple were adopted
    tomorrow, Earth's human population would continue to increase before
    stabilizing at around 12 billion in more than 60 years. The major
    reason for continued growth is "population momentum," due to the
    predominantly young age structure of the world population.

    -- The U.S. population has doubled during the past 60 years to 270
    million and, at the current growth rate, is projected to double again,
    to 540 million, in the next 75 years. Each year our nation adds 3
    million people (including legal immigrants) to its population, plus an
    estimated 400,000 illegal immigrants.

    -- Increasing U.S. and global population will place restrictions on
    certain freedoms: freedom to travel and commute to work quickly and
    efficiently, freedom to visit and enjoy natural areas, freedom to
    select desired foods and freedom to be effectively represented by
    government

    -- Today, more than 3 billion people suffer from malnutrition, the
    largest number and proportion of the world population in history,
    according to the World Health Organization. Malnutrition increases the
    susceptibility to diseases such as diarrhea and malaria.

    -- One reason for the increase in malnutrition is that production of
    grains per capita has been declining since 1983. Grains provide 80
    percent to 90 percent of the world's food. Each additional human
    further reduces available food per capita.

    -- The reasons for this per capita decrease in food production are a
    20 percent decline in cropland per capita, a 15 percent decrease in
    water for irrigation and a 23 percent drop in the use of fertilizers.

    -- Biotechnology and other technologies apparently have not been
    implemented fast enough to prevent declines in per capita food
    production during the past 17 years.

    -- Considering the resources likely to be available in A.D. 2100, the
    optimal world population would be about 2 billion, with a standard of
    living about half that of the United States in the 1990s, or at the
    standard experienced by the average European.

    The study was funded by Cornell University. In addition to Pimentel,
    authors of the Environment, Development and Sustainability report
    include Owen Bailey, Paul Kim, Elizabeth Mullaney, Joy Calabrese,
    Laura Walman, Fred Nelson nd Xiangjun Yao, all students at Cornell
    University.

    Related World Wide Web sites: The following sites provide additional
    information on this news release. Some might not be part of the
    Cornell University community, and Cornell has no control over their
    content or availability.

    -- Environment, Development and Sustainability journal:
    [2]http://www.wkap.nl/journalhome.htm/1387-585X

    -30-