-Caveat Lector-

From
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa111898.htm?pid=2733&cob=home,
Urban Legends and Folklore:
<snip>
Tampons do not contain asbestos
The claims about residual dioxin in tampons may be debatable, but the claims
about asbestos are pure hogwash. Tampons do not contain asbestos and never
have. Nothing has been published anywhere to even suggest it.
I spoke with an editor of Essence magazine - which according to the email
ran a story recently about asbestos in tampons - and she informed me that
the magazine had never printed any such claims.
Dr. Philip Tierno Jr., chief of clinical microbiology/immunology at NYU
Medical Center and an expert on tampon safety issues, calls the asbestos
allegations "absurd." In a statement for the Menstrual Product Safety
<http://www.mum.org/tamsafty.htm> page of the Museum of Menstruation's
Website, Tierno said he knows from examining manufacturer's documents during
past toxic shock syndrome litigations that asbestos is not a component of
tampons.
As for those two "manufacturers of a cotton tampon alternative" mentioned in
the email - Organic Essentials <http://www.organicessentials.com> and Terra
Femme <http://www.biobiz.com/terrafemme/> - they do exist and do offer
products competing with name-brand tampons, but they don't mention asbestos
anywhere in their promotional literature. The misinformation did not come
from them. We have no way of knowing where it did come from.
<snip>