-Caveat Lector-

> Published Date September 24, 1999, in Washington, D.C.
> www.insightmag.com
>

> A Visa for Castro's
> Terrorism Chief in Washington?

> By J. Michael Waller
>
> As President Clinton granted clemency to the Puerto Rican terrorists, the White
> House was pushing to allow Fidel's terrorism coordinator to set up shop in
> Washington.
>
> <Picture: A>mysterious White House push to allow one of Fidel Castro's top
> covert operatives to set up shop in Washington adds a new twist to the deepening
> controversy about President Clinton's August decision to free members of two
> Cuban-backed Puerto Rican terrorist groups. . . . . Insight has learned that
> while the White House prepared to grant clemency to 16 imprisoned terrorists, it
> pressured the State Department to grant a visa to Fernando Garcia Bielsa, a
> high-ranking Cuban Communist Party official in charge of supporting the very
> terrorist groups to which the prisoners belonged. The visa would allow Garcia
> Bielsa to work under diplomatic cover at the Cuban Interests Section on 16th
> Street in Washington, just blocks from the White House. . . . . Garcia Bielsa is
> not a typical gray apparatchik. As chief of the America Department of the Cuban
> Communist Party Central Committee, he is responsible for the party's covert
> operations -- including agent-of-influence activity and support for Puerto Rican
> terrorism against the United States. . . . . The America Department, known by
> its Spanish initials DA, long has been Castro's main instrument for coordinating
> terrorism in the Western Hemisphere. A 1975 Senate investigation on Cuban
> support for terrorism found that the DA began directing terrorist operations in
> Puerto Rico and in the Midwestern and Eastern United States in 1974. Senate
> hearings in 1982 revealed that Cuban intelligence "organized" the Puerto Rican
> Armed Forces of National Liberation, known by its Spanish acronym, FALN. The
> terrorists Clinton recently freed belonged to the FALN and a related group, the
> Boricua Popular Army-Macheteros, or the Macheteros. . . . . A 1981 State
> Department report says the DA was created "to centralize Cuban control over
> covert activities" in support of revolutionary groups in the hemisphere.
> Castro's KGB-like state intelligence service, the General Intelligence
> Directorate, or DGI, is a separate organization also used for terrorist support.
> . . . . Under U.S. law, State cannot independently issue visas to foreigners
> believed to be entering the country for the purpose of hostile intelligence
> activity. The Immigration and Nationality Act requires that such cases also must
> have the approval of the attorney general. And Attorney General Janet Reno -- a
> native of Miami with years of knowledge of how the Cuban regime works -- has not
> rushed her decision. But officials opposed to Garcia Bielsa's visa are concerned
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.